Ford Mustang Forum banner

(2011-2014 5.0 CEL P0300 Engine Misfire Ford TSB 13-6-15 Crank O Ring Installation)

306K views 669 replies 117 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
my 13 GT hd a check engine light flashing the other day, car started running rough and when i slowed down to turn around and go back home it went off and the car started running fine again. tried it again the next day and was able to duplicate the issue but this time the light stopped flashing and stayed on solid indicating service needed. it's going to be a few days before the dealer can get the car in and the code stored is p0301, the light isnt flashing and the car doesnt appear to be misfiring. is it hurting it to drive it? my other car is a collector car and isnt licensed for daily driving.

#247 ·
I've had my 2013 gt base back 3 times for this CEL misfire issue! The second time back the light was on solid. They preformed the TSB but it didn't work. The 3rd time they had it a week and couldn't duplicate the issue. Since then its done it countless times! It only does it if I drive the car hard BEFORE it completely warms up. So needless to say I drive it like a GRANNY until she's warmed up completely then I get on it! I've learned to just DEAL with it and hope they give me decent $$ for it when I trade it in in a year or 2?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

G
#249 ·
I've had my 2013 gt base back 3 times for this CEL misfire issue! The second time back the light was on solid. They preformed the TSB but it didn't work. The 3rd time they had it a week and couldn't duplicate the issue. Since then its done it countless times! It only does it if I drive the car hard BEFORE it completely warms up. So needless to say I drive it like a GRANNY until she's warmed up completely then I get on it! I've learned to just DEAL with it and hope they give me decent $$ for it when I trade it in in a year or 2?
:sosad: Bought my 2013 Mustang GT 2 weeks ago. Tuesday night the CEL started flashing for 20-30 sec. and quit. Noted a rough idle. Car was not up to operating temp. so I was driving like granny. Wednesday night same thing. Thursday night CEL flashed 2-3 seconds and went to steady on.........bumer! Taking it to local dealer tomorrow morning (Saturday) but after reading this thread I think it is probably futile.
Hello guys,

I recommend you bring your vehicles in to your Ford dealers and have them checked out. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

#248 ·
2013 Mustang GT manual tranny CEL on

:sosad: Bought my 2013 Mustang GT 2 weeks ago. Tuesday night the CEL started flashing for 20-30 sec. and quit. Noted a rough idle. Car was not up to operating temp. so I was driving like granny. Wednesday night same thing. Thursday night CEL flashed 2-3 seconds and went to steady on.........bumer! Taking it to local dealer tomorrow morning (Saturday) but after reading this thread I think it is probably futile.

#253 ·
Staying tuned to this thread for sure. Not sure how many total are affected by this issue versus the guys who have no problems, but hope Ford fixes you guys/gals up soon. I'd like to purchase another mustang in the near future, but threads like these keep me held back for now. However, while I know every car may have issues at least this forum is being monitored/helpded by Ford to assist with issues. I dont see other manufacturers getting as involved in helping out its customers as I do on this forum. So kudos to the techs on here helping us members out. I know they appreciate any help provided and it is what keeps me leaning towards getting another ford.

#254 ·
Had my car at dealer Saturday Feb. 23 they checked EEC system, P0301, Power Bal. No miss at this time. CK mode 6 has 17 miss fire count #1 CYL. and 11 counts #3CYL. Service dept. cleared faults and said I need to drive more miles. The following Monday leaving work CEL flashed aprox 12-15... then Tuesday same thing. Wednesday the CEL came on solid no flashes first. I thought well great, I'll be spending another Saturday at the Ford dealer. (Two in a row:weeps) But Friday the light went out, so I thought no since wasting a Saturday - I know it will happen again.

Well I wasn't wrong Monday afternooon the CEL flashes at least 20 times and goes out. You guessed it Tuesday afternoon same thing. This is Wednesday and I'm betting I'll see a soild yellow CEL before I get home this afternoon....any takers?

