LinkBack Thread Tools
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhiromi View Post
Ok, I picked up the car this weekend. Pretty good shape overall, one good sized rust spot in the side but it's manageable. It has a SLP loudmouth exhaust and a B&M hammer shifter, so that's nice.

It did start up right away, but you can see (pic below) whats going on with the spark plug blowout. I'd like to fix it without removing the head, but i'm not sure that's gonna happen.
Thanks for the update and good luck on the repairs. It sounds like the posters above have you headed in the right direction for a fix.

On another note what a killer garage setup you have. If that is a townhome that is even better. How you get a lift in the garage. I had a townhome with a slightly oversized 2 car that was deeper and wider than a standard garage and thought about this, but I was limited due to height. I now have a house with a large garage also and higher ceilings and have thought about trying again. I would really love a lift no so much for storage or fitting more cars, but just the ease of working on my own car in the comfort of my home. haha Would love to discuss in PM details about your setup at some point when you have time drop me a PM.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Can these be used with the head on the car? Wouldn't the shavings wind up in the cylinder?
You use some grease while running the tap through the hole, the grease contains all the shavings.

squekster likes this.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, looks like i'll have to pull the head to fix it. The threads are broken off in the well and I can't pull them out.

So what's the general consensus on pulling a cylinder head? Is it easier to pull the motor/trans entirely or can it be done inside the car? I only need to pull the passenger head and I've already removed the fenders.

Any advice is appreciated.

GT Member

Quote:
Can these be used with the head on the car? Wouldn't the shavings wind up in the cylinder?

The trick is to coat the tap with wheel bearing grease and it will hold on to the particles.
You start tapping with a few turns then back it out wipe it clean apply more grease
tap in a few more turns back it out wipe it clean and grease it up again until you finish.
GT Member

Quote:
Well, looks like i'll have to pull the head to fix it. The threads are broken off in the well and I can't pull them out.

So what's the general consensus on pulling a cylinder head? Is it easier to pull the motor/<acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> entirely or can it be done inside the car? I only need to pull the passenger head and I've already removed the fenders.

Any advice is appreciated.

Before you pull the head which is the way to go if necessary, try this.
It looks like you might be able to grab that piece in the pic you posted.
trying to pull that straight will prove useless. The way to get that out is
try and get a good grip on it with a set of needle nose pliers and twist it
that looks like a threaded sleeve it could collapse on it self and you might be
able to pull it out or maybe back it out.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, the good news is that the broken threaded part came off in one piece. The bad news is that it dropped into the cylinder. I spent a pretty good amount of time last night with an inspection camera rigged up with a hook to grab it, and have no problem getting hold of it. Unfortunately it's too large in it's current shape to pull back through the hole, so I'm going to attempt to reshape (read; smash with a wooden dowel) the piece inside the cylinder. If I can't get it done in 2-3 hours, I'll just pull the head. I certainly don't want to if not absolutely necessary, but it would give me a chance to clean up the engine and refresh all the gaskets.

I'll post pics/video from the inspection camera soon.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Try using a small telescoping magnet, or if you're really crafty then break the magnet off from the telescoping part and tie a string around it and drop it in there. It may be like playing the claw machine at your local pizza place but at least it won't cost $1 per try.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Remove the cylinder head only if you feel that's the only way left to go. I would even Google something like "dropped some sh!t down in the cylinder" just to see what sort of stuff other people have done in lieu of cylinder head removal.

You may be able the pull the head with the engine in the car, but everybody I've ever heard from on the subject will tell you that you'll thank yourself later if you just pull the engine. Give heavy consideration to installing a new timing chains/tensioners/guides set while you're in there.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page