Mattgil's Build Thread - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: What mods should I do next (see post for parts list)
Interior refresh 1 100.00%
Exhaust and performance 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Mattgil's Build Thread

So I am relatively new to Mustangs, just got my 01 GT in June of 2017 and spent the rest of the summer just driving it and fixing some small things that needed attention. It came with a K&N intake with about the dirtiest filter I have ever seen, Flowmaster exhaust that had a rusted out tip, and some old school plug and play superchip tune. I was running very well with only 65,000 when I got it so I went ahead and got a new K&N filter and washed the other one as a backup, got a brand new Flowmaster American Thunder stainless cat back so it won't rust out again. It also needed breaks so I got the Powerstop kit with the drilled rotors and pads and just did some other general maintenance like flushing and changing everything etc.

Now that I am stuck in the winter in CT all I have been able to do it stare at it and come up with how I want to build him up, yes him we are calling him Mr. Ed (inside joke). Yesterday I ordered the first round of parts which include wheels / tires, suspension, rear end and tuner. See below for parts list. I will be doing probably 1 or 2 track days a year so I want to to be comfortable with that, but 90% of the time I will just be going on cruises with our group.

Step 1
  • Ford Performance Lowering C-Springs (79-04 All, Excluding 99-04 Cobra)
  • SR Performance Polyurethane Spring Isolators - Rear (79-04 All, Excluding 99-04 Cobra)
  • SR Performance Polyurethane Spring Isolators - Front (79-04 All)
  • Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner w/ 2 Custom Tunes (99-04 GT, Bullitt)
  • Ford Performance Traction - LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs - 8.8 in.
  • Motive Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit - 8.8 in.
  • Motive Performance Plus Ring Gear and Pinion Kit - 3.90 Gears (99-04 GT)
  • Staggered 1995 Cobra R Style Black Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 17x9/10.5 (99-04 All)
  • BBK Rear Upper & Lower Control Arm Kit (99-04 All, Excluding Cobra)
  • Steeda X2 Ball Joint Kit (94-04 All)

We should have this installed within the next few weeks, just in time to break it out in the spring! Let me know you thoughts on it and what I have in mind for it. Below is 2 more steps in the build I had ideas for, leave a vote and let me know what I should do next or leave a comment and let me know what you would do instead.

Step 2 - Interior refresh
  • Alterum Rear Seat Delete - Black (94-04 Coupe)
  • ACC 10142160 Cutpile; Molded Carpet; Complete
  • Corbeau Trailcat Diamond Pattern Seat w/ Black Stitching - Black Vinyl - Pair (79-18 All)
  • Corbeau Seat Bracket Set (99-04 All)
  • FR500 STYLE STEERING WHEEL - DARK CHARCOAL GRAY

Step 3 - Exhaust and performance
  • Russell Stainless Steel Braided Brake Line Kit - Front & Rear (99-04 GT, V6 w/ Traction Control)
  • 1996-04 MUSTANG SVE 75MM THROTTLE BODY & PLENUM KIT SATIN
  • 96-04 MUSTANG TUBULAR CHROME MOLY K MEMBER SPRING PERCHES
  • BBK 1-5/8 in. Ceramic Long Tube Headers (96-04 GT w/ Manual Transmission)
  • Kooks Off-road X-Pipe - 2.5 in. (99-04 4.6L w/ Long Tube Headers)
  • SR Performance Underdrive Pulleys - Black (Late 01-04 GT)
  • SR Performance O2 Sensor Extension Kit - Pair (86-10 All)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-28 15.07.14.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	964.4 KB
ID:	590457   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-28 15.07.34.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	920.3 KB
ID:	590465   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-28 15.09.54.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	824.7 KB
ID:	590473   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-06 22.14.21.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	590481   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-09 14.16.39.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	590489  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Nice car. I always loved Yellow New Edges...I am a Packers fan so I'm slightly biased to that color.

If you goal is some track days here and there and to mainly cruise around I would opt for Option 1 BUT ad stainless brake lines to it and much better tires. The Sumitomos are not good for anything performance oriented.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
Nice car. I always loved Yellow New Edges...I am a Packers fan so I'm slightly biased to that color.

If you goal is some track days here and there and to mainly cruise around I would opt for Option 1 BUT ad stainless brake lines to it and much better tires. The Sumitomos are not good for anything performance oriented.
Thanks man, I actually didn't care for the yellow when I first got it but after a good detail and buff it has grown on me.

Yeah I was thinking of tires as well, I also heard back tires that wide aren't great on track and push too much. I was thinking of getting another set of more track oriented wheels and tires and go with a square stance when the time comes. I won't have time to do any track events until late summer or fall. I've seen some good reviews of the Nitto tires maybe the NT05 would be good for light track days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page