Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 90lxwhite

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Shocks and Struts Time...

I am leaning towards Bilstiens but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations.

2001 GT, FRPP C Springs, Daily Driver, occasional drag strip but not a priority anymore. Looking to improve overall ride quality. Current shocks and struts are OEM type replacements KYB Excel GR2.

As always, TIA!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Also, should I buy Fox length or stick with 94-04 length struts?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Looking at the price of bilsteins I may go ahead and go coil-over up front at the same time. Do the rear shocks with Konis or Tokico Blues.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016
BOSS Member

with regards to shocks.....IMHO:

1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications

2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock forstreet/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street(such as Bridgstone or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), theseprovide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability- but I will also say this...Bilstein has had QA issues for the past few years and seems to vary at any time..although they do stand behind their warranty.

3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications (these are really not oem equivalents). Ifyou are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires withprofiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness thatyou need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are theequivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffnessbetween the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2'svalving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-justunits.

4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEMreplacement type unit.

The thing to remember, if you get a shock that is too stiff, you will loose tire patch traction.....any shock you select for street use on these cars should have (IMHO) 1.5 inches of both give/take to allow for road conditions and also allow the tires and suspension components to do their job.......

5) Monroe- stay away from that junk!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Shocks and Struts Time...

I have the same shocks and struts as you on my '95 with ford B springs and I enjoy the setup. Decent handing at speeds that will kill you and it's not too rough of a ride. If better ride quality is what you're after, progressive rate springs will get you there without being too mushy. It'd also be a lot cheaper than $200 a strut. I think coil-overs would be "overkill" for a street/strip 98% street car. It seems like too much of a hassle for what you'd be doing with it. "Gotta get 'em dialed in and the camber just right so I can scoot aground the express way more aggressively on the way to the office."
My fox had koni str-t's and they were no better and no worse than the KYB gr2's. It had Eibach sportline springs and they were horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beechkid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page