2001 gt convert for $13500 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

2001 gt convert for $13500

There is a super mint 01 GT convert 5spd with only 26k miles on it for sale on craigslist.Car looks all stock with KN intake.Guy is asking $13500.Im new to mustangs, (being a past vette owner) and would like your guys opinion on the price.Im in the market and this car is perfect but really dont want to pay 13G's for a 16 year old car.
Thoughts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It's not getting any easier to find these cars with that kind of mileage in pristine condition, someone will pay the price.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

No.

Nice car, but no. For that price, go buy an 03/04 Mach 1 with twice the miles and otherwise in equally as nice condition. Or spend 60% of that on a solid 8.5/10 condition GT with still well under 100K on the clock, use a little of the money you saved to make it a 9.5/10 car and still have $$ leftover to do whatever you like with. Or a 99/01 Cobra in similar condition as the Mach. Or a Saleen (which are mostly just GT's with nice wheels and a body kit, but they do hold their value in certain circles).

It's been a while since I priced them, but for $14K you're also well into S197 GT territory.

But.... At the end of the day, it's gonna be your decision and ultimately your car. I can only give an opinion based on what I think would make ME happy if in your position; if I had it to do over again and had that money to spend then any of the above choices are cars I would lean toward vs a 99-04 GT. And that's in the context of I literally love my car, had it a little over 10 years now and am looking forward to the next 10 and I don't have the decision to do over. Get the car that's right for YOU. And ultimately a car like that's a pretty rare bird, may be worth your time to go check it out just for sh**s and giggles.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I am with Socal on this one. Way overpriced in my opinion. I would looking at Mach1s for that price or even a boosted GT. Good luck though and let us know if you go look at it.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I see B.Cooper's point, but not way on that high of a price unless you are buying it and not panning on driving it. Then maybe as you "could" one day resale for more as it will be even harder... However if you plan to drive it then PASS as you will lose money really fast as a normal mileage say 80-100K miles is worth like 7-8K right now...

I agree with SoCal and that is what I am currently considering. They are hard to find under 100K miles and clean though as I speak from experience looking.

If it were me I would at least make an offer and see what happens. 10K maybe is worth it.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017
PONY Member

It's only priced like that because of the mileage. If you buy it and drive it, you'll rack up mileage and you'll be upside down in the purchase quickly. If you buy it and don't drive it, it's cheaper to hang a poster on the wall. Just my $0.02.

Find a nice GT for $7K and buy mods. You'll love it more and have a faster car.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys for all your input.IM gonna pass on this one!!!!
The search continues......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017
PONY Member

Sounds like you already made your mind, but these cars are starting to gain a little value. At the end of the day I think it really depends on what you're going for.
While I dont ever expect these cars to pull in big money, if you are the kind of guy who is only going to put 1200 miles on it a year and keep it for 10-15 years, I think you will fetch a decent return on it. This style was popular and very fun. As the years pass and there are less and less, a market is going to be there for them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017
PONY Member

My GT is the nicest GT on craigslist right now, and I priced it at $7,900 (because you can always come down, but you can't go up) and I haven't had one single call on it. Not one.

So it depends a lot on area, but I'm thinking that the value is going down some on the New Edge cars right now. I've seen several average ones for $4,000 lately, and apparently very nice specimens like mine are well under $7,500, perhaps under $6,500.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
My GT is the nicest GT on craigslist right now, and I priced it at $7,900 (because you can always come down, but you can't go up) and I haven't had one single call on it. Not one.

So it depends a lot on area, but I'm thinking that the value is going down some on the New Edge cars right now. I've seen several average ones for $4,000 lately, and apparently very nice specimens like mine are well under $7,500, perhaps under $6,500.
Thats a good point,thats why im holding out.Im in NY and the prices for forth gen stangs are crazy but none of them are moving...lol
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Who cares what they're asking. Go chirp some tires and if you come across one you like, make an offer that YOU are willing to pay. If you want to be nice, tell the seller ahead of time that you think their asking price suggests prescription painkiller abuse but that you would still like to come see the car anyway.

Any that you're interested in, feel free to post a link to the car here in this thread and we'll give our two cents.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page