2004 GT Convertible - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CharliesGT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question 2004 GT Convertible

Hello,

I'm new here and could use some info regarding the purchase of the title mustang. I'm thinking of buying this horse, but it has 92,000 on the clock. It has a 5 spd and appears to be tight in all respects. Are there any issues I should be aware of regarding this model and year? 4.6 L 2-valve 5-spd rag-top with 92,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for your help

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome! If that 4.6L has had reasonable care, 92,000 miles is not a lot. They are tried & true engines. While no slouch by any means, just don`t expect tons of power from them in their stock form. My advice is, if its a nice clean car, & the price is right, buy it & enjoy.

Be sure to post pics if you get it.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. My wife and I used to cruise around on our Harley Road Glide but health issues are taking a toll on me. Both of us enjoy the open air and decided that a convertible would be a good option.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

As mentioned, these are overall very durable cars and assuming good care for those first 92K miles you can expect it to be problem free for many more.

Probably the only inherint or not uncommon issue these engines are prone to is timing chain guide wear or tensioner failure. The onset of symptoms is detectable by a rattling sound that lasts 1-2 seconds on a cold startup. These engines are "interference" style engines, meaning that if those components fail then pistons will make contact with valves and destroy the engine. In my experience though - and I've "known" more than a few of these 4.6's over the years via family member owned cars, good maintenance (regular oil changes being the cornerstone of that) and not overly abused it will never be an issue. Have personally seen these engines at 250K+ running smooth as butter and no timing chain related issues.

Don't know if you plan on modifying the car or keep it stock, but regardless of that one thing I recommend you look into is a short throw shifter even if that will be the only aftermarket part you ever install. There are many out there but Steeda or MGW would be my recommendations on that.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the info about the timing chain tensioner. I've owned several mustangs. My first was a 1966 coupe I purchased from a co-worker back in 1968.
It was a 2 barrel 289 w/3spd on the floor. IT also had something I have not seen in another mustang. It had a bucket style bench seat. It also had the worse brakes ever installed in a mustang. I had a 1990 Fox Body Gt that I liked a lot but had to sell it due to difficult times but replaced it with an 1992 LX coupe 4-cyl. Good fuel milage is all that can be said there. Then, while my wife was working at Courtesy Ford, a chance to buy a new/used 1996 black GT with manual transmission came up. It was faster and tighter than my 1990 and I loved it, but it had to leave when we had another late life child. Kids,...
SoCal2V likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
My guides and tensioners were shot at 150k...but when I first bought my car at 137k it had no noise. I would imagine anywhere between 125k-150k is where they tend to fail. Keep the oil changes regular.

The only other issues you may have are going to be interior wear, bushings needing replacement, and just normal used car stuff.

the 2004 has a lot of updates Ford made to the platform so you should be good there.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Brakes on your '66 couldn't have been any worse than the ones on my '67... Non power assist drums at all 4 corners. It will stop, but you have to really want it to lol. The bench seat was a very rare option, hard to come by those ones. Neighbor across the street when I was a kid had a '66 with that seat too, other than pictures in magazines or on the internet I think that's the only one I ever saw as well.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I had a 94 explorer for a couple of years. Way under powered. And then also two 97 F150's with 4.6L's. Good trucks but need a little more low end grunt for towing my boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page