Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 73 351Q
  • 2 Post By ONEZ ST
  • 1 Post By SaddledUp
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Unread 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Do you cover your car?

I ask because we have cats and they like to climb on cars. Usually doesn't matter but a new rule is, no cats on the Mustang.
Is there a good, better, best in the car cover world? I'd like to have one that is impervious to cat claws if such a thing exists. I could put the cover on then a couple of moving blankets if needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I'd just get rid of the cats...

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Pitbull would work

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator

Rookie

covercraft and cover king both have many options for covers
my89foxbody likes this.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I've used Cover Craft in the past on my '89 GT great fit, breathable and multi-layered

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89foxbody View Post
Pitbull would work

A car is a chew toy!

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
I ask because we have cats and they like to climb on cars. Usually doesn't matter but a new rule is, no cats on the Mustang.
Is there a good, better, best in the car cover world? I'd like to have one that is impervious to cat claws if such a thing exists. I could put the cover on then a couple of moving blankets if needed.
I gather you do not have a garage. Or maybe you do and the cats wander into it. Cat claws vs car cover abrasions is the choice you have if you park outside and use a car cover outside where dust WILL find its way under the cover. Over time you will get abrasion marks on the finish using a car cover. Its a tough call but I understand your waning of patience with Sylvester.
kenv and my89foxbody like this.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Rookie

A good car cover is rather expensive. I have used a cover for about ten years, outdoors in sun in Florida and ice and snow in NY. I like the covercraft weathershield material which is thin like an umbrella. I try to find them second hand but unused (people buy them and never use them). They can be like $400 new. They are sort of a 'deal' at $200-300. The ones you see for $50-100 are not really useful at all. Covercraft has a few other materials like 'Noah' which is thicker but certainly not thick enough to stop a cat's claw. I do not think any material made for a car cover would actually be able to prevent a claw from penetrating it. I do not think it would discourage an animal either. I have recently seen squirrels jumping on my car to try to lick the morning dew droplets off the fabric. I believe it was a similar animal that left me with some holes in the cover that looked like claw marks which I had to repair.

I have not noticed any damage overall to the finish, and the car stays remarkably clean compared to just a few nights without a cover. Over a long period of time it did wear through some of the clearcoat on the rear bumper near the license plate which is where the cover is pulled tight against the car. When used outdoors the covers themselves tend to wear out after 2-3 years.

So I don't know what to tell ya about the cat. I don't think a cover is gonna do it though.
Apprentice

Yellow06 has it right about car covers. I might add another caveat if you have feral or neighborhood cats...
Keep a close eye on your wheels. Un-neutered cats love to spray car tires and wheels.
They aim high and that's pretty corrosive stuff. Just F-Y-I.
my89foxbody likes this.

2018 GT Premium Fastback Lightning Blue/Auto10.
2017 Raptor Black/Auto10/Glass Roof.
BOSS Member

What does work is if you visit your local hardware store they have sprays that drive away cats, dogs, etc... you can spray it around the ground of the vehicle and then take a small rag, give it a couple of sprays and lay it at the base of the windshield (not on the paint) and it will take a bit of time but they will understand in just a few days.

If you do go with a car cover, a HD vinyl tarp over it will keep the cats off of it in the summer and in the winter they will just lay on it to keep warm...it does work and helps to keep the interior cooler too

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Unread 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do keep the car garaged (detached) but keep the door propped open so the cats can go in and out.
I think I'll keep using the moving blankets on the trunk/top and hood/fenders. They're soft and thick and are working fine for now.
It's my redneck car cover!
MACH I Member

Garage
I've always had a car cover, creature of habit I guess. Keeps stuff off and out of car. Even now, I still cover the car when at the races or during the off season. When at home I always cover it, not wanting passerby's seeing whats in the garage, just in case. Sitting in the garage 5-6 months, during off season, critters (spiders) like to hang out inside, if not covered. Hate spiders!!

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in