Mach or Cobra - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I'd personally get the Mach. I like the looks more, by far. The shaker gets me. Then I'd put the extra money towards goodies for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04Gt View Post
I'd personally get the Mach. I like the looks more, by far. The shaker gets me. Then I'd put the extra money towards goodies for it.
Yea the body kit gets me everytime, more than likely will go with that

Rookie

Garage
I was in your shoes last year, I wanted a 03/04 Cobra or Mach1, so I did my research to see which one will be the best for me. Make a long story short I wanted the Cobra but could not afford to buy it and got a 2003 Mach 1 for 10k, with 110k. It was worth it for so many reason, how it looks, sounds and its a head turner....etc. Once I am finish paying off this car I plan on buying a 03/04 Cobra next and make that my track car only by turning it into an OP BEAST. You have to ask yourself what are you going to use the car for and what are your future plans for the car as well. Yes both car are rare now and I see more 03/04 Cobras than I see Mach 1, but as far as bang for the buck the Cobra hands down got it. In the Cobra the engine has all harden internals and loves to make horsepower. Just with a tune it will go from 390hp (stock) to 450hp - 500hp and that is only a tune no internals swapped or bolt on added. Plus the stock block of the Cobra has easily withstood 600hp to 800hp easily. The Mach 1 has 305hp(stock) and with a simple engine tune all you are going to see is 30 or 40 more horse power. To see any real power you will have to put a supercharger on it but be mindful can't over do it because none of the internals are harden. The only thing that is harden in the Mach 1 is the crank and that is only on manuals, autos don't have harden crank. Do more research before you pull the trigger and then ask yourself what will make you happy. I may not have the fastest car but its a nice cruiser on warm summer night in city, driving down the avenue hearing your exhaust crackle and pop of the building sounds so nice. Please keep us in form in what you are deciding and what you decided and then you can start a thread on all the modes you are going to do.

Ford Mustang 2003 Mach1 Torch Red (D3)
8in black antenna / Exceedy Stage 2 Clutch 450
Ford Racing Billett FlyWheel / JLT CAI/JLT OIL CC/MGW SS
17/275-315 Nitto 555 / Offset Semi-Black Gloss Saleen Rims
Pioneer Touch Screen / J&L Amp /2 J&L 10" Subwoofers in a Box/ SLP Catback Exhaust/ BAMA Tuner

