Goin to test drive a 98 Cobra.. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

300rwhp will be much easier with the Cobra than it will with a GT, however. There are several bolt on Cobras making 300+rwhp. In a GT it will take a good port-job, cams, bullitt intake (most likely) and a solid tune.

How about comparing two of the fastest bolt on Mustangs out there: Bob Cosby's 99 Cobra and Bill Putnam's '00 GT.

Bob's Cobra with just bolt ons and suspension went 11.8s at 112 on BFG DR's (he has since gone mid 11s on slicks.)

Bill's GT with boltons and suspension has gone 12.47 at 108 on ET Drags.

These are two perfect examples of what well setup cars can do. Bill's car makes about 260rwhp while Bob's car makes a little over 300rwhp.

SOLD: PI Headed '98 GT - 248rwhp/306rwtq - [email protected] (2.0 60ft 3300+ DA)

'11 TDI Sportwagen - 50 mpg Daily Driver - Not Quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jasons99gt
Only difference to me is that you are driving a much more scarce vehicle. My buddy is running a fairly stock 98 cobra ( O/r pipe, catback, pullies, CAI) at 13.7

Very capable of 12s for a couple grand.

Later,
Jason

99gt vert, CAI, Ford Racing Shortie Headers, MAC 2.5in catback, MAC o/r h-pipe, FRPP alum. driveshaft, March underdrive pullies, sct custom dyno tune, eibach pro-kit, bullitt alum pedals, Cobra Brake Kit, Tokico shocks and struts, PIAA bright whites...FRPP 4.10s!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to 1998GT
What are the big differences with the GT and cobra besides the obvious ones like the DOHC engine and exterior stuff... Any suspension differences??

~Luke

4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mana4Real
A buddy of mine has a 97 cobra... It put down 260 RWHP and 260 RWTQ... Same mods as me plus a few... I put down the numbers below, I beat him everytime we race. We're both really good drivers. But my car just sneaks away from him. From a start, and from a roll.
Lay off the bottle! j/k
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to 1998GT
I went and just looked at it today... Let me tell you, this stang is a beautiful car... It is the exact same color as mine, black. Its got 15k miles on it. The car looks excellent. I love the wheels on it. I convinced my dad is getting some of those wheels for our next mod... Going to go test drive it this weekend. Had to roll up in the Kia :/ . My dad and I were kinda debating.. He thinks that the cobra isn't that much faster than my GT.. I think that the cobra would blow the doors off... Whos rite? THanks

~Luke

4.6L Member

Stock it won't, but give it the same few mods you've done to your car and it will. I myself would not buy a 96-98 Cobra because of the easy upgrading it is for the GT to hang with one. But, I would buy a 95 Cobra, now those are mean sounding and hard performing cars. A few internal mods on one of those and its gone.......

But I do love the looks of the 96-98 Cobras, depends what your real intentions are for a car.
PONY Member

the Cobra should walk your car even with your gears. Its easily a high 13 second car with a good driver. IMO the 96-98 Cobras are very moddable: add a supercharger and you're looking at an easy 400rwhp. The '94/95 Cobras can be modded to be made quick, but stock they'd get their asses whooped by a '99 GT.

SOLD: PI Headed '98 GT - 248rwhp/306rwtq - [email protected] (2.0 60ft 3300+ DA)

'11 TDI Sportwagen - 50 mpg Daily Driver - Not Quick.
Mana4Real

Quote:
Originally posted by 1998GT
My dad and I were kinda debating.. He thinks that the cobra isn't that much faster than my GT.. I think that the cobra would blow the doors off... Whos rite? THanks

~Luke
The cobra is going to be a lot faster.
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
Another thing to think about are the mods that are gonna cost on the Cobra, especially if you ever decide to go into the motor. Usually parts are more expensive for the Cobra than for the GT, and some parts even double with price.

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
Mana4Real

Quote:
Originally posted by StalkerStang
Another thing to think about are the mods that are gonna cost on the Cobra, especially if you ever decide to go into the motor. Usually parts are more expensive for the Cobra than for the GT, and some parts even double with price.
Of course, you need twice as many cams
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1998GT
I went and just looked at it today... Let me tell you, this stang is a beautiful car... It is the exact same color as mine, black. Its got 15k miles on it. The car looks excellent. I love the wheels on it. I convinced my dad is getting some of those wheels for our next mod... Going to go test drive it this weekend. Had to roll up in the Kia :/ . My dad and I were kinda debating.. He thinks that the cobra isn't that much faster than my GT.. I think that the cobra would blow the doors off... Whos rite? THanks

~Luke
So what happen with your test drive.. :green .. did you like it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page