Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - SO Confused on Subwoofers and Amp Compatibility
View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2013
mtu245
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Yup your on the right track.

I believe I used this one for my amp install. It does include 16 gauge speaker wires. I used them for my front speaker install with my amp. But the wires would be useless to you. It was super quality kit though. I think the shops that did my installs in HS used Stinger or Kicker wiring kits. NVX XAPK4 100% Copper 4 Gauge Car Amp Wire Kit with Speaker Cable

I used this for wires from the amp to the sub box. I think the 12 gauge or 10 gauge wires will work fine for your setup. StreetWires SCP1215BL 15 ft. of 12 Gauge Speaker Cable (Blue)

Basically, all you need is a 4 gauge wire kit or a 0-2 gauge kit if that amp will accept that large of a wire (0-2 gauge would be overkill though honestly for your setup). That MB Quart amp only needs 4 gauge. EDIT: 2 gauge power and ground wire is great if you think you might use a larger amp in the future. The lower gauge wire is thicker and can take more power through it for large power amps.

For your subs you can use 10 gauge or 12 gauge speaker wire from the amp to the custom box. A set of RCA's as well from the head unit to the amplifier. 12-16ft should be enough, but you can measure to check.

You don't have to go super overboard on these accessories though. They can really add up. 80 bucks + 30 bucks + 30 bucks etc. So just be careful. Don't go for the cheapest crap, because most likely their 4 gauge kit might be really thin wire that's like 8 gauge. Treat it kind of like Home Theater cables. $190 HDMI cables are great for peace of mind and performance ability, but not always necessary. If you have the money feel free to use 'em though

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome