Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Is it bad to rest your foot on the clutch pedal while in gear?
View Single Post
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
12blackgt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
Therein lies the problem ... people are creatures of habit and will tend to do unintended things. People often speed up or slow down if they aren't 100% attentive to their speed. Studies have shown that people use more gas when listening to ie. rock music while driving because they tend to modulate their speed based on the song tempo.

[As a related side note, of interest is this short video: HowStuffWorks Videos "Ralph Teetor: Cruise Control" ]

Of course if you're "touching" the pedal isn't an issue, but the weight of your foot "resting on it" can be enough to lessen the clutch pressure. It also depends on the car; my Focus's clutch is easier to depress than the Mustang. The weight of my foot would partially depress it.

The best way to avoid it entirely is to not pick up the habit at all.

And I can't say for your driver's ed but way back when I took mine 30 years ago you "covered the brake" not the clutch. You had to pay extra to take the manual transmission drivers ed course (probably to defray the cost of clutch replacement, lol) and they told you to always keep your foot off the clutch unless you were shifting.
Cover the brake with an auto tranny, but my manual tranny driver's education be it motorcyle or automobile was clutch then brake. As such you covered the clutch pedal so you'd be ready in case there was a panic brake. Reason being in a manual tranny car you can induce axle hop if the tranny is engaged in the wrong gear during a panic stop. As such it's clutch then brake and you're covered for all scenarios. The OP started this saying something to the effect of "occasionally I rest my foot on the clutch pedal". I still maintain "resting" your foot on the clutch is more than fine. If you "rest" your foot on the clutch and partially engage it and can't tell you've got more problems than just a bad foot resting spot!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome