Ford Racing Speed Dial - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ford Racing Speed Dial

I have a 97 GT Manual with T45 Transmission that has been swapped to 2003 GT PI Engine and Trans TR3650 (also manual). I am having speedo and odometer issues due to the VSS needing to be converted to OSS. I can't find the extended speedcal anywhere because no one sells it. So I bought a FRPP instead. Everything is installed correctly but I can't get the right calculations. Any help? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

It might help if you posted what is the actual speed of the car verses what is being shown on the cluster. Also help if you posted the current switch DIP settings.

By using all of the above numbers it may be possible to compute what the correct DIP setting should be.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey, the speedo doesn't work at all. I have tried "000" and that keeps the speedo at 50... but that is just verification that it's installed correctly. I have tried "100" nothing happens. I have tried all the way up to "999". I guess what I am asking is what would I need to calculate to get the right settings? I already tried calculating by gears and by tire size. Surely someone must have done this before?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to saleenmustang27
Quote:
Originally Posted by classickworld View Post
Hey, the speedo doesn't work at all. I have tried "000" and that keeps the speedo at 50... but that is just verification that it's installed correctly. I have tried "100" nothing happens. I have tried all the way up to "999". I guess what I am asking is what would I need to calculate to get the right settings? I already tried calculating by gears and by tire size. Surely someone must have done this before?
This is what you do. You need 2 numbers to divide to input it into the speed cal.

1. Reset your trip meter. Figure out the actual miles driven, you can use the freeway mile markers or gps to get this number. Lets say you drive 5 actual miles as an example.

2. Record the number of miles your trip meter registered after going the 5 actual miles. Lets say for example, your trip meter read 7 miles (assuming you went with a numerically higher gear ie 3.73 or 4.10, in any case your trip meter will read higher than your actual miles driven.)

3. Divide the two numbers 5/7=0.714.

4. Therefore, set the speed cal to 071.

The speed cal dial is set as a ratio, so, your correction factor will always be below 100 when going from a numerically lower gear to a higher one.

Note: When you calculate it this way, you don't need to take tire size into account. It is already accounted for. Also, when you make your calculations, just round your answer off, rounding will make a negligible difference.

Hope this helps.

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Got the Ford racing speed dial unit working. I like that it's installed engine side, so it's easy access if I ever need to adjust it due to tire size.

3.55 gears * 809.93 * 12 = 34,503.018 = 023

is what worked for me. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page