Corvette guy defecting!! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lwarrior1016

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Corvette guy defecting!!

HELLO ALL,
Had to sell my 02-C5 last year cuz of family and kids and now looking to get back into good ole american muscle.I got my radar on a private owner craigslist car.Its a 1999 gt 5spd %100 stock 2 owners with 114 k miles.From the pictures car looks clean and he is asking $5500.What is the clutch life on these cars?and do you think thats a good price for a car with over 100k?Im looking for a second car just to play around with.Not gonna go crazy with mods,prob just intake and exhaust.
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the site! The price doesn't sound terrible, we picked up my sons 2000GT with about 130,000 for $3900 about two years ago. I would try to knock about a grand off but thats just me, best of luck.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017
GT Member

Garage
Clutch life varies greatly depending on driver and driving style. It could have 70k left in it or crap out tomorrow. Good news is, that engine has a lot more life in it if it was maintained halfway decent. Price isn't too far off, I would also try to get it down some but overall if the car is nice it's not too bad.
ONEZ ST and Urambo Tauro like this.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys, if i like the car i will to get him down a least 500.I have been in the market for some time now and its getting harder to find a 5spd that hasnt been beaten up or crazy modded.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Pretty average price, if the car is up to whatever your standards are then go for it. As mentioned, clutch depends on driving habits but even with moderate abuse (mostly regular driving with occasional fun) I'd say you can expect at least 80K, at least. Bought my car 10 years ago at 57K, replaced clutch at 82K due to thrashed throw out bearing and the disc itself was still probably around 40% at the time. If not for the bearing issue, I think that factory disc would made it to 110K (even with me driving).

These are great cars, very durable and relatively problem free if you find something well taken care of. You will be disappointed in the performance and handling vs your C5 though. Come back and let us know when you're ready to put some suspension and a blower on it

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Pretty average price, if the car is up to whatever your standards are then go for it. As mentioned, clutch depends on driving habits but even with moderate abuse (mostly regular driving with occasional fun) I'd say you can expect at least 80K, at least. Bought my car 10 years ago at 57K, replaced clutch at 82K due to thrashed throw out bearing and the disc itself was still probably around 40% at the time. If not for the bearing issue, I think that factory disc would made it to 110K (even with me driving).

These are great cars, very durable and relatively problem free if you find something well taken care of. You will be disappointed in the performance and handling vs your C5 though. Come back and let us know when you're ready to put some suspension and a blower on it
C5 was a great handler but as a owner of two vettes i can tell you that they are just not practical for everyday use and are kind of a waist as they just sit in the garage.Looking forward to getting a stang soon !!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorbet35 View Post
C5 was a great handler but as a owner of two vettes i can tell you that they are just not practical for everyday use and are kind of a waist as they just sit in the garage.Looking forward to getting a stang soon !!
Hey man that's all my cars do anymore. I use them to make sure the concrete slab in my garage doesn't blow away. The '01 hasn't left my driveway since December and I couldn't even tell you the last time my '67 went out for a stretch.

But then again, I've spent the last 4 and a half months climbing my way out of what I thought was my life but in reality looks more like a car wreck that nobody told me about. We'll save that for another time though, lol.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorbet35 View Post

I donít think you will be disappointed. Prior to owning my02 5 speed GT, I had owned both a C4 and C5. For the same reasons (started a family) I had to give up a play car (though I was without for about 10 years).I never tried to compare my stang to my old vettes. The cars are a lot of fun to drive and offer a lot for what they are. Welcome to the family (or soon to be).
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Hey man that's all my cars do anymore. I use them to make sure the concrete slab in my garage doesn't blow away. The '01 hasn't left my driveway since December and I couldn't even tell you the last time my '67 went out for a stretch.

But then again, I've spent the last 4 and a half months climbing my way out of what I thought was my life but in reality looks more like a car wreck that nobody told me about. We'll save that for another time though, lol.

SoCal, sorry to hear things are so rough on you right now buddy. I hope everything works out for the best and you catch some good times soon.
Rookie

Okay, this is the 2nd thread started asking for advice on buying a used Edge. Not 1 has come to a conclusion, grrr, it's like reading a mystery without an ending! Come on guy's did you buy the damn car's or not!

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by My1V8 View Post
Okay, this is the 2nd thread started asking for advice on buying a used Edge. Not 1 has come to a conclusion, grrr, it's like reading a mystery without an ending! Come on guy's did you buy the damn car's or not!

You aren't thinking about the thread I started a couple days ago are you? I ended up buying one. Right now hoping I don't regret it as it had issues same day start popping up...

Buying a used car is luck of the draw it seems these days as nobody is honest anymore...

Good luck in your hunt and hold out for the right one and don't be in a rush. I look for over a month and maybe should have waited longer.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Rookie

I actually bought my 99 GT about 3 weeks ago. So far so good, 1 owner car well cared for by looks of it. Sorry to hear ur having issues, hopefully just basic age related car maintenance items. Of course now the fun starts, where to start finding that extra power, I did the exhaust last week. Next on the list is new gears in the rear end. Good luck with yours, plenty of advice/help here and on a couple other large Mustang forums. Nice thing about buying these older Stang's, there isn't much people haven't tried or done to them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page