• 1 Post By pdogg74

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
What exhaust should I get?

Another exhaust thread....

I'm tired of my flowmasters, I'm tired of my pieced together cat-back (Pypes Flow Tubes, Flowmasters Super 44s, Dynomax Tailpipes). Starting to look horrible, pipes are pinched and crap from all the times I've had it on/off...flow tubes are rusting...just ready for something new.

Here are the systems I'm looking at....what say you?

- SLP LM2 catback
- Pypes Pype Bomb catback
- Pypes Violator catback

Current mods are: Cams, BBK Short Tube Headers, Pypes Off Road H Pipe.

I'm wanting a quality catback that sounds good, is loud but not obnoxious. I am leaning towards the SLP since it's modular in design, looks hella good, and is very high quality.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017
Apprentice

When I get a new cat back soon, I'll be going with the Pype Bomb. They sound mean paired up with an X Pipe. I'm sure they'd be great with the h pipe as well.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

SLP ftw! In addition to the quality and arguably the sexist tips you'll ever see on one of these cars, what I have enjoyed is that there are 2 different resonators (the 1 and the 2) and also the Powerflo mufflers. I've had all 3 over the years, so if you get bored or it's too quiet or too loud then changing it up is pretty easy.

The LM2 resonators I think will be perfect. Plenty loud but not too loud. If you change your mind and need to quiet it down in the future then get the Powerflo's (#31065, I think Jegs or Summit still carries them).

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017
GT Member

Garage
Definitely go with SLP. I had it on my car and loved the fitment and quality of the work. I actually fitted my old magnaflow mufflers into my SLP catback. Then without a doubt, the tips look the best. The only problem I had with mine was the over axle clamp kept coming off and the pipe would come apart. I finally welded it up there.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04Gt View Post
When I get a new cat back soon, I'll be going with the Pype Bomb. They sound mean paired up with an X Pipe. I'm sure they'd be great with the h pipe as well.
They do sound great. I know SLPs quality is better than Pypes and I want a quality exhaust. Pypes Pype Bomb is not totally out of the question though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
SLP ftw! In addition to the quality and arguably the sexist tips you'll ever see on one of these cars, what I have enjoyed is that there are 2 different resonators (the 1 and the 2) and also the Powerflo mufflers. I've had all 3 over the years, so if you get bored or it's too quiet or too loud then changing it up is pretty easy.

The LM2 resonators I think will be perfect. Plenty loud but not too loud. If you change your mind and need to quiet it down in the future then get the Powerflo's (#31065, I think Jegs or Summit still carries them).
The modular design is very appealing for me especially...I change exhausts a lot so to be able to go through the 3 is right up my alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post
Definitely go with SLP. I had it on my car and loved the fitment and quality of the work. I actually fitted my old magnaflow mufflers into my SLP catback. Then without a doubt, the tips look the best. The only problem I had with mine was the over axle clamp kept coming off and the pipe would come apart. I finally welded it up there.
Good to hear another plus on the quality. It's one reason why I'm leaning towards it. Quality exhaust for a semi-decent price.

Keep the opinions coming...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Well Amazon has Borla Stinger Catbacks for like $578 right now...that's probably the system I'm going to get. I'll keep you all in the loop thought.

It's either Borla Stingers or SLP LM2...depends on price on Amazon when I pull the trigger.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017
Rookie

Garage
Hello and yes I four am jumping on the SLP BAND WAGON. I own a MACH1 4.6 DOHC with stock headers and mid-H pipe and my SLP cat-back exhaust sounds really good. When I get my BBK long tube headers and BBK catted hi-flo H-pipe, I may switch them to SLP 2 so it can keep that deep throating sound. Because you have aftermarket H-pipe and headers the exhaust restriction is less meaning more flow of air is out and you may want to go to SLP2. I did 5 months of research, listening to youtube exhaust clips, American Muscle exhaust clips, price and trolling (not in a bad way) as many mustang forums and threads on the subject. I finally concluded that SLP was the best brand to buy, due to price, sturdiness, SOUND, the interchangeable mufflers (SLP/SLP2/SLP FLOWS I think is the name) and last but not least looks. Good luck and FYI do your homework on catback exhaust and midpipes, some combos from what I read in the different threads of various forums are not good combos. Let us all know what you finally choose.

