97 gt rwhp - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenji Harris View Post
Yea definitely that is impressive, motivates me to get a custom tune, how much difference did you notice in mpg?
If I stick to the speed limit, my car will still average 19 MPGs. This is exactly what it was getting before the dyno tuning. However, if I romp on it the MPGs go down quickly.

The 3.73 gears are what really killed my MPGs. On stock gears, this car would average low 20s. If I could do it over again, I'd never go this deep with gearing. The mileage on the highway is horrible, and the car runs out of breath faster on the top end. That's the only mod I regret.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenji Harris View Post
Yea I was thinking with the longtubes maybeeeeeeeee 225 if lucky but that's hopeful thinking. I'm bout to race my friends stock automatic 335i to see how it does, that should give a good idea to where it is
A stock 335i dynos in the 270-300whp range. You are going to get waxed even if he's stock. A JB4 tune will bring that car closer to 400whp so I wouldn't bother racing him if he's modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
You said the mods listed provide little to no gains?

Answer- Correct on a stock engine

bhp just another term for rwhp?

Answer- Yes
No. BHP is another term for crank/flywheel hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post
Oh yeah, your right in the ballpark then. I thought 275 was a little absurd lol.

Aren't the net ratings on these stated as flywheel horsepower though?
I always thought net=power at the wheels and gross=crank horsepower.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40th GT View Post
A stock 335i dynos in the 270-300whp range. You are going to get waxed even if he's stock. A JB4 tune will bring that car closer to 400whp so I wouldn't bother racing him if he's modified.

No. BHP is another term for crank/flywheel hp.

I always thought net=power at the wheels and gross=crank horsepower.
brake horsepower

image: http://cf.ydcdn.net/1.0.1.69/images/ahd5.jpg
noun
Abbr. bhp or b.hp. The actual or useful horsepower of an engine, usually determined from the force exerted on a friction brake or dynamometer connected to the drive shaft.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th edition Copyright © 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Read more at Brake horsepower dictionary definition | brake horsepower defined

IE......BHP is measured at the rear wheels, net HP is measured at the flywheel and has accessories connected, gross HP is also measured at the flywheel by no accessories are connected.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

PONY Member

This article says other wise. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...whp-explained/

The "brake" in bhp refers to a Prony Brake dyno and the way it works is explained here: https://me-mechanicalengineering.com...duction-types/

1. Brake Horse Power (bhp)

This is the power output of any engine measured at the engine's flywheel. (A flywheel is a disc with teeth on it. It's connected to the rear of the engine and its purpose is for the smooth transfer of power to the transmission from the engine.)

2. Wheel Horse Power

Unlike bhp, whp is the power output measured at the wheels. This is the information a dyno run provides and usually reads around 15 per cent less than the power measured at the engine (bhp) - this is because power is lost in the driveline (including clutch and transmission). Four-wheel drive cars lose between 20-25 percent of their quoted bhp figure because of the increased friction.

*The term brake horsepower (bhp) refers to a device called ‘Prony Brake’ (invented by Gaspard de Prony), which was used to measure engine power in the early 1900s. 2. You don't need to increase an engine's bhp to get an increase in a vehicle's whp. You can achieve higher whp by reducing the rotational mass in your drivetrain, such as the wheels, tyres, brakes, clutch, flywheel, etc.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
PONY Member

Also on engines like our Mod Motors with a serpentine belt, how would one run the water pump and alternator while testing "gross horsepower"? Would there have to be stand-alone provisions for cooling and charging?

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
BOSS Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40th GT View Post
This article says other wise. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...whp-explained/

The "brake" in bhp refers to a Prony Brake dyno and the way it works is explained here: https://me-mechanicalengineering.com...duction-types/

1. Brake Horse Power (bhp)

This is the power output of any engine measured at the engine's flywheel. (A flywheel is a disc with teeth on it. It's connected to the rear of the engine and its purpose is for the smooth transfer of power to the transmission from the engine.)

2. Wheel Horse Power

Unlike bhp, whp is the power output measured at the wheels. This is the information a dyno run provides and usually reads around 15 per cent less than the power measured at the engine (bhp) - this is because power is lost in the driveline (including clutch and transmission). Four-wheel drive cars lose between 20-25 percent of their quoted bhp figure because of the increased friction.

*The term brake horsepower (bhp) refers to a device called ‘Prony Brake’ (invented by Gaspard de Prony), which was used to measure engine power in the early 1900s. 2. You don't need to increase an engine's bhp to get an increase in a vehicle's whp. You can achieve higher whp by reducing the rotational mass in your drivetrain, such as the wheels, tyres, brakes, clutch, flywheel, etc.
You are right............I shouldn't try to do 6 things at once and chat!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page