Rear Tire Recommendation - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Rear Tire Recommendation

Where are you guys getting your tires from? I have been searching AM and LMR and they don't really offer anything over 285. I want to pick up some AMR wheels from AM in 18x9 & 18x10 sometime this summer and would like a nice wide back tire that fits a slightly lower car (1 1/2" drop).

I am thinking maybe: 265/40-18 or 275/35-18 fronts and 295/35-18, 305/30-18, or 315/30-18 rears.
What does everyone recommend on tire sizes and where are you getting a 305 or 315 rear tire? I have looked at discount tire and tire rack and they don't have much. Summit and Jegs have some, but it just seems limited. What is everyone running as far as size and brand? Weekend car maybe 1,000 miles a year.

Thanks everyone, I am excited to have new wheels finally. My last set were cobra replicas that were 18x9 and had 245/45-18 front and 285/35-18 rears and they looked nice, but nitto 555's defiantly run small because a 285 didn't really fill the wheel well. Currently my car is sitting on the stock starfish 17x8 wheels because one of the replicas cracked, so anything will be an improvement. The pictures below are from AM's website and are the wheels I am thinking about.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel 2.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	561537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	561545  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017
PONY Member

Try these sites

Onlinetires.com - Lowest Tire Prices on the Web. Period!
www.tires-easy.com
www.tirebuyer.com

I've had first hand experience from Tire Buyer and they were great. Fast shipping and all. And there are major vendors like Discount Tire that sell closeout items through ebay.

With that said 305+ width might be too wide for 10" wide wheels. 285/40/18 might be better since the 285/35 left a wheel gap.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
What kind of tire are you wanting? I would assume a good summer tire or even a DR? I'm sure Mickey has some tires that would fit. Toyo R888s come in your size I'm sure. Michelin PSSs probably do too...I would think a 285 good tire will hook and still look good.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I'm not really looking at DRs because I might drive it in the rain. Also I don't want to have to buy new tires for a while which is why I am probably overthinking this. I really just want a good summer tire that will hook well on the street.

What brands and sizes are you guys running. I need something that wont make the rear tires look so far in on the back like it does with the stock rims and tires. All of AM tire packages seem like they are 285/35r18 which seems to still have about 1" of gap between the outside of the fender and the tires.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017
PONY Member

I got mine from AM.

But, from now on I'm buying everything from discounttiredirect.com just like I do all my 4x4 tires. Best prices and customer service I've EVER dealt with.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
I got mine from AM.

But, from now on I'm buying everything from discounttiredirect.com just like I do all my 4x4 tires. Best prices and customer service I've EVER dealt with.
Thanks for the reply. What size tires and rims front and rear are you running? Do you happen to have any pictures of the 315's in the rear?? Did you buy 315's from AM? Do you like the AMR's?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey'sGT View Post
Thanks for the reply. What size tires and rims front and rear are you running? Do you happen to have any pictures of the 315's in the rear?? Did you buy 315's from AM? Do you like the AMR's?
For now I'm stock in the front, but when they wear out I'm going to a 275 in the front.

Pics of the rear? Maybe somewhere...I'll see what I can find. They fit perfectly. I love the size, but I'm not 100% happy with the particular tire I chose. They offer horrible traction unless it's HOT outside.

Yes, I got the 315s and all four wheels from AM. I got the wheels for $42 bucks each on a black friday sale. They weren't my favorite style, but for the price I couldn't pass them up.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Are you running 17 inch wheels? I don't think people are normally running 315's on 18's that's why I'm not sure what to get. What is everyone running on there 18 inch wheels in the front and back.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017
PONY Member

Most of my friends with 18s are running the 295s in the rear. Although I have one buddy who just ordered 325s for his I think. He's going drag radial. The street tires I see are mostly 295s though.

Gone but not forgotten:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Most of my friends with 18s are running the 295s in the rear. Although I have one buddy who just ordered 325s for his I think. He's going drag radial. The street tires I see are mostly 295s though.
Thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page