Insurance repair question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008 Thread Starter

Insurance repair question

Ok so I bought my 2003 Automatic GT on 9/15/08. And already last week some lady in an 07 eclipse ran into my right rear. Heres pics of damage.

As you can see the bumper needs replaced and the exhaust pipe was pushed back far enough for it to come out of its rubber harness......thus its being replaced. The chosen estimate comes out to $851. The lady had Farm Bureau insurance and I have already contacted them and the check is being sent out tomorrow.

Heres my situation.....on all three estimates the price they are charging for JUST the original RIGHT cat back only is a whopping 250-270 dollars. So I stopped and thought.....I could just buy a set of MAC catbacks for 300-350 dollars and pay the difference and get one hell of a discount on some decent pipes.

So my question is.....will the check they send me be in my name, or the body shop's name?
If the check is in the body shop's name how can I negotiate the process of me buying my own cat backs and covering the difference between the OEM catbacks and aftermarket ones? As opposed to them buying the OEM parts themself? Am I breaking any laws or putting any liability on the insurance company or body shop?

Also.....If I don't increase diameter of my pipes how much of a sound boost can I expect? What is the main thing that increases exhaust sound.....muffler chambering or pipe diameter/width?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
your name, mine was. moral of the lesson, save your sales slips, and get more customisation insureance :P

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
PONY Member
5.0L Member

yea it should be in your name

04 GT: Built MMR 900 shortblock with trickflow heads and custom cams,vortech T-Trim intercooled @10psi,longtubes, all the bolt ons sct 2600 maf 60lb injectors, dual 03/04 cobra pumps with tank..you get the idea... dynoed at 476rwhp and 438rwtq on a concervative tune Next: Snow Performance Meth Injection Kit and More BOOST!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Just call their representative and tell them to make the check in your name. They usually do this anyway, but some don't, if you call and tell them they will, its your right.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
PONY Member

The check will be in your name. We all know someone who has kept the check and didn't fix the car. As for the exhaust, typically it is the design of the muffler that increases sound. The less chambers it has and more straight through the design, the louder. That said, A bigger pipe will be a bit louder and those big tips (echo tips)act as a megaphone. Too big on the pipes and tips sounds bad anyway. Stick with a nice muffler.

97 Cobra w/T56, alum DS, SPEC111 clutch, 4:10's, T&J Performance Forged 4v(8.9:1), Manley H-beams, Novi 2000 (21psi w/ 2.7'' pulley) Fast Track A/A I/C, Accufab 1696cfm TB, modified intake, Blow-through meter, Barry Grant Fuel syst., longtubes and H-pipe, 40 Flows, MSD ignition, Detroit True Track, 315 NT01's on 17 x 11's, 640 RWHP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page