I wonder what I will be doing Saturday Morning:mesad:

G
#263 ·
Had my car at dealer Saturday Feb. 23 they checked EEC system, P0301, Power Bal. No miss at this time. CK mode 6 has 17 miss fire count #1 CYL. and 11 counts #3CYL. Service dept. cleared faults and said I need to drive more miles. The following Monday leaving work CEL flashed aprox 12-15...
I sent you a PM, ryates.

So if i take in my car today to the dealer and ask for the TSB they should know what to do rite because mine started doing it about a month ago and i checkd my buld date and it says 2012.9.13 on the window sticker
You can also PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it for you as well, ti1andrezz.

My car ONLY does this when its warming up rite before it reaches operating temperature. If I drive the car VERY easy it never happens! If I "GET ON" the car AT ALL wile its still warming up the CEL will come on "flashing" then go away after 20 seconds or so....http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
Please PM me and let me escalate this for you again, ddinn25.

Deysha

#256 ·
Drive more miles?? I'd be driving to ANOTHER dealership! Or contacting your area CRM!! My issue is the dealership can't duplicate the issue. That can't fix something that isn't there. I'm hoping this will become a RECALL in the next few months??

ddinn25 That was exactly the issue. They could read the missfires but had no clue what caused them. I didn't quallify for the TSB my car was built 12-3. TSB was for built on or before 11-30-12.

Oh buy the way my CEL did come on solid yesterday, but cleared this morning when I started the car to drive to work. I actually hope it goes off again Thursday or Friday so I can waste some more time at the dealer. Want to document a few more attemps by Ford to fix this issue. There is a lemon law here in Florida, if the manufacturer can't fix a problem they can be forced to replace or buy back your car. I don't think they know what to do. I PMed Deysha 3-4 days ago, but have heard nothing yet. Obviously your still living with this issue also?

#259 ·
So i took the car in today at lunch and it spending the night there. i called at 5pm and the guy said he was not able to pull any codes but it was showing a history of misfires. his theory was the altitude we are at here in Denver and the car getting familiar with the altitude and learning. he said it also was warm when i dropped it off and was going to check it early morning on a cold start to see what it does then.

#260 ·
My car ONLY does this when its warming up rite before it reaches operating temperature. If I drive the car VERY easy it never happens! If I "GET ON" the car AT ALL wile its still warming up the CEL will come on "flashing" then go away after 20 seconds or so. Only once has it came on SOLID and stayed on. The CEL light DID go OUT after a few days but the codes were STILL present I had the TSB preformed but it didn't help at all!!!! I've had my car since DEC 4th and now has 4600 miles on it. I'm NOT an asc certified tech but you CANNOT convince me that altitude has ANYTHING to do with the issue since ppl EVERYWHERE are having the same issue! Is ADVISE HIGHLY YOU CONTACT SOMEONE HIGHER UP AT FORD TO HELP GET IT RESOLVED! Ford needs to RECALL these DAMN CARS ALREADY!!!!

#261 ·
yeah ill be checking in on mine today see what the new Theory is. and mine has done it three times since ive had it back in late october, at operating tempertures or just as i pull out of the driveway after i just turned it on so ??? well see. Ford realy should start to get serious and not just wait for the people to ask for it to be fixed they should do a recall or something.

#262 ·
Update: 3202.3 miles, 4 months having the car and no CEL to report. And I have fun with the car when I drive it. :bigthumbsup I'll just leave it at that. C'mon Ford! Something has got to give for those who have this problem.

#264 ·
I know ford is WELL aware of the issue! I know for a fact that several ppl even on here have escalated there issue to engineering. Witch if I'm not mistaken is in Detroit?? This is RIDICULOUS to say the least! I don't even bother taking my car back because I don't want to deal with getting the run around!! I can get there car to do it EVERY time but the dealership CAN'T seem to duplicate the issue even after given SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS! I even offered to have a tech ride along with me and show him but they wouldn't allow the tech to leave the property with ME driving! I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS BS!!

