4.6 4 cam ?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

4.6 4 cam ??

So my plans to replace my again MARK VIII with a mustang have been put on hold for a while. Some health issues with the significant other force me to wait a bit.

So i've spent some coin on the car. new headliner new carpet A/c gone thru and working very nice. I still have a few electrical gremlins ( car has more relays than the space shuttle!!) What i'd like to do is improve the performance a bit. i've recently replaced the fuel filter (big issues on these cars) Replaced the secondary air pump. Cleaned up and tightened the air intake tube(no more leaks after the MAF) i'm scheduled to doglegs and wires soon.

I'm saving for a posi unit and new gears (3.50 ratio)

now the motor has 137K miles several people I know have gone over 250K on these cars so i'm not to worried. The <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> was rebuilt at around 95K miles and the suspension converted to coil overs all around (no more leaky airbags)

The biggest issue with the 4 cam motor is of course low end grunt. this is magnifies as the Marks are 1000 pounds heavier than the mustangs. The car will start to move as the tach crosses 4000 rpm. however with that tall a power band when you step on it it drops two gears in order to accelerate. Now if this was a carb car i'd go with a smaller manifold with straighter runners and step down the jets sizes on the carb. with the "B" head motor there aren't a lot of manifolds out there. unless i get a complete cobra upper and lower! I've heard the cobra also suffers at the bottom end in the 96-98 models.

So what is the easiest cheapest way to get a little more low end torque?

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018
BOSS Member

I hope you get to feeling better soon!!!! IMHO, diff gears would be the best $ for $....

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018
GT Member

Garage
A good stall converter will help get the car in the power band. I used a 3600 stall in my town car, and it moves out. But, that’s not exactly an easy task, neither are gears though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page