New exhaust thoughts - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Displacement
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Displacement's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
 
New exhaust thoughts

Currently I am running bbk O/R X to Flowmaster 40's.. As I have posted previously, I cannot stand them

Thus, I am in the market for new mufflers. At the moment, I am leaning heavily towards some cheap cherry bomb glass packs. I should add that I love the crackling noise that they are known for. Some high flow cats are also on the way.


If I could get her to sound like the first video, I would be very satisfied! Looking into 18" vs 12" cherry bombs on Summit... Would 18" kill the crackle?

Displacement is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Displacement's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
 
I like the second video, but it seems sooo much louder than the first. Maybe it is just a difference of cats?

Displacement is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Displacement's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
 
I guess the real question is, how do I get a quieter sound than my flow masters? And how do I get the crackle that glass packs offer? If it is possible to have both
Displacement is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017
BOSS Member
 
Beechkid's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,371
           
Allied resonators...available at any muffler shop nationwide................they come in a variety of diameters and lengths, so you can match up with what sounds good to your ear, they have a nice rumble on accel/decal, flow as good as any of the HP mufflers, excellent quality (lasted for 17 years on my wifes daily driver) and cost about $40 each plus install.................

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Beechkid is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017
PONY Member
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 739
 
So you're trying to make the car more quiet? Is that the goal? Or change the sound?

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
AlloyPony is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017
Apprentice
 
Runningmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: sarnia
Posts: 231
 
Garage
I have loudmouth slp and love em.they are not super loud untill u get into them they will.wake uo the neighbours then ?
Runningmann is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Displacement's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
So you're trying to make the car more quiet? Is that the goal? Or change the sound?
My problem with the flows is the dumb amount of drone I get because of the X-pipe. I can do loud if it has no rattle and drone. My top priority is the crackling backfire.
Displacement is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Displacement's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningmann View Post
I have loudmouth slp and love em.they are not super loud untill u get into them they will.wake uo the neighbours then ?
If I were to go with a straight through as smooth as lm's I would just go with Borla S-Types.. But I really want to snap crackle pop haha
Dataken likes this.
Displacement is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Displacement's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Allied resonators...available at any muffler shop nationwide................they come in a variety of diameters and lengths, so you can match up with what sounds good to your ear, they have a nice rumble on accel/decal, flow as good as any of the HP mufflers, excellent quality (lasted for 17 years on my wifes daily driver) and cost about $40 each plus install.................
My local exhaust shops are not trustworthy to say the least. They gouge me on price and do a half-ass job haha.. Will a quality shop let me hear the different sizes until I find the right one?
Displacement is offline  
Apprentice
 
Dataken's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arroyo Grande
Posts: 124
 
I just got the Borla S Type and could not be more happy. They are perfect so far. They have a nice growl sound. They can be quite if I really try but if I get on it the car comes to life and the sound is amazing. When you down shift or put a load on it they go pop pop pop. I took some video but I can tell you no sound clip does this exhaust justice. You have to hear it in person.


2002 Ford Mustang GT, 5 Speed, EiBach/Maximum Motorsports Sway Bars, Coil Over Springs, Caster Plates, Panhard Bar, Sub Frame Bar, Strut Tower Brace, KONI Rear Shocks. Pioneer Stereo, MGW Short Throw Shifter, RatFink Handle, interior led lights & red under dash. Chrome Pedals. Cobra Hood. Led reverse lights. Tint 5% limo in the back. 50% in the fronts. AirRaid CAI, Throttle Body Spacer Plate, MDK Coil Over Packs, Borla S Type Cat Back System, Bullitt Wheels, Hankook 285/265 Tires
Dataken is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
 
SoCal2V's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: see user name
Posts: 8,705
               
How attached are you to that X pipe?

In my experience, they are largely responsible for the drone. You can make it quieter or louder depending on choice of muffler or resonator, but it will still drone.

I have an SLP catback and have been through all 3 of their resonators over the years. The best one as far as reducing the drone from my X pipe was the Powerflo muffler. Bit quiet for me at the time though but still had the deceleration "pop" you're looking for. Little louder, basically perfect in terms of loudness was the LM2's. Made the car sound really pissed off, but Drone City in 5th gear at highway/freeway speeds.

Last year I made the change in midpipe to Mac Prochamber (still running the LM2's). Quieted things down a bit, which after 7 or so years of the last setup I was ready for, but the big thing was a huge reduction in drone. "Tone" is kinda somewhere in between an X and H pipe, lost some of the decel popping but still sounds like a beast at WOT without saying "hey look at me, I'm special and I want to race everybody" like the X pipe did.


2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
SoCal2V is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Displacement's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataken View Post
I just got the Borla S Type and could not be more happy. They are perfect so far. They have a nice growl sound. They can be quite if I really try but if I get on it the car comes to life and the sound is amazing. When you down shift or put a load on it they go pop pop pop. I took some video but I can tell you no sound clip does this exhaust justice. You have to hear it in person.
Can you take a video of the pops? I would like nothing more than to grab a pair of stingers man... the tone is perfect and so is the volume from what I have heard online. If you can show me crackling backfire on downshifts, I will buy their catback system tonight!
Displacement is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Displacement's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
How attached are you to that X pipe?

In my experience, they are largely responsible for the drone. You can make it quieter or louder depending on choice of muffler or resonator, but it will still drone.

I have an SLP catback and have been through all 3 of their resonators over the years. The best one as far as reducing the drone from my X pipe was the Powerflo muffler. Bit quiet for me at the time though but still had the deceleration "pop" you're looking for. Little louder, basically perfect in terms of loudness was the LM2's. Made the car sound really pissed off, but Drone City in 5th gear at highway/freeway speeds.

Last year I made the change in midpipe to Mac Prochamber (still running the LM2's). Quieted things down a bit, which after 7 or so years of the last setup I was ready for, but the big thing was a huge reduction in drone. "Tone" is kinda somewhere in between an X and H pipe, lost some of the decel popping but still sounds like a beast at WOT without saying "hey look at me, I'm special and I want to race everybody" like the X pipe did.
As far as the x pipe, with the amount of labor I put in to get that PIA lined up with my system.. I am not looking to replace it any time soon haha. I have never heard of powerflo's however. Yet, I have no problem whatsoever with the "Hey look at me, I'm special and I want to race everybody" sound!
Displacement is offline  
BOSS Member
 
Beechkid's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,371
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displacement View Post
My local exhaust shops are not trustworthy to say the least. They gouge me on price and do a half-ass job haha.. Will a quality shop let me hear the different sizes until I find the right one?


Yes..........they typically have these guys in stock...they will drop your mufflers, let you get in & fire up the car, they can hold different units up to the pipe and you can hear................

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Beechkid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1