Ford Mustang Forum banner

Strut brace 1998 Mustang

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  145566 
#1 ·
Have purchased a factory 3 point strut brace from a 1995 GT . Reading some of the posts regarding installation on a 1998 , will need to remove the wiper blades , cowl & the plastic part just below the cowl on the firewall ( not sure what its called ) . Apparently the plastic firewall part needs to be trimmed in order to mount the strut brace ? Really hate to cut up a perfectly good part , so I'm wondering what does that same part from a 1995 that came stock with a strut brace look like & would that part fit / work on a 1998 ?

#2 ·
Just and educated guess here, but from installing a 3 point SB on my 02, any factory equip STB mustangs would have had the notch removed (from the plastic shroud), by the factory. All you are doing is creating a metal to metal mating surface (also so you can drill into the fire wall for the bolts that will hold it).
I personally think the STB is a good upgrade for our cars (corning feels much tighter). Everything I have done to my 02, I have done so with trying to maintain a very stock feel (as if it came from Ford this way). Once installed the area you have to notch is almost completely unnoticeable.

#3 ·
Concur with ^^^SonicBlu^^^. I assume your cowl is the same brittle plastic as that on my 2K...be extremely careful with it as they are really thin (and did I mention brittle?). Lol...I got mine off with only one crack, set it aside and broke it later when I hit it with my floor jack $$. 🤦

#4 ·
Old thread, but anyway, it looks like this.
There’s a “ledge” running along the firewall that it bolts to. I marked the “ledge” with a red line.
Does it make a difference? I don’t know. It feels the same on or off to me.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.