Mustang Newbie Need Advice - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Urambo Tauro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Mustang Newbie Need Advice

Hello everyone,

I'm a 20 year old Mustang fanatic in southern Mexico. I've only ever driven one Mustang, my girlfriend's previous 95 3.8L V6, but after driving it around a few times I fell in love. I recently got a new job that pays well enough for me to start looking into buying myself a 96 - 04 Mustang. It'll be a couple of months before I can actually begin looking into buying, but I want to be as informed as possible before diving into this culture.

Anyway, the reason for this topic. Although I pretty much know my way around a 3.8L v6 SN95, I know absolutely nothing about the 4.6 engine. What would be some things to look out for when looking at buying one? What common issues are there for these engines? How reliable is the 4.6 v8? How much worse is the gas millage compared to the 3.8?

Any advice would be tremendously appreciated, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018
PONY Member

Are you looking into getting a 2v or 4v? As long as maintenance was done regularly, mod motors are pretty reliable and last. Assuming someone didn't beat on it red light to red light. Not sure on the gas mileage, but it shouldn't be too bad.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mainly looking for a 2v. Not too worried about getting crazy high performance since I'll be using it as a daily driver. Just something I can have fun driving.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to saleenmustang27
Welcome to the club! If your looking for a 2v, keep in mind the years range from 96-04. 96-97 were rated at 215 horespower and the 98's were 225 hp. 99-04 got the PI heads, cams, and lower intake which yielded 260 hp. I would stick to the later years, 02-04. Reason being is that there were slight changes to the water pump pulley and the early engines were made in the windsor plant so it makes modifying and getting the right parts a little tricky if you don't know whats what. Also, most aftermarket parts for the 2v revolve around the pi engines anyway. As far as reliablility goes, like stang bang said, the engine should last for a while. I have a 98 GT with 250,000 original miles with the original engine and transmission; I don't baby it either, but I do maintain it. If you get a 99-04, chances are it will have 3.27 gears which is pretty good on gas. My 98 had 2.73 gears when I first got it, needless to say, it was a pig. But I did get awesome freeway gas mileage.

1998 GT- 5 speed. Crystal White. C&L CAI, 80mm MAF, TrickFlow 75mm throttle body, TrickFlow Upper intake plenum, Underdrive pullies, BBK catted X-pipe, 4.10 gears, limited slip diff with carbon fiber discs, moser 31 spline axles. MM FLSFCs, Screaming demon coil packs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, SR lowering springs, 95 cobra R rims, black, machined lip 18X9's in front, 18X10's in rear, Bullitt style pedals, SVE race seats.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018
GT Member

Be wary of early 4.6s that had the intake manifold with the plastic thermostat housing/crossover (I think it affected up through 2001 model years). A lot of them have sprung leaks by now and been replaced with the updated aluminum crossover intake, but you might still run into an old one. If so, you're looking at replacing the entire manifold.
stormsedge likes this.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018
Rookie

Garage
I would say if your looking for more power from the beginning and to not do a lot of the work yourself get a 99-04 because you won't be looking at switching out PI heads,cams and the manifold, unless you go aftermarket anyway. If you don't care and get the sn95s be ready to do some modding because they're fun for a little while and then you start wanting more power because the honda right next to you is beating you to the next light and bolt ons won't help you go from 215 to 300. So like the other guy said just watch what years your looking at and weigh the costs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiFFYxJiFFYx44 View Post
I would say if your looking for more power from the beginning and to not do a lot of the work yourself get a 99-04 because you won't be looking at switching out PI heads,cams and the manifold, unless you go aftermarket anyway. If you don't care and get the sn95s be ready to do some modding because they're fun for a little while and then you start wanting more power because the honda right next to you is beating you to the next light and bolt ons won't help you go from 215 to 300. So like the other guy said just watch what years your looking at and weigh the costs.
I was fixing to say the same. If you want a 4.6 get the newest one that you can afford. If at all possible skip past the 96-98's. They're slow out of the box and there isn't a whole of aftermarket support. The common practice with those is to upgrade the top end with the '99-04 parts, "PI Swap" they call it. But even then a modern sedan will give it a run for it's money. Last summer there was a guy at the 1/8 mile track with a PI swapped '97. It was stripped down to bare bones interior and he was running mid to high 9 second 1/8 at around 70 some odd mph.
Here he is in the red car. I'm in the blue one that screwed the start.
For what it's worth you can make a 302 5.0 faster for cheaper. I finish the 1/8 around 80 mph with full interior and cold a/c. Not that 80 mph is fast, but it's better than 70 and no interior.
Magnum PI Swap
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jp3S-nALIQ
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018
Banned

Cracked Intake Manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page