Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i have a maf question

799 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  RodKnockin5.0 
#1 ·
i was wondering if i buy a 90mm lightning maf and put it to my saleen will i need a tune or will the air flow fine without a tune and get me alittle more horses?

#2 ·
my car had an aftermarket MAF on it when i got it and it didn't have a tune to my knowledge. and the car ran the same when i replaced it with an oem one. so i don't think you have to get a tune, but if you want to get the most out of it you should get one.

#3 ·
a bigger MAF wont do any good without a bigger TB, and a bigger TB and MAF wont do any good without a good port job to the heads and intake, and 90mm maf is okay, but make sure your TB isnt too big,

for instance a 90 mm TB would do an overkill job on your injectors

stock anyways,

but i guess with a maf without a tune you might get maybe 1-2 hp or so.....

what mods do you have right now?

maybe this isnt a great mod for the position your in with your car...

but if you want to go ahead man

thats just what i think

#4 ·
well im gettin a good deal on this maf 40 bucks and i dont want to put it on if its gunna ruin anything.

i have a borla exhaust, big k &n air filter , chicane pulley and a supercharger.

should i put it on or just wait till i get a bigger tb and intake tube

#5 ·
40 BUCKS!! id buy it as long as you could make sure it is working properly. and i would def get a tune with those mods.

#6 ·
yeah buy it.... especailly for $40,

you can put it on and see what itll do it as simple as 4 bolts, so if it doesnt work out take it off untill you save up enough cash for a TB and port job,

as for your next mod.... depending if you get ALOT of wheel spin now?

ide say get gears

#7 ·
yea but can i still run the maf with out a tune and it be ok?? i just feel like putting it on tonight but i dont wanna screw anything up. i have original tb so its not gunna gain much hp to the car but i just wanna put the maf on to have something to do and then take it out for a sec.

#8 ·
oh yea it wont hurt anything, just put it on and take it for a spin and let us know man

#9 ·
Bad thing #1 - The ECU controls injector pulsewidth based on the data it is receiving from the MAF signal. It tries to maintain the commanded air to fuel ratio in the base fuel table. For a naturally aspirated engine at wide open throttle, this is usually around 12.5:1. On a blower or turbo motor, this is 11.5-12.0 depending on a number of variables. Once the voltage limit is attained, the ECU 'thinks' that there is no more air coming into the engine so it does not increse fuel flow. But there is an ever increasing airflow - so what happens is the engine goes lean very quickly. The end result is burned pistons, valves,detonation, blown head gaskets... you get the picture, the bottom line is you better be in a spending mood, because you'll need a new engine. This is especially bad with a blower or turbo motor.
Bad Thing #2 - The MAF does another key function for engine control. It supplies data to the ECU so the ECU can calculate "load". Load is similar to volumetric efficiency, it is a measure of the engine's capacity to fill each cylinder with air/fuel. What's important is that load is used by the ECU for a number of things, two of the things are timing and air to fuel ratio. Generally at low loads, timing is much higher and fuel is much leaner than at higher loads. When the MAF pegs however, the load measurement starts drifting down. So timing goes up and fuel goes even leaner.
Bad Thing #1 + Bad Thing #2 = BOOOM!!

i read this on a site.... can this seriously happen?

#11 ·
itll be fine just dont put it on and go drag race, take her around the block, and if it doesnt feel right take it off and put it in the closet untill you get more $

#13 ·
no prob hope it works out

#15 ·
I don't know about that. I wouldn't put it on without a tune. Without a tune its going to do nothing for your car car as gthe car will think it has the old sensor on. And with that theres going to be unregistered air going in that the computers not going to know about making it run lean. But hey thats a hell of a deal for the sensor. Good find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.