02 GT Not starting - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drew.pansza88

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

02 GT Not starting

I replaced the plugs a month ago and one of them was stuck to the coil and I had to basically rip it out, which stretched the coil. I managed to get it on the plug still but it started sputtering at low rpm when giving it more throttle. Then last week I was driving around and I came back home it started sputtering and what felt like slipping. So I parked it and it almost died before I shut it off. Now it cranks but won't start even when giving light gas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
Did you consider replacing the stretched coil?

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
Did you consider replacing the stretched coil?
I was going to if it was going to run wonky but it ran just fine up until then. I'm gonna go see if I can just get one tomorrow.
huberoy123 likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Just wondering. You are aware that you can buy just the replacement COP boot insulators? The kit includes new springs. Much cheaper than buying a whole new COP.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...e.html#2984838

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

It just started after I unplugged the air flow sensor. Obviously idled funny so i plugged it back in and it idled fine then started to have a very slight but odd feeling. Like it was barely misfiring. When I shut it off and tried to start it again, it wouldn't.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.pansza88 View Post
It just started after I unplugged the air flow sensor. Obviously idled funny so i plugged it back in and it idled fine then started to have a very slight but odd feeling. Like it was barely misfiring. When I shut it off and tried to start it again, it wouldn't.
This says to me there's a vacuum leak. Why? When the MAF is disconnected the PCM uses default values that work well enough to allow the motor to start.

If there's a vacuum leak this causes the MAF to read low. Perhaps too low to allow the motor to start.

Of course a dirty MAF could also create the same situation.

Since this problem got worse while doing work, I would also double check to see if there are any blown fuses. Especially fuse F2.2 and F2.8. Confirm there is +12 volt key on power at the MAF Red (RD) power wire.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If so this could make short work of the problem.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...elm327-usb.57/

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

Last edited by wmburns; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:20 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

^^What he said, if you don't have one , find a buddy who does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page