2000 Gt - Loss of power on high humidity days - Interesting topic - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Car can do burnouts, I did like 3 or 4 (about 5 seconds each) and car was kicking but after releasing the brakes the acceleration is not quick. Something is clogging the intake, no compression, MAF might be corrupted, who know's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshinee View Post
Car can do burnouts, I did like 3 or 4 (about 5 seconds each) and car was kicking but after releasing the brakes the acceleration is not quick. Something is clogging the intake, no compression, MAF might be corrupted, who know's
“No Compression.” Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean exactly? Like it’s slow to rev? Without a gauge how do you know?
Is the throttle body opening all the way?

Apprentice

Its definitely mechanical

Rookie

Not sure but it might help...

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger, same symptoms. Turns out it was the fuel pump.

Also, I have had several mustangs, recently my 05 GT would hesitate and shudder at idle. On a recent road trip a small tick from the front of the engine developed. Turns out one of the plastic chain guides broke in half. I spent 100 bucks on amazon and replaced all of the timing components in two days. Runs like new now. No codes ever showed up. Turns out the chain guides and cam phasers are prone to failure. Something to think about.

In any case, I would do two things if I were in your shoes.

1. Try the soapy water spray bottle technique to see if you have an engine leak.

2. If that doesn’t work, spend the 14 bucks on an auto stethoscope and poke around the timing cover to see if you hear any clicking.

Just my .02. Hope you figure it out.
Rookie

One more thing, another relatively cheap fix might be to give your fuel, oil, and and intake system the seafoam treatment. Might clear up any kind of gunk that had built up in the last 18 years. Just trying to help. I’ll let you decide the best option. I feel your pain. Troubleshooting blind sucks. It did wonders for my sons ‘02 V6.
Rookie

I'm wondering if it could be a messed up mass airflow sensor since you said you've have trouble with your cold air intake. Maybe some of the junk that came out of the CAI damaged the mass air flow sensor.
Rookie

ScottV brings up a good point, also might check the EGR valve.
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Ford59 Send a message via MSN to Ford59
I have an 01, did something similar for a while. Eventually I had a no start condition-with gas and spark. I had another one in the back yard and swapped parts and sensors one at a time. turned out to be the MAF. I have a code reader, no codes for it. Still running great now. Could try a junk yard MAF, is that helps buy a new one.
Rookie

I'll throw in my 2 cents here and say the barometric pressure sensor BAP may have water intrusion or failed components.
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
[QUOTE=dsrtgunslinger;9206801]Not sure but it might help...

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger, same symptoms. Turns out it was the fuel pump.

I went to a recommended mechanic who my neighbor claims that he is really good diagnosing so I pay him a visit yesterday and he didn't have his scanner with him so I have an appointment next Tuesday, he also thinks that the fuel pump might be acting up (he said that is a common issue for this Mustangs (99-04)

1. Try the soapy water spray bottle technique to see if you have an engine leak.

I tried that and I replaced like 85% all of the hoses and clamps.

2. If that doesn’t work, spend the 14 bucks on an auto stethoscope and poke around the timing cover to see if you hear any clicking.

IDK how to do that.

Thanks
post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgunslinger View Post
One more thing, another relatively cheap fix might be to give your fuel, oil, and and intake system the seafoam treatment. Might clear up any kind of gunk that had built up in the last 18 years. Just trying to help. I’ll let you decide the best option. I feel your pain. Troubleshooting blind sucks. It did wonders for my sons ‘02 V6.
I did that last Thursday; Seafoam induction and I felt and improvement but the car still a bit rough and not running at full power.
post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
I'm wondering if it could be a messed up mass airflow sensor since you said you've have trouble with your cold air intake. Maybe some of the junk that came out of the CAI damaged the mass air flow sensor.
I guy who I met at a car show gave me for free his stock CAI with the MAF and AIT for FREE so I switched all and there was no difference (unless his MAF is messed up too) but yes I am suspicious too but I don't want to buy parts just to see if it works or not. Now that the weather is coming down the vibration in the engine and also the sluggishness is going away but still not running as it should be.
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgunslinger View Post
ScottV brings up a good point, also might check the EGR valve.
I did check it and cleaned it but I didn't clean the plenum or let's say the little hole that goes right next to the EGR valve. I've seen videos of that hole full of carbon deposits and they need to be clean with a wire and a drill. I want to do that too.
post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford59 View Post
I have an 01, did something similar for a while. Eventually I had a no start condition-with gas and spark. I had another one in the back yard and swapped parts and sensors one at a time. turned out to be the MAF. I have a code reader, no codes for it. Still running great now. Could try a junk yard MAF, is that helps buy a new one.
Like I mentioned I tried a MAF from a 2001 GT and there was no change. I found a new MAF on Ebay for $100 and change. Does it have to be MOTORCRAFT or any other brand that cost more than $250 to work properly?
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshinee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford59 View Post
Like I mentioned I tried a MAF from a 2001 GT and there was no change. I found a new MAF on Ebay for $100 and change. Does it have to be MOTORCRAFT or any other brand that cost more than $250 to work properly?
No, doesn’t have to be motorcraft. Just one for your make and model.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page