Horsepower Numbers?/Typhoon Intake Manifold - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Horsepower Numbers?/Typhoon Intake Manifold

I have a 99 GT with the following mods; Roush cold air intake, Professional products 70mm throttle body and plenum, throttle body spacer, steeda underdrive pulleys, flowmaster catback w/super 40 mufflers and pacesetter o/r x-pipe. Can anyone give me an idea of what kinda numbers i should see on a dyno? Also been looking at getting a professional products typhoon intake manifold, is it worth the money?

99 mustang gt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstang69 View Post
I have a 99 GT with the following mods; Roush cold air intake, Professional products 70mm throttle body and plenum, throttle body spacer, steeda underdrive pulleys, flowmaster catback w/super 40 mufflers and pacesetter o/r x-pipe. Can anyone give me an idea of what kinda numbers i should see on a dyno? Also been looking at getting a professional products typhoon intake manifold, is it worth the money?
hey man i havent gotten mine dynoed yet but i will in the next few months we have about the same mods and i can tell you that with the intake you will notice a considerable difference definitely worth it. a lot of people say the typhoons suck but i have not experienced any of the problems people have seen with them

99 Mustang GT (9.2 second 1/8th no spray)

Rebuilding!! forged manley rods--forged piston--Trick flow twisted wedge heads --trick flow stage 2 cams-- Pypes Long Tube -- pypes shorty H -- flowmaster cat back--comp cam valve springs-- A/C Delete -- PP Typhoon intake manifold-- ford racing 4.10's-- upper and lower control arms-- NOS Sniper kit (wet) --
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Thanks for the input, have had several people tell me its a waste but none of them actually have one.

99 mustang gt

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008
Apprentice

Any in take manifold is a waste of money unless u have the right mods to support. On average, with just a manifold, the car will gain about 15-20hp, but lose a lot of low end torque. Another bad thing is that almost all aftermarket manifolds are not mad of composite but with a metal material instead which will hold more heat regardless. The way to get the MOST out of that manifold is to get a set of cams to match the intake.

BLACK 1999 Mustang GT 5-speed
Smoked healights, tailights, and foglights,Mach 1 Chin spoiler,American Racing Rebels with Toyo Proxes 4,BBK Cold air,
BBK X-pipe with Flowmaster 40s,
MGW short throw shifter,
Spec Stage 1 Clutch with the Steeda Ajuster kit
Strange 10-way Shocks/Struts, Prothane iso's, H&R SS spings, M&M CC Plates
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008
GT Member
4.6L Member

but doesn't the metal also dissapate the heat more efficiently than the plastic?

03 Mach 1: New toy
00 Kenne Bell GT vert: Sold
04 Sonic Blue GT: Missed
96 GT: First. Sold.

06 F250 6.0L 4x4: Studded, EGR delete, IDP tunes, 5" Straight pipe, S&B CAI
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008
PONY Member
5.0L Member

i like mine you will notice a different

04 GT: Built MMR 900 shortblock with trickflow heads and custom cams,vortech T-Trim intercooled @10psi,longtubes, all the bolt ons sct 2600 maf 60lb injectors, dual 03/04 cobra pumps with tank..you get the idea... dynoed at 476rwhp and 438rwtq on a concervative tune Next: Snow Performance Meth Injection Kit and More BOOST!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoboi08 View Post
but doesn't the metal also dissapate the heat more efficiently than the plastic?
Nope. The composite plastic doesn't hold the heat. The metal will. After you shut off your car, you will be able to touch your composite instake, but your regret touching that metal intake.

Don't get me wrong intake manifolds are great if you have a good setup for them, but if you slap them on a nearly stock car and hope for some nice power gains your going to be disappointed.

BLACK 1999 Mustang GT 5-speed
Smoked healights, tailights, and foglights,Mach 1 Chin spoiler,American Racing Rebels with Toyo Proxes 4,BBK Cold air,
BBK X-pipe with Flowmaster 40s,
MGW short throw shifter,
Spec Stage 1 Clutch with the Steeda Ajuster kit
Strange 10-way Shocks/Struts, Prothane iso's, H&R SS spings, M&M CC Plates
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

I would save the money and go with gears and tune. Your stock intake manifold does just fine

2003 Mustang GT Fobra, Sonic Blue 4R70W
400rwhp/382rwtq - Mods in profile
Tuned by All Out Performance

Daily Driver
2001 Mustang V6, Oxford White 4R70W
Mods in profile
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008
PONY Member
5.0L Member

the after market intake is stronger than the plastic one..i still would recommend one eventually but there are things you could do before that to get more horsepower

04 GT: Built MMR 900 shortblock with trickflow heads and custom cams,vortech T-Trim intercooled @10psi,longtubes, all the bolt ons sct 2600 maf 60lb injectors, dual 03/04 cobra pumps with tank..you get the idea... dynoed at 476rwhp and 438rwtq on a concervative tune Next: Snow Performance Meth Injection Kit and More BOOST!
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstang69 View Post
Thanks for the input, have had several people tell me its a waste but none of them actually have one.
I actually read a article shortly after they came out with it in 5.0 and Supper Fords or Moded Mustangs can't remember which. They said it dynoed an additional 11-15 HP NA and was the only after market Intake that actual affected the NA 2V motor.

2002 GT Auto Vert / MHS Stage II Cams, C&L Plenum, C&L Inlet Pipe, C&L 85mm MAF w/CAI, BBK 75mm TB, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow CB & cated-X, MSD COPs, Diablosport, FRPP 4.10 gears, March SFI UDP, Ebiach springs, Bilstein and MMR suspension, Amsoil synthetic oil, ATF, and gear lube /
Apprentice
4.6L Member

anyone have reall numbers?

2002 GT Auto Vert / MHS Stage II Cams, C&L Plenum, C&L Inlet Pipe, C&L 85mm MAF w/CAI, BBK 75mm TB, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow CB & cated-X, MSD COPs, Diablosport, FRPP 4.10 gears, March SFI UDP, Ebiach springs, Bilstein and MMR suspension, Amsoil synthetic oil, ATF, and gear lube /
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
anyone have reall numbers?
+25.97 HP and 21.32 Tq
AFM - Typhoon Warning

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Ok well i'll ask this question, what should that $500 bucks be spent on if i don't get the maniford? and don't say gears and headers i've already ordered them

99 mustang gt
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Cams and valvetrain.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

the intakes on the 2v actually perform well. I would spend the money elsewhere.

03 Mach 1, Full eaton swap,4;10s, slp 2 with mac H pipe, 443 rwhp tuned by Excessive

1990 lx fully built 331 stroker

89 LX lots of goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page