Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001 mustang battery drain

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  neverenough67 
#1 ·
I could be wrong but I think the Mach 4 cd player is acting up.Any help or thoughts would be greatly apprecieated.

#4 ·
Can you give more info? Did you install the stereo or it was like that already? Have you checked you battery? If is not the battery you will need a diagram for you stereo to make sure all the wires are right...:bigthumbsup

:welcome To AFM! Hope you enjoy the site...:D

#5 ·
Factory installed with cd player/changer Mach4.I got in it to start,could hear the cd player attempting to change disks.It was empty. Wouldn't start, jumped car drove home.Go to leave again dead battery.Installed new battery fired right up.Three hours later dead battery.Charged battery overnight fired right up.Thought maybe it was alternator pulled positive cable stayed running.Seems like something is draining when its not running.

#6 ·
sounds to me like your CD player has a short in it and now it is drawing current. if you have a dvom you can chech your continuity/current draw. or you can have autozone do it for you.

disconnect the negative battery cable only.
make sure both doors and trunk are fully closed, radio is off, key is off, headlamps off, everything OFF.
also, if you have anything plugged into your cigarette lighter, unplug it.

take your dvom, set it to DC mA, put the negative test lead to the negative post of the battery, and put the positive test lead on the negative battery cable. you shouldnt be seeing any more than 25-30 mA.

*note, when you hook up your dvom negative test lead, use the 10A fuse, not the 300mA fuse, you'll likely blow it out, and that fuse is like 20 bucks to replace, i've blown mine like 4 times lol.

now if you see a much higher draw than your supposed to, go back and completely unplug your radio/CD player, and then check your draw again. if you now see a draw that is below 25-30mA, then your CD player is at fault.

#7 ·
Is there any way you can contact the previous owner and ask him what thing he had done to the car, those things are also happening to me, so I know how it feels its also embarrasing to have a nice car and needing a jumpstart everyday...

You can take where they install stereos if that's not the problem I will give you a couple of ideas I've heard:
PCM
Alarm
Does you car takes a lot of time to start after its getting a jump start? is the answer is no then it could also be your ignition switch... cuz i had the problem before cuz my previous alarm had a button to turn the car on... I have a long story but I won't type it cuz its a lot...:gringreen
If you can hear your stereo then Is not getting enough current, take it out and check if the cables are well connected...:bigthumbsup

#8 ·
also check your fuses b/c I had something happen like that where I had my battery just go bad on me...then I put a new battery in and my car was still running straight off the battery and my alt. was completely fine...i think it's a 10 or 15amp fuse not sure but it was blown and my car wouldnt start at all

#9 ·
I think this is another Mustang problem...:laugh: It need to be a sticky one...:gringreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.