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg74 View Post
I was in your shoes last year, I wanted a 03/04 Cobra or Mach1, so I did my research to see which one will be the best for me. Make a long story short I wanted the Cobra but could not afford to buy it and got a 2003 Mach 1 for 10k, with 110k. It was worth it for so many reason, how it looks, sounds and its a head turner....etc. Once I am finish paying off this car I plan on buying a 03/04 Cobra next and make that my track car only by turning it into an OP BEAST. You have to ask yourself what are you going to use the car for and what are your future plans for the car as well. Yes both car are rare now and I see more 03/04 Cobras than I see Mach 1, but as far as bang for the buck the Cobra hands down got it. In the Cobra the engine has all harden internals and loves to make horsepower. Just with a tune it will go from 390hp (stock) to 450hp - 500hp and that is only a tune no internals swapped or bolt on added. Plus the stock block of the Cobra has easily withstood 600hp to 800hp easily. The Mach 1 has 305hp(stock) and with a simple engine tune all you are going to see is 30 or 40 more horse power. To see any real power you will have to put a supercharger on it but be mindful can't over do it because none of the internals are harden. The only thing that is harden in the Mach 1 is the crank and that is only on manuals, autos don't have harden crank. Do more research before you pull the trigger and then ask yourself what will make you happy. I may not have the fastest car but its a nice cruiser on warm summer night in city, driving down the avenue hearing your exhaust crackle and pop of the building sounds so nice. Please keep us in form in what you are deciding and what you decided and then you can start a thread on all the modes you are going to do.
Thank you for the insight,I do agree with everything you said but like you said what I'm looking for is not so much just power as much as it is reliability as well and I'm scared that the cobra will bring more maintenance on top of an already more expensive car. More than likely the decision will be a Mach but definitely will keep you guys updated lol
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Is this a second car or a daily driver? The asking price for the cobras are so high because mustang guys consider them "collectibles." If you had one and drove it everyday and tried to sell it with 200k miles on it, it wouldn't be as "collectible" at that point. The Mach is kind of the same story but not quite as expensive. Out the box the cobra will of course spank the Mach and will cost more. But if I were to pay $15k for a Mach it'd be a good while or (possibly never) for me to have the money to buy a blower. If you can afford the cobra I guess I'd go that route. The maintenance wouldn't be any different than if you put a supercharger on a Mach,not much different than a stock Mach either.
If you put too many miles on either you'll be upside down in both. Their "value" is based on rarity and what have you but no one will pay $10k for an 03 Mach 1 w 200k miles on it. It's a cool car but it's not 200k miles for ten g's cool.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Is this a second car or a daily driver? The asking price for the cobras are so high because mustang guys consider them "collectibles." If you had one and drove it everyday and tried to sell it with 200k miles on it, it wouldn't be as "collectible" at that point. The Mach is kind of the same story but not quite as expensive. Out the box the cobra will of course spank the Mach and will cost more. But if I were to pay $15k for a Mach it'd be a good while or (possibly never) for me to have the money to buy a blower. If you can afford the cobra I guess I'd go that route. The maintenance wouldn't be any different than if you put a supercharger on a Mach,not much different than a stock Mach either.
If you put too many miles on either you'll be upside down in both. Their "value" is based on rarity and what have you but no one will pay $10k for an 03 Mach 1 w 200k miles on it. It's a cool car but it's not 200k miles for ten g's cool.
It's a daily so I didn't plan on boosting the Mach and I wasn't too concerned about the value after I bought it because I didn't plan on selling it haha. But like I said earlier I'm leaning more towards the Mach, it's a little cheaper, still unique, and with some bolt ons, exhaust, and tune should be able to be around 310rwhp which is plenty for me lol
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenji Harris View Post
Quote:
It's a daily so I didn't plan on boosting the Mach and I wasn't too concerned about the value after I bought it because I didn't plan on selling it haha. But like I said earlier I'm leaning more towards the Mach, it's a little cheaper, still unique, and with some bolt ons, exhaust, and tune should be able to be around 310rwhp which is plenty for me lol
I hear ya on being cool and unique, but that's still a lot of money for a 14 year old daily driver. If you're in the $10k-$20k range why not a newer one. Here's a '12 with 88k mikes for $14,988. Probably faster than the Mach, probably more reliable, and probably easier to get financed if need be.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=174240249
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdegrees11 View Post
Heck if you're considering $15k for an old cobra might as well look at 2011+ GTs
Ha! Oops. I should've read ahead before posting. But yeah I agree. Unique is unique but the Mach isn't quite unique enough to where the non mustang ethusiast would give it a second notice. It'd be just another mustang to the masses probably.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Ha! Oops. I should've read ahead before posting. But yeah I agree. Unique is unique but the Mach isn't quite unique enough to where the non mustang ethusiast would give it a second notice. It'd be just another mustang to the masses probably.
Yea true true I have thought about a newer one but i couldn't stand to be one of the many people driving around in a 5.0
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenji Harris View Post
Yea true true I have thought about a newer one but i couldn't stand to be one of the many people driving around in a 5.0
It would be tough, but I'm sure I could manage it lol.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
It would be tough, but I'm sure I could manage it lol.
Exactly, as soon as you floor it 😂
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ashlander Send a message via MSN to Ashlander
I'd go with the Mach. Best styling of all the New Edge cars, I never liked the Cobra bumpers too much. The Machs just have a unique aura about them that the Cobras lack. Maybe it's because they were only a 2 year limited run.

Like said above, you can always put a blower on the Mach with the money saved, probably even still come out ahead. Dont even need to lose the shaker.

Present
2007 Mustang GT - 5-Speed, Airaid CAI, 4.10s
2001 Mustang GT "Mock 1" - 5-Speed, 03 Mach 1 Swap, 98 Cobra Intake Cam Swap, BBK CAI & Longtube Headers w/ H-Pipe, 4.10s 302 rwhp / 310 ft-lbs
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes

Looking For
1981-82 Mustang Cobra/GT T-Top

Past
1984 Mustang GT T-Top - Bare Chassis
1984 Mustang GT350 - 302 / 5-Speed
1984 Mustang LX - 302 / 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page