Power steering completely drained & car won't start now - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Power steering completely drained & car won't start now

So something strange happened to my Mustang GT when the power steering pump was squealing and I drained it completely and replaced with new fluid, because the car won't start now! Its acting like it's not getting fuel. That's how it's acting even though that has nothing to do with what I did, but now I'm really confused! Why or for what reason would my car not start? It turns over but won't fire. I cranked it so many times that I have to charge my battery now. Can someone please help me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018
PONY Member

Garage
How did you go about draining your steering pump? If you had to remove the pump from the car, look for any wiring connectors that may have been disconnected or at least pulled loose.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

I just used a hand pump to remove the fluid then removed the low pressure line to remove all fluid and cranked the car over enough to get what was left inside the pump

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

I went out and looked for any loose wires and found one on the right side all the way against the firewall near the clutch cable that wasn't connected. The guy that had it before me did some serious rigging and I have no idea why or what it even goes to. It goes along the top of the firewall and then down the left side of the engine and towards the transmission. I'll go take a picture to show you his bs rigging. Maybe you know what its for
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

As you can see...this is some crazy rigging and the 2nd pic shows the wires running down behind the motor. The blue one was disconnected. Must have happened when I was putting on new vacuum lines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181125_171637_1543184351149.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	607159   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181125_171750_1543184387237.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	607161  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson1996 View Post
As you can see...this is some crazy rigging and the 2nd pic shows the wires running down behind the motor. The blue one was disconnected. Must have happened when I was putting on new vacuum lines
I went out and crawled under the car to see if I could see where they go but I couldn't find them. I'll have to get it up on stands before I can figure it out. I appreciate you helping and if you have any idea what this mess is...I'd appreciate your help Travis
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018
BOSS Member

Assuming the engine spins over...I would check out the crankshaft position sensor...the connector can become brittle, wires/connector might have gotten "wet" and this will easily cause the issue.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Assuming the engine spins over...I would check out the crankshaft position sensor...the connector can become brittle, wires/connector might have gotten "wet" and this will easily cause the issue.

Okay @Beechkid I will check that after I get home today. Thanks for helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page