Aftermarket 2 or 3 core radiator? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lwarrior1016

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Aftermarket 2 or 3 core radiator?

What's up y'all. I'm looking to replace my factory radiator on my 97 GT. My radiator isn't bad, I just want a new and better one for my build that's in process now. It's a daily driver, so I like to keep her cool, because it gets muggy, and nasty hot here in KY. If any one has an aftermarket radiator, please comment. I'm looking for durability, reliability, fitment. Could you tell a drop in average temperature readings? 2 core would be nice, but is it worth the $ to go ahead and buy the 3 core? Any info would be greatly appreciated, and thank you very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
The factory radiator and fan setup is sufficient for almost anyone. Unless you are tracking this car for road racing you won't see much differencen in temperature readings. I personally have the SVE 3 core aluminum radiator and the fitment was atrocious. I recommend a factory radiator or an 03-04 terminator radiator (it is aluminum) and is better than the GT/early cobra radiators. What does help is a 180 thermostat and having your fan settings adjusted via a tune to have them come on earlier.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018
GT Member

Garage
Ive got a mishimoto radiator in my car with a 180 degree thermostat. I can watch the temp get up to 180, the fan comes on and then it drops me down to about 165 and stays there. Even in stop and go traffic in louisiana and a 3600 stall converter. I will stand by this radiator.
JonR2006 likes this.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks for the heads up. I should be done with everything by early June, but I've been working long hours and it's hard to get everything done when you want too. I will be taking the car to Blankenship's tuning in western KY, so I will be definitely have them set the parameters on the cooling system. An all aluminum piece sounds nice, so I might check them out. You guys hit it on the head with which ones I was looking at. Much appreciated on the info.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Unless you plan on driving your car across Saudi Arabia the stock one should be more than fine. In 11 years of having this car, driving around in 100+ temps (which is more months than not where I live) I've yet to see a stock radiator on any vehicle I've ever owned not be sufficient.

Put in a 180 stat, have your tuner change the fan settings and whatever needs to be changed to accomodate the stat (because otherwise your pcm will think it needs to maintain a rich fuel mixture) and call it good.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018
Banned

Spend the money and get the 3 core.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Normal running temps should not be affected by whether a 2 or 3 core radiator is used, that's controlled by the thermostat. What the 3 core gives you is some additional cooling capacity reserve in extreme conditions. If the cost and installation aren't too much more burdensome, I'd just go for the 3 core and additional piece of mind.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Aftermgarket 2 or 3 core radiator?

Good info here, thanks. I've always been anal about things working properly. I think the service did it to me, and all the terms and regs. Anyways, last year on one of our hottest days I checked the coolant overflow with a thermocouple, and recorded a temp of 175, never any higher. I was running my factory temp thermostat of 190 or 192. I didn't know if having a bigger radiator and cooler stat will help with cooler running temps. Thanks for clearing things up for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page