01 Bullitt - 02, heater, and cat sensors not ready to be smogged - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hello,
I have an 01 Bullitt that I recently replaced the battery terminals on (about a month ago). After doing that, and driving roughly 800 miles in a mix of rural/city/and freeway, I took it in to have it smogged and the 02, 02 heater, and cat sensors weren't ready to test. My shop told me to take it back and drive it some more so I put 200 more miles on it and came back with the same issue. They told me to disconnect the battery to reset evrything, then do the drive cycle. I did that, plus put 300 more miles of mixed use driving on it (mostly freeway, but my daily commute is a 100 mile mix of rural, freeway, and city driving), and they're still not ready (and now a fourth sensor is showing not ready, though they didn't say which).

I left it with the shop to diagnose, and they did the drive cycle as well other diagnostics, but they have no idea. They had me pick it back up and advised me to post this question on forums and ask for help. I googled this question like crazy, but it seems to mostly pop up on later Mustangs, not so much our 4.6s.

The car is bone stock except for a K&N air filter wgich has been on for over a decade. Has anybody experienced this? The car also overheats a bit in really hot weather if I'm stopped in traffic with the AC on (I'm not sure if that's related, but I thought I'd throw it out there). Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Given the amount of driving this is WAAAAAAAAY more driving than needed to complete a drive cycle. The fact that the drive cycle isn't completing given the long time likely means it will NEVER finish.

What's something that can cause this? One possible cause is an unstable charging system. IF the battery to PCM is not stable this will cause the PCM to "forget". This creates a situation where the PCM is having to restart the drive cycle to completion.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...-drop-test.56/

The next thing we need to know is WHICH monitor is not completing.

IF it's the Heated O2 sensors not completing then we need to know IF the O2 sensors are actually switching. Also need to know IF the O2 heaters are actually working. Check fuses F2.2 and F2.8.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...elm327-usb.57/

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page