#265 ·
I'm going to give this a little more time or until the car completely takes a crap! I don't have time to go back and forth with the dealership! Last time they had my car for a WEEK! They gave me a rental (after they told me they didn't do rentals) and put me in a car that I wouldn't normally be caught dead in just to get my car back with NO issues found! I've had to burn 3 vacation days and miss out on quite a bit of OT for this issue! So unless ford has found a PERMANENT fix my car isn't going back. Or if I can find a dealership that will ACTUALLY try to fix the problem instead of just reseting the ECU and sending me down the road. I work as industrial maintenance tech. This would be what is know as REPEAT ISSUES and is a big no no! After the second or 3rd call to the same machine for the same issue all hands are on deck and the machine is NOT walked away from until the route cause is found and the issue is resolved! Oh did I mention we make brake calipers,caliper brackets,pads, and ABS/stability control units for ford?? Lol

#266 ·
This would be what is know as REPEAT ISSUES and is a big no no! After the second or 3rd call to the same machine for the same issue all hands are on deck and the machine is NOT walked away from until the route cause is found and the issue is resolved!
Exactly! I work as a civilian T-38 aircraft mechanic for the Air Force. We recently had a T-38 that had a "3-peat" discrepancy with a generator light coming on during flight. Guess what? The aircraft is impounded and will not fly again until this problem is fixed. Simple as that. I wish you the best with this problem ddinn25. I have a buddy at Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor, MI. that's been a Ford mechanic there since 1981. I'm gonna give him a call to see what he knows about this problem and if he's seen any Mustangs coming in with the CEL. And even though I haven't had this problem, it sucks driving a car with a MSRP of over $37K where I'm just waiting for the CEL to flash. Fingers crossed that it never illuminates.

#267 ·
Another 2013 Mustang GT Premium Bites the Dust!

Well I have joined this elite group of CEL disasters this weekend. I have read every single post about this...yes all 18 pages so far. I have to say that I'm not pleased at all. I was driving my friend to the airport on the 163 South here in San Diego and I was going from 4th to 5th at about 4500 RPM I noticed the CEL flashing and the performance was degraded. The CEL flashed for about 20-30 seconds. I slowed the car for about 2 minutes then drove normal again. I dropped off said friend and got on it on the way home and today with no noticed CEL.

This is possible that its happend before without noticing since I drive with my left hand and arm is always in the way where the CEL illuminates. This made me literally sick to my stomach...that I spent $41,000 on a brand new 2013 mustang GT premium with brembo brakes, rear sensors and comfort package. FORD are you kidding me! After owning a 96 Explorer back in the day with nothing but probleems including a CEL I swore I would never buy another Ford then this car hits the market I jump on it and yes you guessed it I get another CEL and bent over by FORD with no real fix to the problem.

I take my car into the shop tomorrow expecting no results. After reading this thread that this has been an issue since last year when the car hit the market and is still an issue with no recall is beyond me. By far this has been my favorite car to date but this CEL issue needs to be resolved. I will keep you all posted. Also Deysha I assume you will want all of my info as well?

G
#271 ·
Well I have joined this elite group of CEL disasters this weekend. I have read every single post about this...yes all 18 pages so far. I have to say that I'm not pleased at all. I was driving my friend to the airport on the 163 South here in San Diego and I was going from 4th to 5th at about 4500 RPM I noticed the CEL flashing and the performance was degraded. The CEL flashed for about 20-30 seconds. I slowed the car for about 2 minutes then drove normal again. I dropped off said friend and got on it on the way home and today with no noticed CEL.

Also Deysha I assume you will want all of my info as well?
Yes, jwbrady. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated for you as well.

Anyone on here had any luck what so ever??? The CRM from ford that is/was working my case/problem did say that he had had this issue before and it was fixed but took a few times of the car being taken back to the dealership to duplicate the issue. I've had mine back 3 times! I do have ONE question for Deysha! Does anyone besides your self see/read these posts? I'm having a VERY hard time believing the big shots at ford don't know about this issue??
Yes, ddinn25. I’ve been keeping our engineering team well aware of this concern. Please continue to work with your CSM. Thank you for your patience and support.

Bought my car in January. At 300 miles and at 1000 miles had check engine light blinking, Brought the car in and Dealership performed TSB 130111A. Week and a half later I get the flashing cel again. The following morning a solid one and took it in. Dealership immediately contacted Ford to get help on how to address this problem. Ford had them change the plugs and coils on cylinders 1,3 and 8. I think it will take more folks bringing in their cars and having Dealerships escalate it up to Ford for any hope of a fix.
Thank you for the update, d5nsa!