Ford Mustang 2003 Mach1 Torch Red (D3)
8in black antenna / Exceedy Stage 2 Clutch 450
Ford Racing Billett FlyWheel / JLT CAI/JLT OIL CC/MGW SS
17/275-315 Nitto 555 / Offset Semi-Black Gloss Saleen Rims
Pioneer Touch Screen / J&L Amp /2 J&L 10" Subwoofers in a Box/ SLP Catback Exhaust/ BAMA Tuner
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg74 View Post
Hello and yes I four am jumping on the SLP BAND WAGON. I own a MACH1 4.6 DOHC with stock headers and mid-H pipe and my SLP cat-back exhaust sounds really good. When I get my BBK long tube headers and BBK catted hi-flo H-pipe, I may switch them to SLP 2 so it can keep that deep throating sound. Because you have aftermarket H-pipe and headers the exhaust restriction is less meaning more flow of air is out and you may want to go to SLP2. I did 5 months of research, listening to youtube exhaust clips, American Muscle exhaust clips, price and trolling (not in a bad way) as many mustang forums and threads on the subject. I finally concluded that SLP was the best brand to buy, due to price, sturdiness, SOUND, the interchangeable mufflers (SLP/SLP2/SLP FLOWS I think is the name) and last but not least looks. Good luck and FYI do your homework on catback exhaust and midpipes, some combos from what I read in the different threads of various forums are not good combos. Let us all know what you finally choose.
I'll definitely update this thread. I'm pretty undecided between Borla Stingers and SLP LM2...

I was driving around today and though "man, I wish my exhaust was LOUD!!" Which it could be if I wanted LM1 in for a bit and then switch to LM2s when I get sick of it...I will probably go SLP but nothing beats the Borla Stingers on our cars...first world problems.

I'm waiting for my yearly bonus to come in before I pull the trigger.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017
PONY Member

Borla!!! I've had mine on my car since 2002. They've been around for a long time, quality, sound great (not to loud but nice) and stainless steel, (wont rust) I've had no issues with mine. You'll love them Glad to be back!!
Urambo Tauro likes this.

2001GT
4:10's and all the bolt-ons
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 075581 View Post
Borla!!! I've had mine on my car since 2002. They've been around for a long time, quality, sound great (not to loud but nice) and stainless steel, (wont rust) I've had no issues with mine. You'll love them Glad to be back!!
Whats up man! Where you been?!

Good feedback on Borla!

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Whats up man! Where you been?!

Good feedback on Borla!
Great to be back!!! I moved into a house (I built part of it) and with my little guy running around (he's 2 1/2) its crazy busy, You know kids lol. Winter kind of takes a toll up here and really don't drive my car much Good to see you still going strong on here helping everyone out. You and SoCal are the faces of this forum, keep it up!!!!!!!

2001GT
4:10's and all the bolt-ons
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I just ordered my new exhaust...AND new shocks and struts...I ended up with the:

Pypes Pype Bomb Catback
Koni STR.T Shocks and Struts

I ended up with Pypes because I love the sound. Listened to a lot of you tube videos & it allowed me to get Shocks and Struts which I need badly! I'll be happy with the purchase. I already know I like the M-80 mufflers. I'll post a video I'm sure. It should sound pretty good and daily driveable (probably better than my current Flows).

Rookie

I am in the process of installing the Borla Stinger exhaust with BBK mid pipe (w/Cats). I left the stock manifolds on because someone here said that unless you are putting on long tube headers, you won't gain much. It's on the lifts now so I will let you know how it goes after it's done. I went with Borla for the stainless and the reviews it received. I am 46 so loud was nice in the 80's with my Nova but all I want is a mean sound and free flowing exhaust. Good luck.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightersink View Post
I am in the process of installing the Borla Stinger exhaust with BBK mid pipe (w/Cats). I left the stock manifolds on because someone here said that unless you are putting on long tube headers, you won't gain much. It's on the lifts now so I will let you know how it goes after it's done. I went with Borla for the stainless and the reviews it received. I am 46 so loud was nice in the 80's with my Nova but all I want is a mean sound and free flowing exhaust. Good luck.
You will like that setup. I couldn't justify spending that much money on the Borlas knowing I needed Struts and front tires/alignment.

I got my exhaut on last night. I'll post an actual review but I'm enjoying it. Very deep, about the same loudness as my old setup. I'll drive it a little more and let the mufflers break-in. The tips looks great though.

Rookie

Garage
Hay man sounds like a good deal, at the end all that matters is YOUR HAPPY.

JonR2006 likes this.

Ford Mustang 2003 Mach1 Torch Red (D3)
8in black antenna / Exceedy Stage 2 Clutch 450
Ford Racing Billett FlyWheel / JLT CAI/JLT OIL CC/MGW SS
17/275-315 Nitto 555 / Offset Semi-Black Gloss Saleen Rims
Pioneer Touch Screen / J&L Amp /2 J&L 10" Subwoofers in a Box/ SLP Catback Exhaust/ BAMA Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page