• 1 Post By JonR2006
  • 3 Post By wmburns
  • 1 Post By 02 shaker
  • 1 Post By AlloyPony

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2002 GT automatic

Tomorrow I'm going to check out what looks like a cream puff with 76K miles. At least the posted pics portray it accordingly. Besides the usual check points such as tires, oil drips etc, what should I be on the lookout for? I've had four 4.6L engines in the past (95 TBird, 98, 03 and 06 Crown Victoria Sports) and remember that except for the spark plug socket design flaw, they were solid.

My previous Mustangs include a 2012 V6 Premium and a 2014 GT Premium. I'm not expecting the same performance and handling of the '14 GT, but I need to know what might be of concern as I evaluate the car.

Thanks!!!

UPDATE: Although I never had an issue with ejected spark plugs with my other 4.6L engines, it seems that this is a common issue according to the internet with the 2002 and other GTs.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)

Last edited by Okie Hick; 01-25-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019
GT Member

IIRC, Ford had made the change to aluminum intake manifold coolant crossovers by 2002, right? Hm, 76k miles seems a little early for any balljoint, wheel bearing, or transmission issues to be popping up. I would expect it to be fairly trouble free, aside from typical maintenance items. As always, it depends on how the previous owner(s) treated it. Hopefully it checks out to be as nice as it sounds.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Nothing I would be concerned with other than a clean carfax if you can get one. I just sold my 04 F150 heritage truck which had the 4.6 2v and automatic, it had 371k on the clock and it did not drip a drop of fluids whatsoever. Engine and transmission were original, including the water pump and fuel pump and starter. No spark plug issues. It didn't smoke at all or miss. It ran like a top, the transmission shifted like new. I did have the transmission powerflushed every 100k miles which may have contributed to its life, I maintained the engine as well and, well, there you have it.......371k and ran like a champ when I sold it! I think you will be fine. On another note, the 02 GT I sold to a friend a few yrs ago which just turned 100k on the clock recently had a plug blow out, they "heli-coiled" the hole and it was back in business, However, that car had 4:56 gears with an auto transmission, so it does see a little abuse.

02 yellow GT auto......SOLD.
Looking for another, stay tuned!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well I went and checked out the car and it was a "no go". The engine sounded ok and the tranny shifted OK. However, the first thing I noticed was that the hood and fender metallic paint had many more "sparkles" than the rest of the car despite the fact that the color shade was well matched. I pointed that out to which the owner said that the hood had to be repainted due to an excessive amount of chips. Yeah right. So the fenders were repainted to match the hood but then the fender sparkles didn't match the doors. Despite a clean CARFAX report, I think the car had been wrecked and repaired by an amateur and not reported. A professional would have done a better job on the paint.

During the drive, the rear end suspension bushings squawked excessively and the tires sounded bumpy probably due to the cupping I saw. When I came to a stop and put it in neutral, the idle RPM spiked up and became unsteady for a few seconds. That is a problem reported by some owners and caused by the throttle body needing replacement. But by then I had been turned off by the paint and pretty much figured that it wouldn't turn into a deal. I didn't take it out on the road to put it thru its paces. He was asking $7400 but said that he would consider an offer. Had everything been hunky dory, I was prepared to offer $6000.

The car can be viewed on Facebook's Marketplace. It's the gray one.

So that's my full report. I'm still keeping my eye out for a deal.
Urambo Tauro and JonR2006 like this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
These cars are a dime a dozen. You will find one. Don't be scared of mileage over 100k either. over 150k is when the maintenance will really get expensive...too expensive to justify the cost unless it's the dream car one wants and wants to build it.
Urambo Tauro likes this.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
These cars are a dime a dozen. You will find one. Don't be scared of mileage over 100k either. over 150k is when the maintenance will really get expensive.
I'm always on the hunt for a new Craigslist "project". The problem I find is it's hard to find an "un-molested" examples. Too many racer wantabee's out there.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
I'm always on the hunt for a new Craigslist "project". The problem I find is it's hard to find an "un-molested" examples. Too many racer wantabee's out there.
I've always maintained that I will never buy a used Mustang. By their nature and status in society they are asking for abuse due to their extreme "mod-ability". HOWEVER, I'll keep looking and know just enough about cars to be able to spot the right one. I don't have enough room to adopt a project car.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
Yea, I'm on the hunt for an 03-04 GT right now with low miles and in stock form......not much luck on that. I found a few Bullitts and Machs with low miles and in the stock form, but not sure I want to pay the markups for those models. I stalled a bit and let a couple of low mileage Bullitts get away for 9k and 8.5k. DOAH!!!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 shaker View Post
Yea, I'm on the hunt for an 03-04 GT right now with low miles and in stock form......not much luck on that. I found a few Bullitts and Machs with low miles and in the stock form, but not sure I want to pay the markups for those models. I stalled a bit and let a couple of low mileage Bullitts get away for 9k and 8.5k. DOAH!!!
The Mach’s are worth it in my opinion. Not so much the Bullitts.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
The Mach’s are worth it in my opinion. Not so much the Bullitts.
Most machs with low miles in stock form or with a couple of mods are priced anywhere from 12k to 20k, 20k being overpriced, Most Bullitts are priced in the same range which is way over. There is one bullitt I have my eye on, but its a little high, it does only have 5k miles on it. There were like 3 that I was watching and 2 of them had only 20k miles on them and one went for 8.6k on ebay and the other went for like 10k and another with 50k miles went for 9.4k. I thought those were priced ok, I just waited too long to make a decision.
JonR2006 likes this.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Bullitt is cool due to collectibility and a few bits n' pieces like decent brakes and a different intake manifold. Besides that it's really just an expensive GT.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
PONY Member

I passed on a 36,000 mile Bullitt to buy a 128,000 mile Mach 1 at nearly the same price. I haven't regretted it a single day. The difference in power at high RPM is very noticeable in the 4V over the 2V.

For the record, the very first thing I had to do when I got the car is have the hood painted and the front bumper and fenders blended in. It's VERY common to have excessive rock chips on these cars, so I don't doubt that the guy selling that creme puff GT was telling you the truth.
JonR2006 likes this.

2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Ford Performance aluminum shaft - Mac O/R H-pipe - Airbox modification - 17% tint

Gone but not forgotten:
2001 GT auto in Zinc Yellow-Flowmaster mufflers - Pypes O/R H pipe-Eibach Sportline springs/Koni STR.T shocks-AMR wheels w/ 315/35 MT Street Comps-FR 3.73s-Blankenship Performance tuning-Steeda Under-drive pulleys-BBK CAI-AcuFab 70mm TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page