Deysha

#268 ·
Anyone on here had any luck what so ever??? The CRM from ford that is/was working my case/problem did say that he had had this issue before and it was fixed but took a few times of the car being taken back to the dealership to duplicate the issue. I've had mine back 3 times! I do have ONE question for Deysha! Does anyone besides your self see/read these posts? I'm having a VERY hard time believing the big shots at ford don't know about this issue??

#269 ·
Bought my car in January. At 300 miles and at 1000 miles had check engine light blinking, Brought the car in and Dealership performed TSB 130111A. Week and a half later I get the flashing cel again. The following morning a solid one and took it in. Dealership immediately contacted Ford to get help on how to address this problem. Ford had them change the plugs and coils on cylinders 1,3 and 8. I think it will take more folks bringing in their cars and having Dealerships escalate it up to Ford for any hope of a fix.

Attachments

#272 ·
Cel update from ford

Ok so I just got home with my car and this is what I was given/told. I have paperwork from the tech and engineer.

Diagnostic performed: Test esc code p0316, check mode 6 found misfire "counds" cylinders 3 and 5, vehicle not missing now. Also looked at mode 9 and pcm data is blank, does show vin number and other data. Dcl data loger display shows Long FT at 13% and Short FT at 5%. No freeze stored with code p0316.

Technician question: Can the K&N lean the engine out enough to cause a miss on accell, also if the PCM data is missing in mode 9 does it have a tune installed? My answer to this is that it is a K&N intake with NO tune and does not void warranty nor hiner performance.

They wanted me to return the old stock intake on and see if problem occurs again.....my answer was half of the people with this problem have stock everything so why would I do that? cricket cricket...

The engineer said there have been reports of false misfires being set. Recommend performing MMNPC Misfire Monitor Profile Correction using the IDS. When performing be sure to depress the clutch during the entire IDS session until the correction is learned. Also make sure to raise the RPM to 6000 when performing this learn procedure. Perform test drive and re evaluate concern. If condition is still present after MMNPC replacement of the crankshaft position sensor would be necessary. Refer to workshop manual section 303-14 Electronic Engine Controls-Removal and Installation Engine Control Components 5.0 4V-CKP sensor.

They also stated that they reset the codes upgraded my PCM and re calibrated something. The service guy at this Ford dealership is top notch and very helpful. Now wether the tech and the engineer got it right lets see. So far since Sunday I have been ok with no CEL concerns.

The guy here at JBA performance has been dealing with Fords for a long...long time and he told me this is normal to happen every now and then in the 09-and up Mustangs. He said with what I described to him is that my vehicle went into limp mode to ensure there is nothing wrong with the cylinders due to a false misfire and once the CEL is off the car comes back to normal and that is what happened with me. I did have a little shimmy and slow when this happened to me so he explained it to a tee. He said if the CEL stays on even after re starting the car then there is more of an issue. He ensured me as of now I have nothing to worry about and this has been a common issue to happen from time to time. I will update if anything else happens.

On a side note they replaced a stitch in the driver seat due to it coming out and everything is fine with it but when Ford got the bill they told the dealer that is a no no due to airbags being in the seat so they have to replace my entire seat (leather) cover which is big bucks to them. So if anything happens to you like this make sure they know they have to replace the entire seat cover and will need your car for a half day. So this will make 3 trips to the dealer in less than 4 months of having the car.

G
#277 ·
Ok so I just got home with my car and this is what I was given/told. I have paperwork from the tech and engineer...
Thanks for the update, jwbrady! Let me know if if comes back please.

Well.. this thread is epic :) Guess it's time for me to join the forums and join the CEL club. Here goes...
Congrats on the new baby girl, kwg!! Please let me escalate this to the customer service manager for your area. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Car back from dealer 3 weeks ago. 1st week back 2 episodes of flashing CEL and one solid. The solid cleared the next morning so I decided not to take the car in. Figured no codes could be found. 2nd week the exact same thing, but late in the week a Ford CSM called me. Thanks Deysha.
Thanks for the update, ryates!

