sounds like bs to me - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

sounds like bs to me

well i went to start my car and it wouldnt start

had my dad look at it and he said that my year (2000) mustangs have a switch or button by the clutch thats suppose to prevent me from starting the car in gear...says the button must be broke told me to hit the clutch a coulpe times then try starting...

i find my self beating the crap out of my clutch and eventually it will start or if im lucky im on a hill and can let the car drift then pop the clutch to get it started...just wondering has anyone experienced this or heard anything like that or do you think its something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

I have a 2000 GT also and yes there is a clutch safety switch that prevents the car from starting with the clutch pedal out.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member

yes cars with a clutch have a switch. they have been on cars and trucks from at lest 1988.

1998 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
1997 Ford F250 4X4 Supercab PowerStroke

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

This is straight cut and pasted from my Ford Service DVD for the 2000 Mustang GT:

Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) Switch
The CPP switch for:
  • a manual transmission closes when the clutch pedal is depressed, completing the starting circuit.
  • an automatic transmission is a jumper inserted in place of the CPP switch to complete the circuit.
Starter System — Operation
When the ignition switch is turned to the START position the starter relay switches power to the starter solenoid causing the starter motor to engage as long as:
  • the clutch pedal is depressed (manual transmission only).
  • the digital transmission range (TR) sensor is in PARK or NEUTRAL (automatic transmission only).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

I found that out the hard way... First day of owning the car, set it in neutral, and tried starting... no dice... That is... until I got pissed, got in, and started like I normally do: press the clutch in

2002 GT Ford Mustang V8 4.6L Satin Silver
... Pony far away from home ...
Silver / Gray Mustang Registry member #0009
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009
V6 Member

Arrow

I don't know what they did on mine but I don't need to do that to start mine... Which feels great.. just me..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Its easy to bypass the switch, but I don't like that, it will start in gear like that and can be dangerous, the switch is pretty cheap and relatively easy to replace, I would try removing the connector and testing to make sure it has power going to it and then check for continuity in the switch itself if you want to see if it is the problem, but might as well just get a new switch. If that's not the problem, it may be bent or such so that the pedal doesn't hit the switch right, just be carefull when you check that, its easy to pinch a finger in there when you move the pedal, and it hurts like hell. And yes, I learned that the hard way a long time ago, got a scar for it and invented a few colorful words as well.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

lol thanks ill prob just replace it

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
Its easy to bypass the switch, but I don't like that, it will start in gear like that and can be dangerous, the switch is pretty cheap and relatively easy to replace, I would try removing the connector and testing to make sure it has power going to it and then check for continuity in the switch itself if you want to see if it is the problem, but might as well just get a new switch. If that's not the problem, it may be bent or such so that the pedal doesn't hit the switch right, just be carefull when you check that, its easy to pinch a finger in there when you move the pedal, and it hurts like hell. And yes, I learned that the hard way a long time ago, got a scar for it and invented a few colorful words as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page