SR Performance mufflers? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Coosawjack
  • 1 Post By Beechkid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

SR Performance mufflers?

Has anybody seen a cutaway shot of the SR Performance mufflers that AM sells? I'd like to see how they are designed on the inside.

I'm shopping cat-back kits and the prices are all over the ball park. $290 for the SRP, $631 for the Magnaflow, and everything in between.

I saw the article that a Mustang magazine did where they flow tested several popular mufflers and every single one of them was within 1-3 horsepower of each other at various RPMs. But the SRP mufflers were not in the test. I just want to make sure they aren't junk before putting them on my list.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019
PONY Member

No experience, but all the FB groups say to stay away from SR products.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
They are probably fine. I'm sure quality isn't what it could be but if you like the sound go for it.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019
Rookie

Can't speak to the SR's but I took a shot and had the Pype Bomb Cat Back's (from AM) installed on my 99 GT and I really like the low note they have. They are relatively mild, IMHO, at ldle and low speed cruising but bark nicely when I get on it. FWIW.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks. I'm kind of leaning toward the Pypes Violator kit or the Gibson kit. From what I gather, the Violators are like Magnaflows in that they're a straight through design and that's what I want. I would just bag up the Magnaflow kit and be done with it, but $631 for a cat-back is a little nuts.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Has anybody seen a cutaway shot of the SR Performance mufflers that AM sells? I'd like to see how they are designed on the inside. I'm shopping cat-back kits and the prices are all over the ball park. $290 for the SRP, $631 for the Magnaflow, and everything in between. I saw the article that a Mustang magazine did where they flow tested several popular mufflers and every single one of them was within 1-3 horsepower of each other at various RPMs. But the SRP mufflers were not in the test. I just want to make sure they aren't junk before putting them on my list.
If I may talk like a "Dutch Uncle" for a moment here.....and IMHO....1st, forget every mag write-up you have almost ever seen published in the past decade because they are "Paid Ad's" and honestly, given the right circumstances, you can make anything show how you want it to....

One of the best articles written is by WyoTech was published by Hot Rod Magazine. On the net, please read:

broaderperformance.com/muffler_flow_tests.htm (Independently tested cfm flowsof the more popular mufflers, glasspacks and resonators @ 15” wc:

2 ½” diameter straight pipe 521
2 ¼” diameter straight pipe 365
2” diameter straight pipe 283
2 ¼” diameter tailpipe 268
2 ¼” round glasspack- no louvers 274
2 ¼” round glasspack- with inwardpunched louvers 133
2 ¼” round glasspack- inwardpunched louvers/installed backwards 141
2 ½” inlet/outlet DynomaxSuperTurbo 268
2 1/4” inlet/outlet Thrush CVX 260
2 ½” inlet/outlet Flowmaster2-chamber 249
2 ¼” inlet/2 ½”outlet Cherry Bombturbo 249
2 ¼” inlet/outlet Flowmaster3-chamber 229
2 ¼” inlet/2 ½”outlet MaremountSuper C (OEM Replacement) 149
2 ¼” inlet/2” dual outlet Maremount 183
2 ¼” inlet/outlet California Turbo 229
2 ½” inlet/outlet HookerAerochamber 324
2 ½” inlet/outlet Hooker MaxFlow 521
2 ¼” inlet/outlet MaremountCherrybomb Vortex 298
2 ½” inlet center/outlet offsetBorla Turbo 373

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...../index1.html (this is an in-depth article that tests not only themis-conception of flow demand but also how placement of a muffler (a glass packin this dyno test) can actually "fool " the system into thinking thatit is essentially a straight pipe.

I have listed here a mufflershootout test done by CAR CRAFT:

The Mufflers
MAKE MODEL
Part No.
SUMMIT Turbo 630125
THRUSH Magnum Glasspack 24214
THRUSH Boss Turbo 17718
HOOKER Competition 21006
DYNOMAX Super Turbo 17733
DYNOMAX Race Magnum 24215
HOOKER Super Competition 21106
SUMMIT Fully Welded 630325
FLOWTECH Afterburner 50322

MUFFLER FLOW TEST

MUFFLER Flow at 28-in H20
DynoMax Race Magnum 528.64 cfm
Thrush Magnum Glasspack 507.40 cfm
Summit Fully Welded 343.38 cfm
Flowtech Afterburner 342.20 cfm
DynoMax Super Turbo 333.94 cfm
Hooker Competition 232.46 cfm
Hooker Super Competition 320.96 cfm
Summit Turbo 331.16 cfm
Thrush Boss Turbo 297.36 cfm

MUFFLER Idle dB WOT dB
DynoMax Super Turbo 89 123
DynoMax Race Magnum 94 133
Flowtech Afterburner 92 124
Hooker Competion 92 122
Hooker Super Competion 90 125
Summit Turbo 89 124
Summit Fully Welded 92 125
Thrush Boss Turbo 90 123
Thrush Magnum Glasspack 92 128

DYNO TEST
All mufflers were dyno-tested on a 355-cube SBC with 10.0:1 compression, AirFlow Research 190 aluminum heads, a CompCams 292 hyd. a Victor Jr. intake, aHolley 750-cfm double-pumper, and 1 5/8 Headman headers.

