Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 2002 V6 3.8L Mustang Mods?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2005 Thread Starter
sLiPpY

Exclamation 2002 V6 3.8L Mustang Mods?

Hi, i was just given a (AUTOMATIC (yea... i know... )Mustang for my birthday/christmas/congrats on the license...

I'm looking into modifying some of the parts to performance parts, and was looking for some information on what to do right off the bat.

I've been told to modify 4 things to start out

1. Put in a cold air intake.
I was told to look at K&N, but after browsing the forums, i've noticed a lot of you have different brands, etc. Please guide me on the advantages and disadvantages of certain CAI's. My auto teacher also told me that some of the intakes are actually pointed down towards the road, or backwards towards the engine block, so I really don't know a lot about cars, anyway, just help me out with what the best options for that would be please

2. Change exhaust system
They've told me to change(or add?) exhaust headers coming out of the exhaust manifold to enlarge the amount of exhaust coming off the engine, and then add a dual exhaust... now, i've also heard that i need to change the body if i'm getting dual exhausts because the v6mustang bodys are only set up for single... is that true? and if so, how would i go about converting a single to dual exhaust (PLEASE keep in mind, i'm RETARTED when it comes to cars, and probably won't understand what you mean by X or H pipe. Also, do i need 2 cat's, one for each pipe? would'nt that LESSEN horsepower?

3. Performance chip
They told me to go to a dealership and have them custom make a performance chip for me, preferably one that takes off the governor that everyone complained about on mustangs lol. I don't really know anything about chips, but someone said to get a diablo chip... i don't know where to find them, and im lookin for the best deal, so once again, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

4. Throttle body
I don't know anything about this, or even what it does, but my auto teacher said this should be swapped out for a performance part...

Thank you a thousand times for offering me your help and reading my post, I'm really glad to become a member here.

-sLiPpY

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome