97 mustang gt heating up! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

97 mustang gt heating up!

I have a 97 mustang gt. A few weeks ago my car over heated. I found out my fan had blow a fuse. Replaced the fuse, car still over heated. Fan wasnt coming on like it should. It would come on for 3 seconds then cut off and not come back on. I replaced the ccrm and still was not working. I disconnected the fan and took 2 wires and hooked them up to my battery and my fan wasnt putting out. So, to save some money, I bought 2 12 inch fans that are rated 2,150 cfm. (Dont know if its each or total) the car still was over heating. I then replaced the water pump and did a coolant flush. Well a buddy did for me. Then I replaced the thermostat. Advanced auto parts website has the wrong ones for my car fyi. Had to go to autozone. With all that being said, I drove my car for about a hour in 90+ degree heat with the ac running. My car got to the start of "L" on the word "NORMAL" on the dash but would not over heat. Which is a plus. I took my car to a shop to have some A/C work done and while there, had them check the temp of the hose going to the thermostat, the thermostat it self and the engine. Hose was 187 degrees, thermostat was 220 but engine was a few degrees cooler. I'm running out of ideas as to why my car is still heating up. Should I buy an OEM fan? Any help would he grateful, thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1rider1987 View Post
Should I buy an OEM fan?
Yes! The Mustang GT has a complex two speed fan control scheme. The PCM is aware of the engine temp as well as the AC head pressure. The PCM also makes fan control decisions based upon the Car's speed.

It's actually fairly complex to get a set of after market fans to interop correctly with the stock fan control. Depending upon the fan set up a set of diodes and/or external relays would be needed. Some knowledge of electronics is also needed as well as some trial and error testing.

Likely you have wired the new fans incorrectly and they are cutting out when the PCM switches from one fan speed to another. Unless you are prepared to re-engineer the electronics stick to a factory set up. Save yourself the head ache.

Here's some more trouble shooting tips. The stock fan control actually turns off the fan above 45 MPH. Does the motor over heat when driven at a constant 60 MPH? If not this likely proves that the problem is fan related.

In my experience in cases where the motor slowly overheats the cause more often than not is a clogged radiator (assuming the system holds pressure and otherwise works as it should).

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

Last edited by wmburns; 09-01-2018 at 06:21 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018
Apprentice

Don't forget about the sensors, and gauge. They also can be problematic. Edit: I didn't mean they can make one over heat, but can show a false positive.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

I have the fans wired to a switch inside the car and turn the fans on just before the temp gets to mid range. I drove it down a back road at 60-65 mph with the fans and ac running and the car stayed at mid range. Once I got back to town the car started heating up. It never over heated but it got over 200 degrees.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
It never over heated but it got over 200 degrees.
The stock T-stat is 195 degrees. 200 degrees is NOT over heating. The PCM won't even turn the fans on at that temperature.

There's a reason WHY the stock PCM turns the fans off above 45 MPH.
  • the fans are not needed as the forward motion of the car creates enough airflow
  • it wastes power. Power equals gas mileage.
  • the normal airflow across the fans can turn the fans into generators. This extra voltage can cause problems with other of the car's electronics.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018
Apprentice

I can't remember if the fans come on at 221, and the fans go back off at 211 F. Burns will probably know. I had a fault in my gauge once, but busted out my thermocouple, and put her to the test. Bam, got it fixed. Just for a heads up, on these "BWD" brand stuff from Advance, Auto zone, and O'Reillys Auto parts, the gauge will sometimes read differently, and when I mean differently, I mean on the dash where it used to run correctly before, it now looks like its running hotter. That's not the case, unless its actually running hotter. You will just have to get used to it, or buy Motorcraft parts. In my personal experience, I thought my car was running heller hot, but that wasn't the case, a thermocouple proved otherwise. It's just that the temp gauge sensor now has more of an operating room range. I run a 180F in dead of summer, and change her back to a 192F in late November. I don't think my fans have kicked on but maybe 3 times this whole summer, but its getting hotter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I bought an OEM fan so here's to hoping that's the fix.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018
Apprentice

Quote:
Well I bought an OEM fan so here's to hoping that's the fix.
let us know how it works out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page