So who should I go with for TUNES? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So who should I go with for TUNES?

I have an x4 for my 01gt and after changing to the bank 78mm TB I decided I could use a custom tune. I am just wondering who you all would recommend for the job? I thought about bama and the tunes for life you can purchase and then people tell me horror stories about bama so I was wondering about others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017
PONY Member

Yea I would definitely advise against bama. I hear Lund tunes are pretty good.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I checked onto Lund but they do not deal with my year any more. However while looking up Lund I ran across Steeda has any one had experience with them?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tball1976 View Post
I checked onto Lund but they do not deal with my year any more. However while looking up Lund I ran across Steeda has any one had experience with them?
I had the same question as you about a year ago when I added a intake that required a tune on my 2006 GT. I found from research Steeda was very conservative with their tunes so VERY safe, but not the best to get all the power. (So depends how you take that.) Bama is who I went with and I never got their tune to work. Dyno tunes is the only way I would go for the future when I tune... All mail order tunes are a waste of money in my opinion after doing hours or research.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Brenspeed is good alternative for email tunes.

Personally, with just the 78mm tb/plenum I don't think you need a tune. With all bolt ons, no tune is necessarily required.

Do you have an auto tranny?

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017
PONY Member

I used Bama tunes for about a year and a half or so, and while it is nice to get "free tunes for life" and all that, I found that getting the car set up the way I liked was a pain in the ***. I'd either have detonation/pinging, or the transmission shifting would be garbage, or sometimes both.

Last month I decided to say screw it and paid $350 for a custom dyno tune at my local performance shop, done by a guy who is well know across many states for his knowledge of Mustangs. The difference is night and day. Transmission shifting is PERFECT and dialed in like I wanted it with the very first attempt. Car makes 261 HP at the wheels on 89 octane fuel and has NO pinging or detonation. There's no telling what the car would have done on high octane. I kind of wished I'd tuned it with at least 93 octane in the tank now. I might have gone beyond 310 flywheel horsepower. If you can afford it, I suggest going the dyno tune route.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017
PONY Member

I added a Bama tune last year, on a mildly modified 02. I have not run in to all the issues some have experienced. I would not say it transformed my car into a beast or anything, but she runs smooth and strong. nothing negative to say about my experience with them. In my opinion there is no question that a dyno tune will always be superior to a canned tune, but a lot has to do with how modified and what your driving style is.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017
PONY Member

I would also recommend Brenspeed. Had driveability issues with Bama in the past.
It's $95 for a single tune from Brenspeed which isn't bad. VMP is another option too but I'm not sure if they deal with 2v's.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangbang36 View Post
Yea I would definitely advise against bama. I hear Lund tunes are pretty good.
Why do you advise against BAMA???
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
Why do you advise against BAMA???
Not to answer for them, but I to advised in this thread and others against them. BAMA seems to be having wide spread running issues among their clients with tunes. This statement is backed across many different threads on many different forums sites. I have a couple threads of issues here on our forum where I was having issues that were linked to their tune. Heck I never got my car to run right when I was running the tune. I would put it back to stock and run like a champ then put tune on and boom issues. So I blew over $400 for something I could never get working right. Called them over 3 times and got multiple different tunes and none worked so I just gave up...

If or when I ever tune a car again dyno will be the only way I go. The BAMA "mail order" tunes experience ruined the taste for trying any mail order tune again...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
PONY Member

I got a BAMA tune from them almost a year ago and it works just fine.....made a couple adjustments due to some changes I made and never a problem!! They are very customer oriented and called me back on weekends so KUDOS to BAMA!!

I think a lot of folks expect 50 HP from an email tune but the best you can get is improved throttle response and better street manners......20 HP maybe!!
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I got a BAMA tune from them almost a year ago and it works just fine.....made a couple adjustments due to some changes I made and never a problem!! They are very customer oriented and called me back on weekends so KUDOS to BAMA!!

I think a lot of folks expect 50 HP from an email tune but the best you can get is improved throttle response and better street manners......20 HP maybe!!
You are one of the few with good results it seems these days. I uploaded mine and the car would cut of randomly when coming to a stop when the tune was engaged... So I wish I had the same results as you. Didn't care really a lot about how much HP I just wanted my car to run right with the intake I bought... Never could get that to happen after many retune attempts...

I loved AM and their customer service was always spot on especially here on the forum. Although it seems they have pulled off the forum like the Ford reps did for whatever reason. Bama customer service was nice when talking to them and never had issues there. Just had issues getting their tunes to work and that is the whole other story where it is bad...

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
PONY Member

What "intake" and why......just curious??
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
What "intake" and why......just curious??
It was a JLT series 3 intake and Bama 93 tune.

Why because well why not... haha Intake and tune are the most common mods aren't they? haha

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

so far I have the standard SCT 93 tune on but like I said I am adding the 78mm TB and yes I understand that you don't need the tune I would like to dial everything in just a bit More and for what I am looking for and everything I could find a nice mail tune would work. Not looking for a miracle just a little change.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page