2003 gt convert exhaust - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
2003 gt convert exhaust

help

Looking for a catback for my stock 2003 GT Convert.

Flows I heard have drone.
SLP everybody has.
Mac's not sure.
Magnaflows Magnapack ?

Can I get some opinions, I would hate to spend 600$ and have my stock nice ride sound like crap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018
PONY Member
V6 Member

Garage
I just welded in mufflers (pypes m80) and it sounds awesome.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018
Apprentice

Garage
Look on YouTube to get an idea. It comes down to preference. My set up is a magnaflow x pipe with SLP high flow cats with flowmaster original 40 series mufflers, it really sound unique on my Mach. If u want something not many people have look up bassani or stainless steel works both sound amazing

2004 DSG Mach 1: K&N FIPK, X-Pipe with SLP High-Flow cats, Flowmaster Super 40s, MM C/C plates, 4.10 gears (auto), PHP Intake spacer, Steeda Tune

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
looked at PYPES, now PYPES tells me I have to alter a brace on my convertible.

So looking at Mac Boom Tubes...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member

My OEM mufflers were beginning to rust out and seep at the seams. It ends up in the ear of the beholder, but had I to do it again AND had one of my tailpipes NOT been crushed and jacked by the PO, I would have just gone to a local muffler shop, eyeballed their appropriate selection and had them weld something in. Less hassle, less money and negligible performance delta, additionally the factory pipes were of sturdier stuff than what I replaced them with. ((I now have SLP Loudmouth II cat backs that are good enough, but drone right around 2000rpm and are loud enough inside the car to cause me to lift a little when I see an LEO)).

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I am starting to think ALL catbacks drone. everybody has a favorite

I do not want to cut off my exhaust to achieve this...
Urambo Tauro and stormsedge like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

They all produce some drone, at some combination of engine and vehicle speed + engine load. This is also dependent upon which midpipe you have in front of it.

What is this "everybody has SLP" stuff? I been on this and another forum since like 2010 or '11 and as somebody who does in fact have an SLP catback on his car I feel like Kunta Kinte at a Waylon Jennings concert.... Lol, which is to say "all alone amongst thousands of others". Could also be used to describe one's sense of being uncomfortable, but that's a different story for a different time.
stormsedge and Bronco2fan like this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Did not mean it that way, just alot of people have SLP.
If you had to change,what would you put on SOCal 2V?
a stock car with stock cats?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

When I had the stock midpipe, it sounded absolutely awesome with LM1 catback. Eventually though, you get bored and want more power - or at least for the engine to breathe better above 4000 rpm so you start toying with the idea of a different midpipe. That's when the real adventure begins.

FWIW, I feel like everybody has Flowmaster. So I can definitely appreciate the sentiment and desire to find some thing different.
dewkat likes this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Apprentice

Garage
I'm with you. Everyone does have flowmasters (maybe not the same muffler but the same manufacture). That's what I like so that what I got. I don't like alot of rasp but with that being said as to the mid pipe issue an X will add rasp. So my main reason to go with the original 40 mufflers was to cut the rasp and still have a nice growl. My point is that with so much stuff out on the market you can make you car sound however you want. It just depends on how far u want to go and how much u want to spend. Just think carefully on how you want your stang to sound. Do research. In the end there is no wrong answer just what you invisioned.

2004 DSG Mach 1: K&N FIPK, X-Pipe with SLP High-Flow cats, Flowmaster Super 40s, MM C/C plates, 4.10 gears (auto), PHP Intake spacer, Steeda Tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

In addition to what Bluestreak said in the above post, just accept the fact that you will make several changes to your exhaust if you keep your car long enough.

I've had my car for going on 11 years now. I'm on my 2nd aftermarket midpipe, 3rd set of mufflers/resonators, and one of these days I'm determined to start messing with headers. Which means that it won't just be headers, because doing that will change the entire dynamic and I'll have to mess around with mufflers again. And even in lieu of making changes that lead to other changes, sometimes you just get bored.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

Rookie
4.6L Member

Garage
I personally love how my SLP Loudmouths sound. I wouldn't trade or change them for anything. Sound great when I get on it lol.
PONY Member

Every single New Edge car in my area has a X-pipe and SLP mufflers. I'm sick of it. Very raspy sound. Not muscular in my opinion. That's why I did the H-pipe and Flows on my GT. Sounded GREAT.

However, this time around I've tried something different. I put an offroad H-pipe on my Mach 1, but left the factory cat back in place. This way there isn't any drone, I saved a ton of money, and it still sounds amazing. Check it out.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Really?
Just a H pipe with stock mufflers
PONY Member

Yep, stock manifolds, stock cat back. The only thing I did is take the catted stock mid pipe out and replace it with a catless midpipe.

Drove the car today, sounds A W E S O M E and there is ZERO drone. I will leave the car as-is now. No sense in spending any more time or money.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page