Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By lwarrior1016
  • 1 Post By JonR2006
  • 1 Post By SoCal2V

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

01 GT Death Sentenced

Well had my car in to the garage to have them do the timing for me only to find out that unfortunately the acceleration noises that would come and go were actually not timing and went back to my original thought of the lifters. Well that being said I will now start my search for a new engine! So can any of you fine folks tell me where to get a good price on a remanned engine or a brand spanking new 4.6? Not looking for used so please keep that in mind just a good price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tball1976 View Post
Well had my car in to the garage to have them do the timing for me only to find out that unfortunately the acceleration noises that would come and go were actually not timing and went back to my original thought of the lifters. Well that being said I will now start my search for a new engine! So can any of you fine folks tell me where to get a good price on a remanned engine or a brand spanking new 4.6? Not looking for used so please keep that in mind just a good price.
A couple things, first I'm not trying to sound harsh so please don't take it that way. Second, brand spanking new and good price don't typically go together.

Now, if you got lash adjuster noise (no lifters on these engines) why are wanting to replace the engine? You could change those for about $100 and just a couple hours of time.

40th GT and JonR2006 like this.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Because my mechanics a moron and apparently doesn't have a damn clue about mustangs! Myself I am a VW guy and still learning the mustang ropes. Oh and by good price on an engine I am looking for no more than 3k btw lol.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Because my mechanics a moron and apparently doesn't have a damn clue about mustangs! Myself I am a VW guy and still learning the mustang ropes. Oh and by good price on an engine I am looking for no more than 3k btw lol.

Sorry I dont have a line on a brand new engine. Good used low mile units can be had for $700 or so. If you are mechanically inclined in the slightest bit, you can change those lash adjusters. They are very easy and it only requires hand tools. Just have to get the cam covers off.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Jasper is the only one I know of to get a brand new remanned Engine. Again, I'm with Warrior on this one. New lash adjusters are $55 from Rockauto...take the cam covers off, remove timing cover, removes timing components, remove cam caps, remove cams (you are doing the timing components already...or should at least), take the followers off, remove lash adjusters and replace with new ones, reverse the above and you have your 'brand new' engine.

Seems ridiculous to me to replace an engine over lash adjusters...just my humble opinion.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Jasper is the only one I know of to get a brand new remanned Engine. Again, I'm with Warrior on this one. New lash adjusters are $55 from Rockauto...take the cam covers off, remove timing cover, removes timing components, remove cam caps, remove cams (you are doing the timing components already...or should at least), take the followers off, remove lash adjusters and replace with new ones, reverse the above and you have your 'brand new' engine.

Seems ridiculous to me to replace an engine over lash adjusters...just my humble opinion.

I dont think remand engine when I hear BRAND NEW. Im thinking off the assembly line from Ford.

Also, you know you can change lash adjusters without taking the cams out or touching any timing pieces right?

1998 GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post
I dont think remand engine when I hear BRAND NEW. Im thinking off the assembly line from Ford.

Also, you know you can change lash adjusters without taking the cams out or touching any timing pieces right?
YEah, but man is it a lot easier...and he probably needs timing components anyway...in this case it should all come off, get inspected and cleaned, and put back together. Still not hard to do...
lwarrior1016 likes this.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Since OP is entirely sure wtf is going on, is aware his mechanic is a moron, and furthermore is an admitted VW guy (nothin wrong with that, they're cool cars), my vote is take it to a second (competent) shop/mechanic - hopefully someone familiar with these engines, which shouldn't be too hard to find, for a second opinion. VERIFY that the above (very likely) diagnosis of lash adjuster noise is as close to correct as an internet diagnostic can get.
Beechkid likes this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well use to lifters so I didn't realize about the lash adjusters and when my mechanic told me lifters I was like cap that's that. Then I saw the post about lash adjusters and felt foolish for trusting my mechanic and not doing better home work. I already have all the stuff to do the timing chains except for gears and may as well order a set of lash adjusters and have them changed along with the timing.
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Well use to lifters so I didn't realize about the lash adjusters and when my mechanic told me lifters I was like cap that's that. Then I saw the post about lash adjusters and felt foolish for trusting my mechanic and not doing better home work. I already have all the stuff to do the timing chains except for gears and may as well order a set of lash adjusters and have them changed along with the timing.

Good deal. Also, there is really no need to do gears or even chains for that matter. The plastic pieces are what need to be changed. When you put it back together make sure you have the IRON chain tensioners. The plastic ones WILL fail or blow the seal out. Then make sure you have the tensioners on the correct side, driver is Left. If you put them on the wrong side they will make noise and run the oil in the head low until pressure comes up (ask me how I know that, lol).

1998 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page