99 mustang mods for higher hp - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 98SnakeHorse
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Nickyflaz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 2
 
99 mustang mods for higher hp

Hello bit of a newbie here but here's my info. I have a 1999 mustang 4.6l SOHC, it's auto as well. I'm looking to try and get a bit more power into it. Down the road I'm thinking about having a supercharger installed, possibly a vortec. Any thoughts? Also another detail. Also another detail, The car has a jasper remanfucatured engine in it the car has 133000 miles on it, but the engine has 40k on it, so I figured with that kinda mileage on the engine it should be pretty strong. Any bolt on's or other mods that will help the power/ handling of the car would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nickyflaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017
Rookie
 
98SnakeHorse's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
Location: Southeast Iowa
Posts: 26
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyflaz View Post
Hello bit of a newbie here but here's my info. I have a 1999 mustang 4.6l SOHC, it's auto as well. I'm looking to try and get a bit more power into it. Down the road I'm thinking about having a supercharger installed, possibly a vortec. Any thoughts? Also another detail. Also another detail, The car has a jasper remanfucatured engine in it the car has 133000 miles on it, but the engine has 40k on it, so I figured with that kinda mileage on the engine it should be pretty strong. Any bolt on's or other mods that will help the power/ handling of the car would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Engine mods- Intake, longtubes. High flow midpipe and cat back, gears.

Suspension- kmember, tubular a-arms, Subframe connectors, upper and lower rear control arms, coilovers/ or lowering springs with a good shock/strut package. The list goes on

Also I don't know alot about the 4r70w but I bet a shift kit with a more aggressive tq converter will really wake it up.


Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

40th GT likes this.


98gt Built 2v Vortech Supercharged (Stuck in the 11's)
98SnakeHorse is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
90lxwhite's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,751
           
Start with the suspension and chassis first that way you have a good platform to add power to. I'd probably start with shocks and struts since they are ware items. If you're really thinking about a supercharger I wouldn't buy a cold air intake since you won't be able to re-use it with the vortech. Gears- maybe but the gain is modest, a thousandth or a hundredth knocked off of a 1/4 mile time.
90lxwhite is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017
PONY Member
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 739
 
If you are fairly certain that you're going to supercharge the car, my advice is do not buy bolt on mods for it now. You'll have to take them all off when you do the supercharger. That's what happened to one of my buddies and I ended up scoring all his bolt ons for dirt cheap.

300 crank horse - bolt on mods get you here. 400 crank horse - supercharger gets you here. 450+ crank horse - gets you to the salvage yard looking for another engine

Good luck and post up some pics

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
AlloyPony is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
 
JonR2006's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,990
             
Garage
If you wanting a centrifugal supercharger (vortech, paxton, procharger) then you can go ahead and get a plenum/tb combo that will help with the blower. Do an off road midpipe, get a stall converter if money allows (3600-4000 stall)....

The very first thing you should get is Tires. I can't stress this enough...Tires will make or break how well you use any power (stock or modified).

Do not get UDPs, they will be useless with the blower. Get a tuner, you will need it eventually.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
JonR2006 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
90lxwhite's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,751
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
If you wanting a centrifugal supercharger (vortech, paxton, procharger) then you can go ahead and get a plenum/tb combo that will help with the blower. Do an off road midpipe, get a stall converter if money allows (3600-4000 stall)....

The very first thing you should get is Tires. I can't stress this enough...Tires will make or break how well you use any power (stock or modified).

