Compression ratio - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008 Thread Starter

Compression ratio

I have a 2003 gt and am looking at the 2.6L kenne bell. it says when running 15-20 psi i need to have a 8-8.5 compression ratio. now in order to get that is it all in the pistons or do the heads play a part in that. i am looking at the stage 2 heads from patriot and a set of cams from comp but still undecided about the rotating assembly for the bottom end i need some help with getting that ratio down any help is greatful i have looked at lovernois for the bottom end but their ratio is saying 9:1 can someone plz help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member

The cylinder heads do play a part in compression, as their combustion chamber volume is part of the calculation. You can find good calculators online to help you make your decision.

I'd need someone to verify, but I seem to recall that the 2003 GT motors come with a 18cc dish piston and come in at around 9 and half compression. If you can swap to a deeper dish (like 23 or 24), your compression should drop to around 8 and a half, but that's assuming stock heads. I think the stock PI heads have a combustion chamber volume of 42cc, so if your new heads have more, your compression will drop a bit just from that.

96 GT - Triple Black, Lowered - Full PI Swap, P&P Heads, Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmasters

Current Project: 86 GT Hatch
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

The heads play a big part in the compression ratio, so does the shape and height of the pistons, and the amount the block is bored over stock. When you bore an engine it raises the compression ratio. There are no shortage of piston choices, just make sure you get good forged ones and good rods. Your best bet is to speak with a good machinist who has a lot of experience with modular engines and plan the build carefully, 15-20psi is going to make a lot of power, I would guess easily over 700 to the crank so you want to make sure you have the right combo to handle it and last. I've had great experience with JE ultralight pistons, but not in a modular and I don't even know what they have available for them.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
JE and Manley are the two piston brands I would trust on a high boost build like this.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page