Questions about Blown Stangs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Questions about Blown Stangs

Okay, so as most of you know my son will be buying a car soon. We found a killer deal on a 2006 Mustang GT with a Saleen Supercharger and other mods. I am very worried about gas mileage, so can someone definitely clear for me that this car will get at least 16 MPG city?

Also, the car is an Automatic, will the 475HP stand up to the abuse from that power?

I can gt the car for around 20k, it has 20k miles, good deal?

I am just VERY worried about these issues. I'm not sure if the car will get good MPG with a SC on it and I'm not sure about th automatic being strong.

Let me know, we may look at the car tomorrow and would love opions.

Its a HOT car, but as a first vehicle with gas prices today, I don't want him getting screwed over in a bad car.

Let me know. Any opions greatly appreciated.

Got Gas?
I voted McCain, don't blame me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

How old is he? Alot of power for first car. Although i was 17 when i got my Gt but i did some dumb things with it so remember that but we all do no matter are age. I would say great deal i got a good deal and mine was a stock gt that cost 21 k with 4 k miles on it though.

2005 Mustang GT Auto, SLP Loudmouths, JLT Intake with sct x3 tuner and Bamachips 93 race tune
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
very good deal. he should be able to get more than 16mpg city if he doesnt stomp on it all the time. and is that 475 rwhp? or is it hp at the crank?

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008

my friends got a 07 supercharged v8 mustang and his gas milage is actually not bad at all , there are times when he gets 12ish city but when he drives normal like he didnt steal it he gets up to 17ish and he gets mid high 20's on the high way. but because its supercharged its going to have to run off of premium only. the other thing thats nice about mustangs is that they retain their value very well. i sold my 04 , 60,000 for 15,500. and my 1987 w/ 220,000 miles for 2,000.
hope you guys get it! it will never let you downthats for sure i love them to death.

btw i loveee ur avatar
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008

i dunno where u live since i didnt check but if u live where it snows , make sure the car has t/c which im sure it does anyways , and a good set of winter tires (blizzacks). if u do plan on it being his full time driver. i havent had anyproblems with it in winter as long as my mustangs have had t/c and winter tires
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

We live in Arizona so winter isn't even really a season here.

Well, we do want the car, but we have tried everything to get ahold of the owner and he isn't replieing. He didn't leave a # on the ad so we can't even call.

It may not work out period. Seems if the car was sold a nice guy would at least reply and say it is? I have no idea if the guy really wanted to sell his car why he wouldn't leave a number?

We'll see where it goes though. I am starting to think this is a SCAM though. Which is too bad because my son loves how this car is setup.

Got Gas?
I voted McCain, don't blame me!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008
Apprentice

Even coming from a 20 year old, that's a lot of power for a first car.... I don't think I'd be here today if my first car was a V8, let alone how many times I nearly killed myself in that V6.

2002 Ford Mustang GT - Auto
True Blue Metallic
Previous-Owner Mods:
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, 4:10 gears, Pypes O/R X-Pipe, custom CAI, 65 mm Throttle body/plenum
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member

i am also 20 and let me tell you that is a very very powerful car of an inexperienced driver. my first car was a V6 mustang and that was plenty. i now drive a V8 and have learned A LOT of lessons in the past few years of driving. i lost my licenses for 3 months for street racing. id seriously recommend reconsidering the car just to save yourself and son a lot of potential grief. but with all that said... thats a bad ass car and a great deal

99 Mustang GT (9.2 second 1/8th no spray)

Rebuilding!! forged manley rods--forged piston--Trick flow twisted wedge heads --trick flow stage 2 cams-- Pypes Long Tube -- pypes shorty H -- flowmaster cat back--comp cam valve springs-- A/C Delete -- PP Typhoon intake manifold-- ford racing 4.10's-- upper and lower control arms-- NOS Sniper kit (wet) --
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I would have to agree with these guys. I have always been a very attentive driver, and almost always followed traffic laws. However, I ended up in a hydroplaning wreck about 5 months ago. I hit a concrete wall at 50 mph, and im lucky i walked away. I'm not underestimating his driving skills, just be cautious; most people wreck in their lifetimes within the first few years of driving.
That's a great deal, but that is aloooooot of power for someone that age. My first car was a 3.0l v6, and that was enough. Just something to think about, especially if a serious accident were to occur from "joy" riding.
I got hooked as soon as I saw the GT that I have now. If you did reconsider, it'd be tough to convince him; your kid is gonna be heartbroken for that car if that happens. Good Luck!

99' Rio Red Mustang GT:
Summit O/R H, MAC Flowpaths Turndowns, BBK Shorty Headers, Steeda UDP, K&N FIPK2 intake, Diablosport Delta chip, BBK 75mm throttle body, Trickflow upper plenum, Intake spacer, H&R SS springs, Cross drilled & slotted rotors, "Functional" hood scoop
4.6L Member

Gas mileage will fit what you want and you might as well get a car with some power....People drive dumb from 16-60, 4cyl to v8 just how it is....Just get him somethin hes gunna use and that will work for what he wants to do with it...
MACH I Member
4.6L Member

When i added my blower i noticed a huge diff in gas mileage. If you drive easy and baby it everywhere you can pull off 16-17mpg city. But i drive mine kinda ahrd it get about 12 mpg on average. Just part of the game.

-04 Mustang GT-Intercooled Kenne bell 2.1L supercharged @10psi, bolt ons, 3:73 gears, big brake upgrade, some suspension, 315's rear.

-08 Corvette Z06-B&B exhaust, K&N filter.

-12 Tacoma Prerunner
Apprentice

dude im 20 and i know for a fact if my first car was that powerful i would not be here now... i wouldnt have said that then but i will now. my buddy's got a roush stage 3 and he gets like 15 to 16 in the city and around 20 on the highway

2004 metallic red gt 5 spd, slp long tube headers, slp x pipe, slp loudmouth 2's, k&n cold air intake, accufab 70 mm t/b, procharger ps1, focus fuel pump, sct tune, more coming.
V6 Member

Exclamation

Yeah I agree on that I'm 20 too and I step on the gas hard on my V6 but now I don't do it too often and now I think I'm ready for a V8....

Remember when you're young we like to show our car so a good way to do it is steping on the gas so people can see that it really runs. Get him another car but not a v8 it can be dangerous I've heard a lot of stories about young guys getting killed on fast cars...
GT Member
4.6L Member

What gears does the car have? I have a 2000 GT with the Saleen Series IV blower, I have a 93 Octane race tune, run a Cobra six speed with 0.62 six gear and 373 gears.

My car makes around 425 flywheel hp.

If I drive on highway with the cruise on, I get 25.5 mpg max.

I have 107,5xx miles on the original motor and if treated reasonably, these engines can last a long time even with a blower attached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page