Do not get UDPs, they will be useless with the blower. Get a tuner, you will need it eventually.
Does the factory "tune" regulate how high it'll let you rev it while standing on the brake? Like say it has a 3k rpm stall, would the tune let it rev to 3k?
90lxwhite is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Nickyflaz's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 2
 
Ok so do u think that this engine can handle upwards of 350-400 stock? Also the engine installer said it wasn't the engine put in in 99 for the car but a updated version of the 4.6l, was the 99 model the PI version that I have been hearing about or does the installer not know what he means. Also I've been looking at coil overs and they range from 600-2k any good brands anyone has used and had a great experience with/ minimal to no problems. I think I might just wait on engine upgrades and get the suspension and all my cosmetic work done on the car wheels, coil overs, etc and then maybe a year or two save up for a vortech, or pro charger. I've heard that turbos are a offer pain in the butt to install correctly. So I thought I would head down the supercharger route. Or would u guys just recommend saving my money and getting a 04 terminator? For like 15-20k?
Nickyflaz is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017
PONY Member
 
40th GT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 517
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Does the factory "tune" regulate how high it'll let you rev it while standing on the brake? Like say it has a 3k rpm stall, would the tune let it rev to 3k?
I'm not sure if that's the case on the new Mustangs, but on 2010 and older cars, that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyflaz View Post
Ok so do u think that this engine can handle upwards of 350-400 stock? Also the engine installer said it wasn't the engine put in in 99 for the car but a updated version of the 4.6l, was the 99 model the PI version that I have been hearing about or does the installer not know what he means. Also I've been looking at coil overs and they range from 600-2k any good brands anyone has used and had a great experience with/ minimal to no problems. I think I might just wait on engine upgrades and get the suspension and all my cosmetic work done on the car wheels, coil overs, etc and then maybe a year or two save up for a vortech, or pro charger. I've heard that turbos are a offer pain in the butt to install correctly. So I thought I would head down the supercharger route. Or would u guys just recommend saving my money and getting a 04 terminator? For like 15-20k?
With a good tune the engine should be able to take 400whp. You can do an E85 conversion for added wiggle room with ignition timing and increased inlet air temps from the blower.
I'm not sure what you mean by updated version but if the Jasper engine was an exact replacement engine for a 99 GT, it should be the PI engine. You can verify this by looking at the intake ports on the cylinder head. PI ports are rectangular and NPI are circular.

As for coilovers, Ground Control coilover sleeves can be had for less than $500, and then you'll need to get adjustable shocks of your choice, which is another $600-700. Then there is the BC Racing kit which comes with everything you need for $1050.

If switching to a Terminator is an option, I would go that route instead. Much better performance potential from those cars if you're into modding/racing. And they will hold value much better than a GT.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
40th GT is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
 
JonR2006's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,990
             
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Does the factory "tune" regulate how high it'll let you rev it while standing on the brake? Like say it has a 3k rpm stall, would the tune let it rev to 3k?
No foot breaking it will let you know how high you can rev before the car starts moving forward.

I would tune it for better shift point though and when the converter locks up.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
JonR2006 is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
90lxwhite's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,751
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post

I would tune it for better shift point though and when the converter locks up.
Yeah would too. With the wife's expedition and in my nissan you it won't let you rev up high enough to get the tires moving while standing on the brakes. It'll rev up until x rpm (2k or so I think) and just bog down.
90lxwhite is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
90lxwhite's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,751
           
How about a new valve body? Would a "tune" and an aftermarket valvebody be redundant? Like would a new VB make an improvement that the tune couldn't?
With the aod transmissions a new VB is a good first mod for an auto car. But I'm not sure if an aftermarket one is necessary these days since shift points and stuff can be handled via tune. If I was to get one though I think I'd go with this guys'. http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silver...ODE_4R70W.html
90lxwhite is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
 
SoCal2V's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: see user name
Posts: 8,705
               
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
How about a new valve body? Would a "tune" and an aftermarket valvebody be redundant? Like would a new VB make an improvement that the tune couldn't?
With the aod transmissions a new VB is a good first mod for an auto car. But I'm not sure if an aftermarket one is necessary these days since shift points and stuff can be handled via tune. If I was to get one though I think I'd go with this guys'. VB AODE 4R70W
For 4R70W, what you want is to J-Mod the valvebody. In conjuction with changing line pressures and shift points via tuning it's supposed to be a beast. You can either Google the diy instructions or otherwise should be able to find somebody somewhere on the internet selling them.


2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
SoCal2V is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1