1996 GT Roll Bar for Vert - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

1996 GT Roll Bar for Vert

I'd like to get a roll bar for my 96 vert. I have a three year old, and I'm not really comfortable with the idea of not having one when he's with me.

I've seen some light bar style bars that look pretty nice. They seem to run around 450 and are supposed to install easily... presumably just bolting right up.

Has anyone done this before? Suggestions on brand? I'd really like to keep it as affordable as possible. Are there non-lighted cheaper versions around that are just as safe? Thanks!

96 GT - Triple Black, Lowered - Full PI Swap, P&P Heads, Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmasters

Current Project: 86 GT Hatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009
PONY Member

Im sorry I cant help I to have a 96 vert, the light style bar is NOT a roll bar owever,it for loks, hence the "styling" part...however ifyour still intrested, AMERICANMUSCLE.com should have an instructional video...

Beer on the table.
*ROAD RUNNER*
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Ok, I thought they were light bars that were beefy enough to protect in case of roll over. So that's not the case? Where can I get a roll bar?

96 GT - Triple Black, Lowered - Full PI Swap, P&P Heads, Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmasters

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I think mustangs unlimited have roll bar kits for convertibles. Also ive seen people put a roll bar in and put the light bar right in front of the roll bar so you dont notice the roll bar. But IMO roll cage/bar dont look right in convertibles if its not meant for the track.

2001 Mustang GT Mineral Grey
GMR #0017 GreyStangs.com
125 ZEX Wet kit
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Oh wow. Those are pretty raw looking. Don't suppose there's something like a light bar that would help us, say, not die if we flip the car over? That tubing is a bit intrusive.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009
Rookie

Hi,

I am in the same situation I have two you kids and would like a bar that looks good and protects from a rollover. I will keep checking back to see if you find anything. Good Luck. I will let you know if I find anything.

Jeff
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009
PONY Member

A light bar is only for show. NHRA sanctioned tracks require a 6 point bar for any Vert running faster than 13.99 in the 1/4 mile. This is more than enough protection in the event of a rollover at normal speeds.

They're raw looking because they're actually functional, anything that looks good won't protect you. They also make getting in and out of the car a PITA, unless you've got swing out sidebars, which add to the cost.

SOLD: PI Headed '98 GT - 248rwhp/306rwtq - [email protected] (2.0 60ft 3300+ DA)

'11 TDI Sportwagen - 50 mpg Daily Driver - Not Quick.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

That's disappointing. Honestly, there's no reason why the main crossover piece can't be wrapped up to look as nice as light bars. If it were a simple 4-point bar with a padded top bar and out-of-the-way support struts, I'd be all for it.

PONY Member

I've seen leather wrapped roll bars that look quite nice. This is usually custom stuff, as most metal fabrication shops aren't the best at sewing fine Italian leather

You could get a 4 point bar and at least have the crossbar wrapped, but you'd be spending $$$ on a bar (and the cost of having it installed) and still not be NHRA compliant.

A 4pt bar is safer than no bar at all, but obviously it's no 6pt NHRA bar.

SOLD: PI Headed '98 GT - 248rwhp/306rwtq - [email protected] (2.0 60ft 3300+ DA)

'11 TDI Sportwagen - 50 mpg Daily Driver - Not Quick.
Apprentice
4.6L Member

You got to look at the physics of a roll over. If you just have one bar going across the top of the car with no supporting bars it might as well just not be there. Yes the roll bars are strong but one bar versus a 3000+ pound car plus the force of the roll over, isn't going to hold up to well. The cages are designed to play off of each other to eliminate the weak point where it would bend. They aren't going to make a single bar roll bar because its not going to help you any in a roll over, hince the non functional styling bar.

2001 Mustang GT Mineral Grey
GMR #0017 GreyStangs.com
125 ZEX Wet kit
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I know that more points equals more protection (to an extent), but this isn't to keep me safe at the track. This is to keep me and my family safe as we drive around town and on the highway. I think a 4 point system would do fine in this situation, but I'd like to get one that doesn't look like I'm trying to build a track car if possible. I'll see if I can find some wrapped bars.

When I sit in the car and think about what would happen if the car were upside down, it worries me. The only higher point on the car than my head is the windshield. Assuming that crumples, there is nothing to protect us.

PONY Member
4.6L Member

I have two kids, and the cage in my car has swing out door bars and the harness bar is removable. The seat belt harness being removable is big for me. When the kids are in, I don't want them smashing thier face on that bar if we're ever in a front collision. My whole cage(other than the seatbelt harness) is padded. And the bars that extend back to the wheel well are on top of the well and not in the front, so it gives the kids more arm room. I attached a couple pics that kinda show it. Sorry I couldn't find any better pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e_MG_9146.jpg
Views:	6208
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	62439   Click image for larger version

Name:	e_MG_9371.jpg
Views:	22061
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	62440  

C&L 80mm mass air, Mac CAI, BBK 65mm tb, Steeda ud pulleys, MGW shifter, RAM HD clutch and aluminum flywheel, 3:73 gears, 2.5" Dynomax o/r x pipe, 3" MAC cat back system w/ 3 1/2" tips, Kenny Brown(front and rear strut tower brace, caster plates, subframe connectors,extreme matrix brace,jacking rails, torque brace, lowering springs), Tokico D-Spec shocks, 03-04 Cobra(side scoops, rear bumper cover, top), 6pt roll cage, white FR500's, FMS 2000 Cobra R air dam, Steeda race wing, VIS carbon hood.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

A 6 point roll bar with removable cross bar and swing-out door bars is what you want for actual protection (vs looks). ANY of these bars can be padded (which makes them look "better") using the padding which Maximum Motorsports offers (I believe its called "AutoPad" or the like). Sold in 3 foot sections. Any competent upholstery shop can then upholster it to fit your taste.

"Light" bars are not safety devices. My thinking is that they ARE "light" bars, ie, best used for mounting an additional brake light.

4 point bars can be beefed up with a cross-bar, at which point they are SOME protection, though not up to sanctioned standards.

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."

style bar install

I know this is going to sound wrong. I dont want to sound offensive but if you have kids in a convertable and worry about a roll over, then you should not have kids in the car!

As a rule, I wont take kids. If by chance I do then it is at low speeds.

On another note, I am installing a style bar on my '05 Rouch. Anyone else do a self install? I have started and so far have had no problems. I am worry about the wireing. Just have not gotten that far yet.

Not allot of pics of convertable's with stly bars..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page