MUFFLER HP TORQUE 2,500-6,000rpmAverage
Hooker Competition 397.4 381.1 286.8hp/351.9 lb-ft
Thrush Boss Turbo 407.1 384.9 292.1 hp/357.5 lb-ft
DynoMax Race Magnum 409.5 394.3 298.8 hp/366.9 lb-ft
Flowtech Afterburner 409.7 391.2 294.8 hp/361.7 lb-ft
Thrush Glasspack 409.5 389.8 297.7 hp/365.3 lb-ft
Summit Turbo 411.5 386.3 291.5 hp/357.4 lb-ft
DynoMax Super Turbo 412.7 387.2 292.6 hp/358.6 lb-ft
Hooker Super Comp 413.8 387.2 292.8 hp/359.0 lb-ft
Summit Fully Welded 415.4 390.7 295.6 hp/362.4 lb-ft

While there are mufflers that will out flow a glass pack design, it alsodepends on the design. Does the glasspack use "louvers orperforations" - Louvers reduce the flow by as much as 50% but Alliedresonators (that sell for $40-$80) each and available at any muffler shop) in independent test flowed 90%+ of a "race spec muffler".Others using other brands consistently showed similar results.

In short, I would forget any and all of the mail order cat-back systems as many end up needing a little massaging to make them fit right...so you are likely to end up at a muffler shop anyway...… I would recommend saving a lot ofmoney & go with Allied resonators......available is any muffler shopnationwide, are of excellent quality, 1/2 the price of “performance Mufflers”,available in any length from 10" to 38" (IIRR), flow as good as Borlaor most any of the "Race Mufflers”, tone is deeper and you get a nicerumble (low) with no drone and none of the tinny "ricer" echo. Alliedhas been made for at least 30 years and available in just about any diameteryou would require (I have personally run these for since the 1970's....nice lowrumble on acceleration & deceloration, no drone, deep tone.

If you go to a real muffler shop, the costs should be around $100 per pipe plus tips and mufflers.....

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
@Beachkid.
I usually research them when you talk about allied resonators and they look like, on the outside, alot of other mufflers on the market.
Can you elaborate and or post a link with a cut away view and description of the interior build of them?
Maybe I missed it somewhere but I'm sincerely curious.
Thanks.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
@Beachkid.
I usually research them when you talk about allied resonators and they look like, on the outside, a lot of other mufflers on the market.
Can you elaborate and or post a link with a cut away view and description of the interior build of them?
Maybe I missed it somewhere but I'm sincerely curious.
Thanks.

Try this link. https://team-allied.com/rt-4064-team-allied-street-series.html Click on the item you are interested in, and click on the link with the adobe logo in front of it. It will open and give you a cut-away view and specs.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019
PONY Member

Check these guys out.......Magnaflow "Knock-offs" at half the price!!

Jones Exhaust Systems, Inc.

You're welcome!!
JonR2006 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post

If you go to a real muffler shop, the costs should be around $100 per pipe plus tips and mufflers.....
The local muffler shop says they cannot bend 2.5" pipe and make it work. He's a racer himself, so I trust him. And that's one of my main goals with the cat back; I want to match the 2.5" diameter of my H-pipe with 2.5" for my cat-back to increase flow.

And let's assume that he could.. that's $75 per pipe, plus $100 per muffler, plus tips, plus labor... I'm already into mail order kit territory.

Gone but not forgotten:
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
The local muffler shop says they cannot bend 2.5" pipe and make it work. He's a racer himself, so I trust him. And that's one of my main goals with the cat back; I want to match the 2.5" diameter of my H-pipe with 2.5" for my cat-back to increase flow.

And let's assume that he could.. that's $75 per pipe, plus $100 per muffler, plus tips, plus labor... I'm already into mail order kit territory.
A muffler shop that can't bend 2.5" pipe? That's not a muffler shop..... he's missing the dies and that's it. It is also not necessary to do mandrel bends because is a "real muffler shop guy" wants to make the pipes look smooth and pretty (although the flow is reduced barely if at all), the "technique" is to fill the pipe with sand, cap the ends (even with plastic wrap) and then bend the pipe...it will come out like mandrel formed. As far as the H-Pipe...
With regards to “H” pipe, the “H” was originally conceived to balance the two separate exhaustpulses to create 1) smoothness & 2) reduce the “brapp” sound, latermarketing guys started promoting the performance benefits although at the timeand as verified in later dyno tests, there was little to no performancegain. The “X” pipe is in essence tryingto simulate the effects of a 180 degree exhaust system whereby discharging theexhaust on opposite pipes creates a “vacuum” effect literally sucking the nextexhaust pulse out, creating less back pressure etc….and it is effective. There are several ways to verify the locationof where it should be installed and swag is not a good thing & can actuallyhave a negative impact. Typically theinstall would go about ½ way between themufflers & header/manifold…..the location, you can either use an IR gun andlook for the hottest spot or take a swag of where the location is, take somepaint & paint a thin line down that area….drive the car for about 10-15minutes with a couple full throttle short accel’s, then look for where thepaint is blistered….this is the “area of confusion” and where the x-pipe shouldbe installed.

and with regards to the price..... the $400 cat back systems...well you will lucky if they fit without a trip to the muffler shop to have that 2.5" pipe bent to properly fit or seal or..... I could go on. By the time the good ones get done with shipping, etc, you are looking at pushing $600.

Find a real muffler shop....with a gent who has a flattop for a haircut, a set of oxy/acet torch that look as old as dirt sitting next to the mig welder and even better if the shop has a "pit" from the 1950's to work in!
Jeremy Weigel likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page