Modding costs and benefits - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003 Thread Starter

Question Modding costs and benefits

Hullo all Im new to the forum and new to mustangs. I used to own a 02 honda civic before it was wrecked and am looking into getting a new mustang gt premium which I've been offered a really good deal on. I was wondering how moddable these cars are. I know that the civic was very unmoddable, expensive to mod with little gains. Can you get large gains NA? Is it practical? I want to stay away from FI, at least for now. How much would it cost to get this car up 40 or 50 hp NA? Thanks.

btw I did search but couldn't think of a good search term to get any results.

-Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003
4.6L Member

Well, I'm glad you've finally came to your senses and got rid of that civic!

Anyways, I could be an ******* and tell you to use search, but I'm feeling nice today.

You're first mods should be, in this order
Un-catted X pipe (get some MIL Eliminators to relieve the check engine light because of no cats)
Catback exhaust
these two alone will net you about 20hp gain. for about $500.
Get a C&L 80mm Mass Air + Cold Air Induction... theres another 15hp for about $375.
Underdrive pullies will add another 10hp, for around $130

and the most important mod to do, to wake up your car... is put a set of 4.10 gears in the rear end. you wont gain any hp, but the car will definatly pep up, MUCH faster.... gears plus install usually totals $500.

that should get you started.... if you have any other questions, check out my sig, or just PM me.

Last edited by Twister; 04-17-2003 at 08:07 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003

mods

Quote:
Originally posted by milw96cobra
Well, I'm glad you've finally came to your senses and got rid of that civic!

Anyways, I could be an ******* and tell you to use search, but I'm feeling nice today.

You're first mods should be, in this order
Un-catted X pipe (get some MIL Eliminators to relieve the check engine light because of no cats)
Catback exhaust
these two alone will net you about 20hp gain. for about $500.
Get a C&L 80mm Mass Air + Cold Air Induction... theres another 15hp for about $375.
Underdrive pullies will add another 10hp, for around $130

and the most important mod to do, to wake up your car... is put a set of 4.10 gears in the rear end. you wont gain any hp, but the car will definatly pep up, MUCH faster.... gears plus install usually totals $500.

that should get you started.... if you have any other questions, check out my sig, or just PM me.
I totally agree with you Milw
my first mod was Bassani X pipe with cat's and Flowmaster two chamber
full catback with 2.5 in. tips.I think everyones' first mod should be exhaust and than so on.THANKS for giving him awesome advice.Good
thing you got rid of that dawn civic!

Last edited by Twister; 04-17-2003 at 08:10 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003
V6 Member

Any V8 is moddable compared to a civic. You can get 50 hp fairly easily, may have to drop $1,500 or more but damn its fun!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
I would look into getting gears even before the exhaust. (But the exhaust will help). The 4.6L engines make their power in higher rpm's than the 5.0L's that used to be in the stangs. Changing from the stock 3.27's to 3.73's or 4.10's will get you into the engines rpm band quicker.

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page