Deysha

#273 ·
Well.. this thread is epic :) Guess it's time for me to join the forums and join the CEL club. Here goes...

My first experience with the CEL came on Sunday 3/10 and pretty much ruined my birthday. I have read the posts here and would like to offer my data to the pool, because I think it may throw a monkey wrench in a few of the current theories.

Central Texas
Altitude about 450ft
Temp 67f, sunny, bit of a head wind (gusts up to 15)
2013 5.0, manual transmission, 3.73, bone stock, build date 10/12
906.4mi, 2.5 weeks owned
system info all normal, no vehicle health report because I never set that up

Drove up an 80mph toll road at 80-90mph for about 45 min. In 6th for nearly all of it, no cruise control (will not use until after 1000mi, old habit). Perfect day for a drive. Get off the toll road and come to a stop sign and the car chugs down a bit. Maybe 300rpm, then corrects. My 2011 did that from time to time so I don't think anything of it. Started to go from the stop and the car bogs down, lurches, then sputters. I swear I hear a ding/chime and look at the dash. CEL is on. I stopped the car and called Ford for a tow. Now, to be clear, "started to go from the stop" does not mean "launched". I was driving calmly and was low on the throttle until the car started chugging, then pumped the gas to keep it from dying in the intersection. CEL was solid even after restart.

Ford offers to tow the car to the nearest dealer (not one I would go to normally) not the one I bought it from. I text my salesman on his day off and he contacts me back and let's me rant a bit. Car has to stay the night at the tow yard because no one is open on Sunday.

Service department gets the car on Monday and calls me to get the story. As if having my car die on my birthday wasn't ironic enough, I have to quickly rattle off what I know to the tech because, surprise, our baby that was due on 3/29 was coming early. Long and unrelated story short, it's a girl and she is perfectly healthy...guess she just didn't want to wait. Tech calls me a few hours later and tells me the car is ready, just needed reprogrammed. I was unaware of this thread as of yet. For obvious reasons, the car stayed at the dealer until this morning (Tuesday 3/12).

First service report states the following:
120111A TSB
etc, etc
reprogrammed pcm and reset miss fire profile per tsb 12-01-11 745

Drove out of the parking lot. Chug, blinking CEL and I literally have not even passed the dealer's lot. Not even 1/10th of a mile. Second CEL problem. This time it's about 45-50f and the car is cold. Maybe 2k rpm in second gear, not even half throttle. There was no traffic coming down the access road so I didn't need to push it. Oddly, similar headwind at about 10mph.

This part of Texas has one way access roads, so I have to go through a turn around to get back to the dealer, but the light goes out and the car behaves at the stop sign. So I drove as gentle as I could down to the dealer I bought it from, looked up and read this thread while I waited for my salesman, told him what I found, talked to the service manager and the tech and left my car there.

Told the tech about the temporary code while pulling out of the other dealership. Told him about "holding at 3000-4000 rpm" suggestions to try and reproduce it. I really feel like he has a pretty good grasp on the issue and that the TSB may not be a fix. I will try and get back with an update as soon as they finish repair #2 and as soon as I get mama and the baby settled in at home.

Sorry to be so long winded, just trying to be thorough.

--
Bryan "kwg"

#276 ·
Car back from dealer 3 weeks ago. 1st week back 2 episodes of flashing CEL and one solid. The solid cleared the next morning so I decided not to take the car in. Figured no codes could be found. 2nd week the exact same thing, but late in the week a Ford CSM called me. Thanks Deysha. We discussed the issue and I express my concern that without trouble codes, no headway would be made with the car sitting at the shop. Very nice person, agreed to "see what happens" and call me in a week. This is 3rd week-Monday a session of flashing CEL 20 sec. on 10 off three times in a row. Tuesday one 20 sec. flash. Wednesday 2 20 sec. CEL flashes with 10 sec. in between and a follow up by the Ford CSM. She convinced me to take the car in. I dropped it off this morning (Thursday) CEL flashed for 20 sec. on the way in. Left the car running while the dealer rep. took my info incase codes were in memory. We will see what happens now.

