Question about 5.4 swap - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question about 5.4 swap

So I'm the new guy on the block!!! And before I posted this question I search for the answer, so I'm sorry if it has been answered. I currently have the 4.6 in my 01 gt. In the near future I plan on doing the 5.4 swap. However I am currently in the process of upgrading my cooling system (radiator, cooling fan, etc.). My question is.....Is this something that I will have to do again for the swap or will I be able to keep it? If this will just hook up to the 5.4 and I hope it will, does anyone have any recommendations on a radiator and/or fan I should get?

I have been leaning towards mishimoto.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017
GT Member

Garage
Your cooling parts will work just fine. A 5.4 is just a tall 4.6. And I would recommend mishimoto. I've had mine for about 5 years and it's great. I'll get a little more in depth about the swap as soon as I can get to my computer.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I appreciate any info I can get.

Thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017
GT Member

Garage
Biggest hurdles to jump when doing a 5.4 swap is the intake manifold, and headers. You can really only run shorty headers because of how wide the deck is and you'll have to widen your h-pipe. So the intake situation, you could either get an edelbrock intake and have a machine shop cut it right down the middle and widen it to fit or you could find an hps hardballer intake, or there are adapter plates that you can get to use a pi intake but it messes with the injector location. You'll also need to cut the hoses off your fuel rails and widen that to fit the intake.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok thanks. Do you recommend a certain year for the engine or vehicle? 2v or 4v? I know the 4v is more work, but is it worth it?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRinaldi3 View Post
Ok thanks. Do you recommend a certain year for the engine or vehicle? 2v or 4v? I know the 4v is more work, but is it worth it?
4v isnt necessarily more work as all the sensors and everything are the same. Then you have to find an intake manifold to fit under a reasonable hood. If you can do a 4v 5.4L, thats what I would do. The 5.4 needs SOOOOO much air to make good power, the 2v heads just cant do it because the valve opening is too small. Trick flow heads could do it but that adds to cost.

1998 GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks you been a lot of help.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Is there a certain year for the engine that I should be looking for either 2v and 4v?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRinaldi3 View Post
Is there a certain year for the engine that I should be looking for either 2v and 4v?
If looking for a 2V, you want one with PI heads, which probably anything 2001+ (not too sure on the 5.4s but I think 2001+ is correct).

For a 4V...I'm not sure...Any 4V will be fine, the later ones (2003+) will have better heads ("C" Heads). If you can find an engine with "C" Heads and 9 thread spark plug holes than that is a bonus. Those are the cream of the crop when it comes to "C" Heads.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

So I've heard a lot about the 2v and 4v, why does nobody talk about the 3v? Again sorry for the ignorance, I'm just starting to learn about this stuff hahahahaha. I have someone to do all the work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page