Thinking of bBuying first 4.6. Intake Manifold Questions. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thinking of bBuying first 4.6. Intake Manifold Questions.

Howdy, all. I used to be a member years ago when I owned an S195. I'm now looking at a 2002 GT convertible with 161K miles. Owner states his mechanic discovered the plastic intake manifold was leaking coolant into a spark plug channel. The car is giving a P0303 code, which I think is a misfire. Quoted him $1100. He wants $3600 and I intend on offering him $3000 cash and maybe negotiating somewhere in the middle. My budget to make the car roadworthy is $4500 minus whatever the car cost.

I priced a new Ford Racing manifold, new plugs, all relevant gaskets, a single new coil pack, and a bunch of tune-up stuff for around $1000.

What are the odds this leaking manifold did more damage than a misfire? I'll be looking for any signs of overheating or head gasket damage. Are there any major maintenance items due around 160K miles? Any timing chain failures at that range or anything like that? Any other deal breakers you would consider?

Thanks for all the help, hope to be riding in a Mustang again soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_DRFT View Post
Are there any major maintenance items due around 160K miles? Any timing chain failures at that range or anything like that?
At that mileage timing chains is real concern. Especially IF the car already has the initial start up chain rattle.

If it does have the start up chain rattle perhaps you could use that as an additional leverage tool.

Regarding the intake manifold. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

These are the kind of projects I live for. I will do intake manifold and timing chain repairs all day long assuming I can get the car for the right price.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ah, that's what that sound was. I heard I steady, higher picked mechanical whine around the front of the engine and couldn't place it. I bet it needs one.

I live very near my school and don't necessarily need a car. I have enough experience to do the intake manifold and timing chain. What's the turnaround time on the timing chain? I can't imagine the parts are horrible expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page