Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hollowing cats

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kscoyote 
#1 ·
hi i was wondering how or if i can hollow my cats on my 1998 mustang v6 5 speed i wasnt sure how to because there are 4 of them and the way they bend thanks for the help

#2 ·
if you are looking to do this all you would need is a sharpened broom stick and punch through the first set of cats. The second set are resignators, and I dont think that they can be punched. I woulntd go any bigger then an inch when doing this.

#3 ·
I've been told to drive the car around and get the cats hot. Then, spray cold water through the tail pipes and the catalyst material will break up and spray out your exhaust. Don't know if it actually works or not. The right way would be to remove the cats and break the internals apart by hand with some sort of hard, sharp object.

#4 ·
troooper01 said:
hi i was wondering how or if i can hollow my cats on my 1998 mustang v6 5 speed i wasnt sure how to because there are 4 of them and the way they bend thanks for the help
Why? you won't gain anything . . . you have 2!! cats and a single exhaust. Your cats aren't interrupting flow, and even WITH the cats and dual exhaust, it's entirely possible to have TOO MUCH flow, and lose all your torque and low RPM hp.

The cats don't hinder performance on a stock cammed and headed engine.

#6 ·
troooper01 said:
so are u saying the hollowing my cats will hurt my car or what.. i am putting dual on it thats why i wanted to hollow them out
They don't do anything to harm the performance of the car, there is a BIGGER danger in putting on duals that are larger than 2.25"

That will kill your performance, -the cats aren't a restriction, the danger is going too large on dual pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.