2003 Mustang GT electrical problem - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy 2003 Mustang GT electrical problem

Having a bad issue where my car will go from completely dead to fully charged and ready to go. First started having this problem while i was at a gas station while filling up. Finished putting gas in the car, sat inside, turned the key and it clicked and was completely dead. Had a friend come and jump me and we figured it was a bad alternator or dead battery, but both are in good condition (battery is new). So i continued driving the car until a few days ago it died yet again and I let it sit for 2 days as I have been busy with work and school. My brother decided to try and start it while i was at work, went outside where the car was sitting for 2 days completely dead, and it started right back up. He said he sat down in the car and there were no lights indicating it was obviously still dead, but once he got out of the car after popping the hood, all the lights came back on and he started it up. I'm saying its possibly a short in the system somewhere? Not sure but would like any help i can get, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I recommend you start by cleaning the battery terminals/cable ends. Look critically at the cable clamps because I've had more than one OE clamp crack resulting in a poor or inconsistent connection (if cracked, replace). Also check the opposite ends of the cables to be sure they are securely fastened and with good contact. There are some other flat grounding straps in the engine compartment as well...check that they are secure with good contact as you see them.

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1 on above. However my vote is not a short but a weak connection somewhere in the electrical path.

Here's some more detailed information on how to perform advanced trouble shooting on the charging system.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...-drop-test.56/

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I will definitely try this, thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page