trying to be less poor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019
GT Member

Garage
Yup, I sure do.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019
GT Member

Garage
It’s supposed to go to a fuel rail bolt that was removed when someone installed that dorman intake manifold and threw away the stock hardware. If I could make a recommendation, get rid of that intake and get a factory Ford intake.
imps likes this.

1998 GT
Rebuild in the works. New crank, 2013 Boss rods, srp .020 over flat top pistons with valve reliefs, 12:1 compression, ported pi heads, comp xe278ah cams.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarrior1016 View Post
Its supposed to go to a fuel rail bolt that was removed when someone installed that dorman intake manifold and threw away the stock hardware. If I could make a recommendation, get rid of that intake and get a factory Ford intake.

Getting rid of it and replacing it isn't practical for me. I quick search explains that it's a ground wire. I guess just figure out somewhere to ground it to?
imps likes this.

trying to be less poor
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019
GT Member

Garage
You could put a ring terminal on the end of the wire and put it under that bolt that holds the fuel rail down.

1998 GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
You could put a ring terminal on the end of the wire and put it under that bolt that holds the fuel rail down.

Ah, So I'd have to cut the wire. That kinda worries me, I'd be worried I'd screw something up.

Is it something that NEEDS to be done. It's be running for year without it grounded

trying to be less poor
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raine247 View Post
Quote:

Ah, So I'd have to cut the wire. That kinda worries me, I'd be worried I'd screw something up.

Is it something that NEEDS to be done. It's be running for year without it grounded
I don’t really remember what that wire is for. However, there isn’t really anything you can mess up if you just cut it off and crimp a new end on it. Maybe Burns will chime in and let us know what this wire is for.
huberoy123 likes this.

1998 GT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Are we interested in knowing what the wire is for or where it goes?

The wire is a ground wire. The purpose is to ground the fuel rail to prevent the build up of static electricity from the flow of fuel inside the fuel rails. By grounding the metal of the fuel rails this keeps the electrical potential at the same level as ground, there's no electrical potential difference that might cause a spark. The separate ground wire is needed because the intake is made of plastic. This makes the metal of the fuel rail electrically isolated from the engine block.

Where the wire goes is to one of the double sided studs that hold the fuel rail down.
kenv, huberoy123 and imps like this.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

Last edited by wmburns; 10-03-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019
GT Member

Garage
Thank you Burns! I knew it was a ground to the fuel rail, but didn’t know what it was for. You never disappoint.

1998 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page