flywheel help!!!!!!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

flywheel help!!!!!!!!

Hello all!!!!!! Very new to this site and please help if im posting wrong.

I have a 2001 GT automatic. Just before thanksgiving, it was flipped and totaled. So i decided i would take the good engine out of it an swap into my 2000 gt 5 speed ( which i bought with a rod knocking ).
I went to swap over my flywheel and here is where my problems started. I pulled the flex plate off of the 2001 model ( 6 bolt crank ) and that's when i realized the 2000 model has an 8 bolt crank. So i have been to every parts house known to knoxville, and can not find a flywheel that is 6 bolt and will work with my clutch kit ( which is off of the 2000 GT ). I'm sure 1 billion people or more have put a 6 bolt crank into a pre-2001 car. I need help figuring out which flywheel to purchase and which clutch to purchase or if i can use my original ( 2000 GT ) clutch. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member

As you've already established, you need a six bolt SOHC flywheel for the later "Romeo" engine (the 2000 had a Windsor). You'll also need the pilot bearing for the end of the crankshaft since the motor was originally mated to an automatic. I can't conceive a reason why your 2000 clutch wouldn't work (someone will correct me if I'm wrong)... but if you are going with a new flywheel, at least consider a new clutch disc. As for where to find a flywheel, you might find one at a local wrecking yard but you would want to get that resurfaced...I just looked at Rock Auto and they have some listed that are inexpensive (~$80) if primarily a street driver...or you can go for a steel flywheel for ~$325 from LMR, CJP, AM, or Rock Auto if you are planning on adding HP later. (Part of the issue with your local parts houses is I think the input shafts on the 2000 and 2001 models have different spline counts---not an issue since you are using the 2000 clutch and 2000 transmission, but that may be causing a mismatch in what is now a largely computerized parts catalog world).

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Try car-part.com to search local salvage yards in your area.

FWIIW, I do have a 8 bolt flywheel 10.5" clutch that was left over from my Windsor to Romeo swap. Which I believe is exactly the part you are looking for. PM if interested.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Uh, wm...believe he is doing the same swap and needs a six bolt.

Did you do a thread on the W to R swap? Are there other things needed?

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.

Last edited by stormsedge; 01-01-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page