Brake Hoses - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Do y’all think that the braided brake lines/hoses are worth the extra money vs a new rubber set? They look cool, but I don’t think they can be seen very well on my rig.
The price gap would be around $50 I think.
These J&M’s claim to have coating so “slick it blows the dot tests out of the water.” What tests? Your hose must be X amount of smoothness? Y’all ever have the guy at the sticker station stroke your hose to check for bumps? The last time they did mine fluid went everywhere as soon as they touched it...
Should I get “magic” brake hoses or go oem? Everyone has improved pedal feel after a brake job. I bet not too many have done lines only. Someone do an experiment to see if they’re ligit or not. Replace a fresh set of rubbers with stainless and see if you can notice the difference. At the end of the day maybe sometimes a gimmick is worth an extra fifty bucks. I dunno.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/j-m-c...ml#productInfo

J&M has another set that is not Teflon lined and it apparently doesn’t blow the dot tests away because they don’t mention it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14B18618-D597-4F2D-A1B8-384084F02BA5_1540953153358.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	606613  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018
GT Member

They do look pretty sweet, and I hear good things about what they do for pedal feel. But I don't like how the braid obscures the hose. I prefer hoses that I can inspect for cracking and such.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
But I don't like how the braid obscures the hose. I prefer hoses that I can inspect for cracking and such.
Yeah, I didn’t think about that.
Maybe good ole fashioned rubber for the win?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018
GT Member

Maybe. I mean those stainless hoses are supposed to be a really nice upgrade, and I don't want to discredit that. But I'm the kind of guy who would rather not wait for the hose to suddenly burst. I want to see warning signs first. That's kind of a deal-breaker for me.

I wonder how long-term owners handle this. Are you supposed to simply replace them every few (5? 10?) years as a maintenance item?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Maybe. I mean those stainless hoses are supposed to be a really nice upgrade, and I don't want to discredit that. But I'm the kind of guy who would rather not wait for the hose to suddenly burst. I want to see warning signs first. That's kind of a deal-breaker for me.

I wonder how long-term owners handle this. Are you supposed to simply replace them every few (5? 10?) years as a maintenance item?
Mine has the original hoses and fluid..
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018
GT Member

Yeah, OE rubber hoses are typically good for a couple of decades if not abused, so one would hope that the SS hoses last that long as well. Hard to find info on their actual long-term durability, though. FWIW, this StopTech page states that "hoses without the [clear polymeric] coating [over the braid] should be inspected and replaced on a more frequent basis."

I'm not sure how in-depth the inspection they're talking about is (probably just a quick visual since there's not much to see anyway), but the part about replacing them on a "more frequent basis" is interesting.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Yeah, OE rubber hoses are typically good for a couple of decades if not abused, so one would hope that the SS hoses last that long as well. Hard to find info on their actual long-term durability, though. FWIW, this StopTech page states that "hoses without the [clear polymeric] coating [over the braid] should be inspected and replaced on a more frequent basis."
I'm not sure how in-depth the inspection they're talking about is (probably just a quick visual since there's not much to see anyway), but the part about replacing them on a "more frequent basis" is interesting.
Good find. My brake lines aren’t bad, but since they’re old they might as well be replaced.
I guess they’re worried the metal lines will rub a hole in themselves? Quality control might be better with the higher end hoses than say a set of autozone rubbers though. With all the mass produced rebranded stuff I’m often leery that the aftermarket oem equivalents are of lesser quality than my old oem’s.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I put SS braided lines on my motorcycles, but couldn't prove a difference in braking performance if I were pressed. One of them had great brakes before the new lines...the other could be counted on to slow down when the brakes were applied. As a single brake modification on a "street" car, I probably would not spend the extra money.

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsedge View Post
I put SS braided lines on my motorcycles, but couldn't prove a difference in braking performance if I were pressed. One of them had great brakes before the new lines...the other could be counted on to slow down when the brakes were applied. As a single brake modification on a "street" car, I probably would not spend the extra money.
Thanks man, kinda what I suspected. I need to do a brake job and fluid flush so I was contemplating getting stainless. But if you can’t feel a difference with your finger I doubt I will with my leg.
BOSS Member

SS hoses server one purpose IMHO, in conditions where the hoses are exposed to the high potential of failure due to physical damage (rock climbing, racing, etc.) and should not be employed in street type conditions. 1) Visual damage/failure cannot be seen, 2) replacement is required typically on a 5 year basis because of this.

As far as pedal pressure, any good high quality hose (as compared to the oem units up through the early 90's) will have almost as much rigidity to expansion as the SS hoses do..... simply upgrading the fluid will do amazing things!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
replacement is required typically on a 5 year basis because of this.
5 years! No kidding... huh.

Couldn't help but notice you used the word "required" there- sounds like more than just a rule of thumb... Is that a racing rule? Longevity estimate from a manufacturer?

Either way, I'm sure that it's a conservative figure, erring on the side of safety. My own googling came up with a rule of thumb saying to replace rubber hoses every 6 years (some say 5-6, some say 6-8). I'm not sure where those numbers originate from. I probably wouldn't follow such a schedule anyway. I'd just judge the interior condition of the hose by inspecting its exterior. Besides, 6 years is far less than OE rubber has been proven to last...

BOSS Member

Quote:
5 years! No kidding... huh.

Couldn't help but notice you used the word "required" there- sounds like more than just a rule of thumb... Is that a racing rule? Longevity estimate from a manufacturer?

Either way, I'm sure that it's a conservative figure, erring on the side of safety. My own googling came up with a rule of thumb saying to replace rubber hoses every 6 years (some say 5-6, some say 6-8). I'm not sure where those numbers originate from. I probably wouldn't follow such a schedule anyway. I'd just judge the interior condition of the hose by inspecting its exterior. Besides, 6 years is far less than OE rubber has been proven to last...
The mfg's have used that for years...as printed in the very fine print on their product labels or references

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Who has the best rubbers?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJiPDAr9f8
GT Member

Quote:
The mfg's have used that for years...as printed in the very fine print on their product labels or references
Product labels? Never seen anything like that on replacement part packaging. Nor have I come across that sort of thing in owners manuals, maintenance schedules, repair manuals, or Monroney stickers. What documents are you referring to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Good video.
Can't say I've experimented with many brands, but FWIW I gravitate towards Raybestos Pro Grade.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Quote:
Product labels? Never seen anything like that on replacement part packaging. Nor have I come across that sort of thing in owners manuals, maintenance schedules, repair manuals, or Monroney stickers. What documents are you referring to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Good video.
Can't say I've experimented with many brands, but FWIW I gravitate towards Raybestos Pro Grade.
Thanks, I’ll look into Ray.
That guy made another video where he adds a $2,500 titanium cat-back to an s2000. It was 35 lbs lighter than the stock one. It gained 2 hp and reduced his e/t by a few thousandths... $2,500!
$11, now we’re talking https://www.carid.com/raybestos/prof...n-bh38372.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page