What are some things you've done to your car? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

What are some things you've done to your car?

Looking for cheaper things I can do to spruce up my car a bit. 2002 mustang gt 4.6.

Eg; interior acccessories, smaller easy performance mods, or even easy maintenance items.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017
PONY Member

I think wheels and tires make or break a vehicle. You can really alter the personality of a car with that one simple (yet expensive) mod.

I'm one of those guys who likes cars to be original or close to it, so I haven't done a lot of cosmetic stuff to mine other than the wheels and tires. I'm focused primarily on maintaining a clean and good looking original specimen, because it's hard to find older Mustangs that haven't been ridden hard and hung up wet.

Other than that, my money goes into performance. I don't have much to spend on it, but with the few mods in my signature mine put down an extra 40 HP/50 lbs. ft. of torque over stock on the dyno last month.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
What is cheap?

Cosmetically:
1) FIRST mod any 99-04 Gt owner should do is a Mach 1 chin spoiler and grill delete. Hands down the best mod to do cosmetically.
2) Lowering springs. Gets rid of the 4x4 look. Completely changes the look of the car.
3) Wheels and Tires...this is expensive in my book at $1000+ unless you find used.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
What is cheap?

Cosmetically:
1) FIRST mod any 99-04 Gt owner should do is a Mach 1 chin spoiler and grill delete. Hands down the best mod to do cosmetically.
2) Lowering springs. Gets rid of the 4x4 look. Completely changes the look of the car.
3) Wheels and Tires...this is expensive in my book at $1000+ unless you find used.
Yes I forgot #1. I did do that, because the car looked retarded when it was stock.

I did #2 also, but only because I got those for free from a buddy.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017
PONY Member

Color matching some interior trim pieces is an inexpensive touch, that gives an otherwise bland interior a nice custom feel to it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue02 View Post
Color matching some interior trim pieces is an inexpensive touch, that gives an otherwise bland interior a nice custom feel to it.
Welcome back man. Is your car out of hibernation yet?

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ashlander Send a message via MSN to Ashlander
You could do an s197 front seat swap. They're about nicer and more comfortable, and can be found fairly cheap with some effort.

Also to go along with the other user that suggested color matching some of your interior, you could also get a handbrake and shift boot from these guys to match. They're quality looks good, but I don't have any personal experience with them. I think they might do custom seat upholstery too, but would be a little more expensive.
Ford Mustang 1999-04 shift boot - RedlineGoods leather shift boot store

There are also spacers you can get to push your rear wheels out more flush with the wheel wells. Cheaper alternative to getting new rims, if you're alright with the ones you got.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Welcome back man. Is your car out of hibernation yet?
Nope, not for another month or so. I check back every now and again, but work has had me plenty busy for awhile now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlander View Post
You could do an s197 front seat swap. They're about nicer and more comfortable, and can be found fairly cheap with some effort.
How hard is it to swap these in?

To answer the original question, hood struts were one of the first things I did to mine. You can also get the carbon fiber radiator covers or the billet fluid reservoir caps if you like underhood dress-up. And midpipes can be picked up for less than $200 used which is good for a decent performance bump.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ashlander Send a message via MSN to Ashlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40th GT View Post
How hard is it to swap these in?
From what I've read, not too difficult. The working is the same color, so splicing the word is easy enough, and you can get by with modifying our stock brackets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page