My car is bone stock, 13 GT manual tranny. I run only 93 Oct. gas, I live in Fl. a 14 Ft. above sea level. The cars built date 12-3-12, not eligible for the TSB. This always happens within the 1st minute to 5 minutes after start. So a cold motor, if cold is 80F (live in Florida, incase you missed that) and I am deffinently not driving my new car hard with the motor not up to temp. This started at 900 miles and I now have 1900 miles. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle:kooky:

#320 ·
car back so far so good

Car back from dealer 3 weeks ago. 1st week back 2 episodes of flashing CEL and one solid. The solid cleared the next morning so I decided not to take the car in. Figured no codes could be found. 2nd week the exact same thing, but late in the week a Ford CSM called me. Thanks Deysha. We discussed the issue and I express my concern that without trouble codes, no headway would be made with the car sitting at the shop. Very nice person, agreed to "see what happens" and call me in a week. This is 3rd week-Monday a session of flashing CEL 20 sec. on 10 off three times in a row. Tuesday one 20 sec. flash. Wednesday 2 20 sec. CEL flashes with 10 sec. in between and a follow up by the Ford CSM. She convinced me to take the car in. I dropped it off this morning (Thursday) CEL flashed for 20 sec. on the way in. Left the car running while the dealer rep. took my info incase codes were in memory. We will see what happens now.

My car is bone stock, 13 GT manual tranny. I run only 93 Oct. gas, I live in Fl. a 14 Ft. above sea level. The cars built date 12-3-12, not eligible for the TSB. This always happens within the 1st minute to 5 minutes after start. So a cold motor, if cold is 80F (live in Florida, incase you missed that) and I am deffinently not driving my new car hard with the motor not up to temp. This started at 900 miles and I now have 1900 miles. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle:kooky:
Pick my car up 3-16-13. After consulting with Ford hot line they replaced crank position sensor and did a neutral correction procedure. I know from thread several people have "been there done that" but that was 9 days and 500 miles ago. The cel was coming on almost daily before, not a flicker. I also can tell car idles smoother. I'm optimistic but time will tell.:hihi:

#280 ·
update - CEL tripped again

Took the car out for testing around 10am on Friday. Ran for about 30 miles or so and crossed the 1000mi mark while testing, so I decided to really get on her for the first time. As much as I am frustrated at this issue, damn this is a nice car :p Anyway, no CEL on that run that I saw. Problem with that blinking CEL is that I have to spend a lot of time staring at the dash, which isn't safe driving.

test #1: 65f, 70% humidity - pass

Took the car out again at 1:30p for a 10 mile test run. No CEL that I saw, but again, hard to see if you are not staring at the dash. Traffic was a little thicker than I thought it would be (thanks SXSW) so I really didn't get a chance to do any of the specific rpm/gear tests before she warmed up all the way.

test #2: 80f, 27% humidity - pass

Woke up at 5am today (Sat) and noticed that this would be the coldest I had to test the car again until next winter so I decided to go out for another test. Blinking CEL within a mile. So I can confirm that 130111A did not fix the problem for me. I could only trip it for a few seconds and I was holding 4th gear at 4k, but once that light blinks the temporary code should store. Light did not go steady, car did not misfire or hesitate this time.

test #3: 57f, 87% humidity - failed in 4th gear at 4k

Going to call my service rep in a few hours when they open and get the car back down there. Thankfully this isn't my daily driver. I am pretty frustrated now that 10% of my total miles has been testing/working on this problem, though. Wishing I still had my reader so I could verify the code is in there before I take it all the way south to the dealer.

--
kwg

#281 ·
Car didn't store the codes. That irks me and makes me suspicious of the last reprogram. It stored them before.

Leaving her at service so they can test her cold. Talked to the sales manager about it. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm in Texas and we are rapidly approaching other, more aggravating options, but I'd really like to give the dealership and Ford the chance to find a solution that works for me. So far this dealership has been great and I have yet to talk to the CSM, so I'm still hopeful.

Just getting harder and harder to keep a smile on my face. Starting to wish I'd just bought the GT500.

--
Kwg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.